The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter Boots for the barn

Any suggestions for good winter boots to wear while working in the barn? I like in upstate NY and it's really chilly already! I'm in the market for some new winter gear, as it will be my first winter with my horses at home. Anyone like the bogs boots, or go with something like the sorel or nothface boots? Thanks!

Snow sneakers from LLBean are great. Lace up or Velcro closures. Very warm, good traction in snow and nice enough to wear elsewhere.

I highly recommend the Muck Boots - I got the "brit colt" ones that have a heel you can ride in if you need to, and they come up nearly to your knees. Very warm, fully waterproof (I live in Oregon with LOTS of mud and cold rain), and they were comfortable from day one. I can tromp around in them for hours and be comfortable. I'm very happy I bought them - worth every penny.

I'm a fan of the Bog brand. They're just as warm and waterproof as the Muck boots, but I think the Bogs are much more comfortable, which is really important if you spend long hours in the barn.

Bog & Muck produce some very similar boots (Bog has a few riding versions as well), each company produces a characteristic footbed, so one may fit better than the other

The McKenna offers a narrower, more fitted footbed.

I'm about to wear my new Tuff Rider Tundras out to the barn. They are VERY comfortable. We'll see how they hold up over the winter. They are warm and it's easy to get your heel down. The price was right!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I have Bogs and they are super warm as long as I'm moving around (toes get cold if I'm just sitting/standing). Mine are definitely not ride-able in though, so that's something to take into consideration!

I purchased a pair of Muck Co. boots in March, and wish I'd have purchased them a decade earlier!

I bought a pair of Middleburg fleece lined boots from Dover a couple years ago that I love! They are cozy and stylish, yet waterproof. I can get them disgustingly mucky and muddy at the barn, then hose them off before I left, and they're back to normal! You can ride in them too, but they're a bit clunky for my taste. Overall, worth the $120 Dover is asking, IMO.

I love my Bogs Riders -- and when I wrote to ask how to repair the inside (the linings wore through and were rubbing my Achilles tendons), the Bogs people told me they'd replace the boots! I'm waiting for them to be delivered right now.

The original Muck Boot brand boots. I LOVE mine. I think I'm going on 6 years and they are still holding up. I wear them year around (live in MN) and while they are a bit warm in the summer, it's tolerable.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Upstate NY? Surprised you don't know about the NEOs fascination we all have up here, then! Mildly warm boots with NEOs will keep your feet incredibly toasty... but you can't ride in them!

I'd recommend these babies:
    http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Produc...RSHOE&pid=EXPG

As an Upstate NY'er, I second the recommendation for NEOs. I will even put them over my slippers for early morning chores or night check. They are outstanding.

Sorel, hands-down!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I've lived in Western NY and we get plenty of lake effect... had never heard of NEOs but I'm definitely going to check them out.

Otherwise I find you are better off going with a non-riding brand for real winter warmth and durability.... Sorel, Timberland, Merrell, etc. If you are careful about width you can find something you can ride in too. In fall/winter I resort to a pair of Ariat suede half chaps with a Timberland hiking boot.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    I'm a fan of the Bog brand. They're just as warm and waterproof as the Muck boots, but I think the Bogs are much more comfortable, which is really important if you spend long hours in the barn.
    I agree. I have Muckboots too, but find them much heavier to wear and they don't provide great traction. I have slid and fallen on the ice wearing them.

I'm in upstate NY too and the Bogs are warm in every temp! I do put on the ice trekkers even on these boots. The ice here can be horrendous.

Ariats made a pair of insulated paddock boots that I've used a lot in colder weather! I'm not sure how they'd hold up walking on ice, but they're great for keeping feet/toes warm!

Thanks for the input everyone! I have a few friends who love the neos, but am not totally into them. Something to consider tho!

I had a pair of those, Blupaint -- they were pretty good for keeping my feet warm, but the collar was puffy, so they didn't work well with my chaps, either full or half. Perhaps Ariat has cut down on the padding around the ankles in the newer model?

Wow - guess I don't get out enough - hadn't heard of NEOs either!

But will come in handy on a day like this - from Jan '11...
    (That's my picnic table in the background.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes