The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Finally got a truck and ......

After begging for a truck for 2 years we finally took the plunge. A brand new 2012 Toyota Tundra. To say we are over the moon is an understatement

We purchased it with 109 miles on it (after all, they did have to locate it at another dealership and drive it to us).

My husband is adamant that we put 500 miles on it before we haul so I have been trying hard to find reasons to "drive around the block a few hundred times"!!

Well, the "new" truck must say HIT ME, Im brand new!

Now, my new truck (with 300 miles on it) will be in the shop for a month and then another 2 weeks of driving before I FINALLY hit that 500 mark. Not to mention my husband is having a panic attack that it will never be right again.

Not sure what options we have to have it replaced entirely but Im freaking angry. We had the d%#n thing for 7 days.

Sigh, life can be a nasty sucker sometimes.

Am I missing the part of the story in which you explain what happened? Were you driving? Was it parked? Was the other driver at fault? Frame damage?

I was driving,but it was her fault. She tried to cut through a parking lot ( I am assuming to take a short cut instead of just following the main outside loop). I was driving on the main loop and she came out of the parking lot, didnt look, didnt even slow down and T-Boned us right in the side. Her car is totaled. We are still waiting to here the end result damage of our car but, there is assumption that the frame is bent.

Since it was a parking lot the responding officer admitted that he would have fined her but couldnt since it was on private property. This has us a bit concerned when dealing with her Ins. because " no one was fined" well, we will see about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    I was driving,but it was her fault. She tried to cut through a parking lot ( I am assuming to take a short cut instead of just following the main outside loop). I was driving on the main loop and she came out of the parking lot, didnt look, didnt even slow down and T-Boned us right in the side. Her car is totaled. We are still waiting to here the end result damage of our car but, there is assumption that the frame is bent.

Since it was a parking lot the responding officer admitted that he would have fined her but couldnt since it was on private property. This has us a bit concerned when dealing with her Ins. because " no one was fined" well, we will see about that.
    I got reared ended a few weeks ago. I was at a complete stop behind a line of other vehicles, so couldn't move even if I needed to. Looked in rear view mirror in time to see a little sedan flying up behind me...tires squealing then boom.

Needless to say, no witnesses other than the other driver and me (everyone else took off as soon as the line started to move). It was obviously her fault and the cop agreed and the insurance company is paying to fix the truck (my mother's truck).

I'm sorry it happened. Did you happen to hear what her statement to the cop was about what happened?

Wow! I know how excited I was when I got my new truck back in 2004. Having someone crash into your new baby is horrible.

Hopefully, the other driver has good insurance and you will get another new truck out of it.

I am glad that you are alright. Good luck!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I feel you. Bought a brand new Toyota Tundra right off the lot in 2010. Drove it home on a Saturday. Got in it Monday to drive to work (which happens to be in another city), got about 65 miles into the drive, and I felt like the truck was just 'lagging'. Check engine light comes on. I call dealership, they tell me that its "probably just the gas cap". I commented that A)I hadnt put gas in it and B)It now wont go over 65mph. I limp it back 80 miles the opposite direction. They again treat me like I'm an idiot, and instead of giving me a loaner so I can be on my way to work, want to "take a look" first and make me wait. It should "only be a few minutes"... at this point Im furious bc I'm already late to work and I KNOW this isnt a 'few minutes' thing bc the engine was losing compression. An hour and a half later, they come back, looking a little guilty and offering a loaner. Turns out, it has a camshaft sensor problem (which after I researched found out that its somewhat common.. scary) and it NEEDS A NEW MOTOR. With less than 200 miles on it.

I threw a HUGE fit with insurance and the GM of the dealership. I didnt want a brand new car that was worth a ton less bc it had a major problem/history. I highly suggest you fight this, HARD. New cars already depreciate a ton as soon as you drive them off the lot, and this will just kill your trucks value, and you'll still be paying brand new truck monthly payments for it. I fought LIKE HELL and after 6 weeks, they got me a brand new one. To add insult to injury, they had me drive a YARIS for the 6 week interim. Ew

The new one has been fine for 80,000 miles in two years, outside of having a constant lane-changing pull to the right, despite 6 alignments (the first when it only had 7000 miles on it...), tire rotations, new tires, etc. But NO WAY was I going to pay brand new truck price for a truck thats engine VIN and frame VIN didnt match!

