The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pentosan - sore neck/swelling after injections

I've started two horses on Pentosan. One is thin skinned TB so I was not surprised when his neck swelled up after the 1st shot. It also could have been operator error and I've been much more careful giving him his 2-3 shots. Still had swelling, but not as much. Swelling is gone or greatly reduced by the next day.

My other horse had no swellings, but has a very sore neck today after giving him his 3rd shot yesterday. Again, probably my fault as I was not paying too much attention to which side I injected. Also yesterday as I gave the shot, he shook his head and the needle bent.

Anyone have swellings and sore necks after giving? I've given Adequan too and didn't remember this happening. I've also given IM Acetyl-d and once two horses I gave it too had massive swollen necks after the shots. I called the vet and she confirmed the pH was off in that batch.

Is this the result of being a compound drug possibly?

Ive never had an issue with the injection/ needle itself. Is this just a muscle type thing, or does the horse have an infection/ fever?

If a horse is moving around when you inject you could be damaging some muscle with the needle. My mare tried to bend down and stretch as I was injecting. I had a little bump after that but nothing more. You should probably get someone to help hold the horse if this is the case.

No fever or anything just soreness. I give a lot of shots and usually they are very good, but yes always helps to have someone hold if there is another person around.

I was wondering more if it was specific to this drug. My thin skinned guy doesn't have issues with vaccines or other injectibles.

I always give mine in the haunches.

The only time I've had a minor swelling issue I was pretty sure it was my fault. It was probably the second shot of it he got and it was over a year ago. Since then, no issues.

I always do the neck, rub it well afterwards and apply fresh carrots to face...

My horse broke out in hives within 15 minutes of the Pentosan injection. Back to Adequan

No problems here, but I use the hamstring and not the neck.
    Click here before you buy.

My horse, also a thin skinned TB, has been on Pentosan for about a year and a half. I always give it in his neck, and he got a small lump one time. That time when I gave it, he tensed his neck when I gave the shot.

I think I'm going back to Adequan too. One of my horses neck is still sore 3 days later. No swelling but still stiff as in has trouble with his carrot stretches.

I'm kinda nervous about compounds now as two horses also had a bad episode with acetyl-D and my husband was just telling me about the human complications with using compounded drugs.

My horse has had reactions to Pentosan on two occasions.... very sore neck and some swelling. One of my vets said she had the same problem with her personal horse so I don't think it was my injection technique. I will no longer use Pentosan even though I got good results with it.

I have one that tends to be super sensitive to injections, and would frequently get swelling and stiffness in his neck after vaccinations. He has had no reaction to Pentosan injections, but has also had no reactions to vax since we switched from Ft. Dodge to Boehringer Ingelheim. I have often thought it was the carrying agent in the Ft. Dodge products that caused his problems - don't know if that same issue could cause a reaction in Pentosan injections. Could carrying agents be different from one compounding pharmacy to another? IOW, could the carrying agents be coming from different sources?

I give my QH Pentosan. I had some problems at first because I wasn't good at giving shots, but I got over it and became more comfortable/better at giving them. No more swelling. Maybe check with your vet to make sure you are giving the shot how you should?

I have a horse that can break out in hives because he's angry/stressed/whatever. He reacts to certain shampoos, fly sprays, the phases of the moon. He is a delicate little flower.

But I've never had a problem with Pentosan. Go figure.

Ive never had an issue with Pentosan. Ive been using it for over a year.

Where are you getting it from? I get mine right from Wedgewood Pharmacy.
    Most issues with injections are 1. user error or 2. unclean needle or syringe.
    I don't give injections in the haunches. You're more likely to get kicked and Ive herd that there is more chance for infection, but that could be totally false.

I got this directly from the vet and I'm not sure where they got it.

I would have suspected user error too after one or two shots but I've given 6 combined and still issues.

I think if you google pentosan and injection site complications some information will come up.

That and the issues in the news about compounding pharmacies were enough to make me really super cautious about using so I scrubbed the neck (though many will rightly say why bother if you dont shave etc.) and used single dose files, did not reuse the syringe and massaged the injection site afterwards.

So far two shots-no lumps...yet. Keeping fingers crossed for the next two.

Makes one wonder if some horses are more sensitive to something in the solution?

Mine just got his fourth loading dose shot and no problems here. He's a very thin-skinned chestnut.

When I give my shots, I scrub the area with my fingers for about a minute and then administer the job. They don't seem to feel it when I do it that way. I do the same thing with my dog- my vet friend said that the scratching overloads the nerve endings so that they don't feel the needle going in as much. Seems to work for me. My dad (a doctor) used to give me my allergy shots by rubbing with alcohol and then blowing on it as he plunged the needle in - I never felt the needle, just the sensation of evaporating alcohol. Pretty neat trick.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I talked to the vet this morning about this and he said he's not seen complications with this drug and I should not be put off from using it.

He told me to give it in the chest, which I did this morning. So far my puffy thin skinned one has not puffed up which he did almost immediately after given in the neck. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

BTW - the bottle says Wells Pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    He told me to give it in the chest, which I did this morning.
    You mean the pecs? I started a thread about using this as a site for injections. So far it's worked for me

FWIW, my vet warned me that if my horse showed significant swelling after the IM Pentosan injections, then he would have to be injected with it IV forevermore (she said because that meant an allergic reaction - though I will clarify with her the next visit because I'm not quite sure why he would have a reaction IM and not IV.)