The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping 9hrs- box stall?

So finally my gelding is coming to KY to join me from PA!
    I found the most perfect barn for us. Its drool-worthy.

I have a 2 horse trailer. It would only be him coming out. I have a father w the capabilities to make my trailer into a safe box stall. (fully closed but with capabilities to get in from the emergency doors) We already have a plan thought out, thats not the problem, but I wanted to see other peoples experiences with shipping 9+ hours.

He is in fact a yearling... But has been trailered with no problems in the past. When I got him @ 5 months old, he was in a box stall from CA to PA and didn't seemed phased by it and since he did some horse showing this past summer, he was in a 6 horse head to head with no problems as well.

I personally feel like its a long way for a horse his age to stand stock still. We will obviously be trying to not stop unless we need to for gas, and to check on him.

Please- your thoughts would be helpful. thanks

I haven't done a whole lot of trailering over 6 or 7 hours, but distinctly remember unloading two horses who had each had a box in my 4 horse head to head shipping NC to VT. Drivers were tired, but not too tired to notice the horses looked completely ready to go run cross country...

Pretty sure I would feel happier having a yearling in a box rather than tied in a standing in my trailer, as long as he really couldn't open the escape door, or lean back on the ramp/door and cause problems.

Thanks for your thoughts! It would be totally done up so that he would essentially be in a stall. I personally think that is the way may end up going.

I purchased my 3 year old mare from Canada (I am in the states) and the haul ended up being over 16 hours with crossing the border, customs, fuel stops, traffic in Chicago, etc. We had a featherlite 2 horse straight load, and kept the breast bar in place but removed the middle partition. This resulted in a box stall that she could easily turn around in (it was the warmblood edition.. tall and wide). The breast bar still being in place kept her away from the two escape doors on each side, though the trailer had a safety so a horse inside couldn't push a door open.. still made me feel better though. It also gave us room to go in and check on her, without the danger of her trying to run through a small escape door.

The set-up worked beautifully, we drove straight through (With a 2 hour rest at the border for customs, and a few periods for her to rest in-between. No unloading or layovers though). She handled it extremely well, was resting a hind leg each time I checked on her, and she was not once warm or covered in sweat. She was completely comfortable.

The vet I used for her PPE actually said she suggests this type of hauling for long-distances, and in most instances horses prefer to ride diagonally and backwards.

Yearling + shipping 9 hrs = proper box stall.
    Even if you have to have the horse professionally shipped.
    That's just my opinion.

Thanks Sensuri!
    Thats exactly what we are planning on doing! I'm glad it worked well for your mare. I'm hoping my boy will respond the same way. I'm pretty sure he will but success stories and failures as well as asking is better then not knowing at all!

We wanted to make ours so that he couldn't get to where the doors were at all. He's in his mouthy baby right now and he gets into everything! Haha, we were going to put a divider in the bottom but a door that swings that keeps him out of the area from the door incase he lays down and then the same thing above the chest bars on both sides. That way I can get in and out to check on him.

It makes me feel better that he can move around if he wants to and it gives him a little bit more to do than get into trouble

Silly babies!