The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    There is a stout called Taddycaster that is quite good...
    I like it!

What a sweet eye he has! What if you played with his name a little and made it "Blame it on the Busch"

Good luck with the PPE!!

Friend of mine had a horse named Miller Time and barn name Miller. He was the last horse to go through a long sale. He was hell on wheels too.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

He's adorable!! Good luck!!

you could call him Lager. Or Barley Sandwich .

He's mine

Passed his PPE with flying colors. Loaded on the trailer easily and is happy out in his field with his new bubby Loveton. Trainer loves him too which is nice (she didn't see him before I brought him home----been buying horses a long time so she knows I have decent taste).

Another great one from Three Plain Bays!!!! He never made it on the web site

And his cute face I'll have to get some better pictures this week. I'm looking forward to getting to know him!

ETA: I'm calling him Porter...will work on a show name later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porter.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	36941  
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 10, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Bummer I didnt get to you before you decided on Porter (which I love) Leinenkugel just has such a ring to it ,eh?! COngrats!

Very cute. If you change your mind....how about "W" ? Best of luck with him.

OMG....I'm in love. This isn't going to be a sale horse.....he will be mine

I let Porter settle for a day. He is still anxious in the barn but happy in his turnout with his new buddy. It will just take some time but damn he is great to work with.

I lunged him yesterday for a short time and introduced him to side reins. No issue. Got on as a lesson was starting in the ring...stood at the mounting block until I was on and happily walked around. Doesn't stand so getting off is right now is at the walk but no biggie...that will go away in a week or two.

Today, lunged him in the ring with two other horses working. Was great. Looking around but still trying to do what I asked and got more and more focused on me. (just walking and trotting on the lunge line). Got on after about 10 minutes. Again stood still at the mounting block...VERY cool. WTC both ways including some turns around some fence (steering check!). Didn't mind horses passing him or coming right at him. Didn't spook at things going on out of the ring. Picked up both leads and even got close to an actual canter (ok, bit of a hand gallop to the right but better to the left).....and did 2 flying lead changes Didn't ask for the lead changes but when I put my inside leg to keep him on the rail...he changed leads, then changed back as we got into the turn. My trainer happened to be watching and was laughing at him saying "guess his changes will not be a problem!"

Then we went for a short hack around the farm with a friend. He powered past his baby sitter (at the walk) and took the lead...then left his friend in the dust. This boy has a huge walk and didn't care where his "baby sitter" buddy was...just happy to go where I pointed. Then when his "baby sitter" had a mild melt down at horses running in a near field...Porter was the calm one! LOVE it!

He needs a lot of flat work (really knows nothing about contact or legs) but while the weather is decent...we will spend as much time hacking out. I will need to find out soon how he is about crossing water...but given what I felt today, I'm not concerned. What a cool cool horse. Watch for us out eventing next year!....damn....I'm going to have to tell my family about him at some point so I can post pictures on Facebook....just not quite yet
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Considering how he splish splashed around in my sodden ring I doubt water will be an issue..I AM SO GLAD YOU GOT HIM!!!!!!...oxoxoxox

I LOVE HIM!!!!! BFNW, you've got good taste!

Congratulations and please keep us posted with updates
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I LOVE HIM!!!!! BFNW, you've got good taste!

Congratulations and please keep us posted with updates

JudyBigRedPony picked him first I just moved fast to buy him from her before anyone else!

Yeah! We can do our 5 year old OTTB together. You're a little far to do a team, but we ought to come up with a way to have virtual teams. We can pick teams based on who is riding where at what level then do the scoring once we all get home!

Congrats!!! Sounds like you're going to have oodles of fun

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Yeah! We can do our 5 year old OTTB together. You're a little far to do a team, but we ought to come up with a way to have virtual teams. We can pick teams based on who is riding where at what level then do the scoring once we all get home!
    Sounds like a fun idea

Another good ride today..even started stretching into the contact....just can't go straight yet Went on a hack around the farm by himself and was super brave. My trainer is going to hop on him tomorrow so it should be fun and give me some good ideas

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats!!! He looks wonderful and sounds like he has a fabulous attitude to match. How FUN!!!

So Porter is still doing fabulous...great to take out hacking alone or in company. Still haven't told my family about him so will not post about him on face book

I lost almost 2 weeks with the storms and lost shoes! Got on him yesterday and it was like we had never stopped. Got on him today and since a little jump was set in the ring, I thought I would see what he would do (I'd trotted over poles with no issues). He is sooooo cool. Just trotted over the crossrail like a cavaletti. Had to raise it to a little two foot vertical to get him to actually jump! So not the drama We will not do much jumping yet (needs more work on the flat)...just play with some simple little single fences to keep it interesting. After the ride, he put his head in my arms for a big hug. Such a sweetie. Yeah....this one will probably not ever be for sale

2 members found this post helpful.

He looks super cute! I hid the recipient mare carrying an ET foal for about about three months. Eventually had to fess up because my husband was also in the dark and we have a joint checking account. Had to explain those checks to Peterson & Smith.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    He looks super cute! I hid the recipient mare carrying an ET foal for about about three months. Eventually had to fess up because my husband was also in the dark and we have a joint checking account. Had to explain those checks to Peterson & Smith.
    LOL....I pay for everything so no risk there. It's just my mom...I support her too and she would rather I spent my money on furniture or fancy clothes (so not me but it is her).....my money, but just not worth the fight She can't tell my horses apart anyway...so at some point I will just post something about him and when she asks, I'll just say I've had him a while didn't she remember...and give her a hard time about not knowing my horses

Ohhhh the mind games we have to do with our family to live without conflict

3 members found this post helpful.

OMG. Too funny BFNE. A collector, looking forward to meeting him!! How's the farm coming??
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    OMG. Too funny BFNE. A collector, looking forward to meeting him!! How's the farm coming??
    Pretty well. One large field is fenced. The roof is mostly on and you can tell it is a barn I think they are pouring the concrete for the floors etc in the next week or two. The barn should be done in December but will be a bit longer for the indoor. Biggest issue will be the fields.....there is a TON of alfalfa on the fields that are being fenced and away from the construction. I think I may need to spray and kill it before putting horses on it. But we didn't want to do that until spring...I need to cover to protect the land through winter. And the rest of the fencing will not be done until the spring (unless we have a super mild winter---not holding my breath on that one!!!).