Good luck to you! TOTALLY been there.

First, I am really sorry and that is NOT what you wanted for your new truck.

But that's BS that since it was in a parking lot the police have no jurisdiction etc over the accident. It is a "way" -meaning a place legal, and expected, for people to be driving on. That security officer probably didn't want to be one-upped by the real police. But digression aside, I would be nailing her insurance company for a NEW truck. Frame damage on a tow vehicle is not ok. especially since you just bought the thing!

Oh! I am so sorry. Jingles for you and the truck. I got my truck, purchased it and it had frame damage but did not find out till my accident where some jack hit my truck going 80 on the highway and my bumper took out 1/8 of a mile of divider. The other guy was killed, which stinks.

It was repaired, which was a fight and a half with the insurence company due to the frame, but we proved the frame was bent before the accident. I still tow, not my horse trailer because of the big truck, drive everywhere, and its fine. That truck has saved my life three times. The most recent with the honda that drove onto my front hood.

I am sorry that it happened and hope you are ok.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Thankfully everyone was OK. I can't imagine how it felt FLeventer to have someone pass, even if it was their fault.

Her Ins. company has claimed fault so that is a good thing. We did jump the gun and tried to get the ball rolling so the initial conversation we had with her Ins. company was scary since they didnt have all the information.

We contacted our dealership as well (we would like them to do the repairs) and they have been fantastic and have promised to put a rush on it. They have promised that even if we need to bring it back 4x it will be fixed to 100%.

Im just concerned that IF or when we go to sell it we will have to disclose it was in an accident. I would think we could find something that would cover depreciation. I need to do some serious research.

It just makes me so angry. This truck thing has been a sore spot in our relationship for a long time. Me wanting and him not, we finally do it and this happens !

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    Thankfully everyone was OK. I can't imagine how it felt FLeventer to have someone pass, even if it was their fault.

Her Ins. company has claimed fault so that is a good thing. We did jump the gun and tried to get the ball rolling so the initial conversation we had with her Ins. company was scary since they didnt have all the information.

We contacted our dealership as well (we would like them to do the repairs) and they have been fantastic and have promised to put a rush on it. They have promised that even if we need to bring it back 4x it will be fixed to 100%.

Im just concerned that IF or when we go to sell it we will have to disclose it was in an accident. I would think we could find something that would cover depreciation. I need to do some serious research.

It just makes me so angry. This truck thing has been a sore spot in our relationship for a long time. Me wanting and him not, we finally do it and this happens !
    That's a good thing. I'm glad they are covering it, though you may want to try to fight and get a knew truck rather than just getting this one repaired. Especially if there is frame damage.

Just keep in mind if and when you re-sell the truck, there are company's like carfax that provide reports that show accidents, # or owners etc.

You could look at civil options for the depreciation of the truck. My insurance company has coverage for vehicles in their first year, that you get a check for depreciation if somehting like that occurs. I'd be the squeeky wheel for a while and see what happens if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    . . .you may want to try to fight and get a new truck rather than just getting this one repaired. Especially if there is frame damage.

Just keep in mind if and when you re-sell the truck, there are company's like carfax that provide reports that show accidents, # or owners etc.
    On what grounds could OP possibly "fight [to] get a new truck"? Her situation isn't the same as PP who drove her new truck off the lot with a camshaft sensor defect and resulting engine damage due partly to the advice given by dealership staff. OP bought the truck, was driving it around town, and someone crashed into her. Completely crap luck, and not her fault, but what can you do?

The only way I could see replacement with a new vehicle as possible is if her insurance company totals the truck, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Is she files a diminished value claim in addition to the repairs that need to be done (which if she's going through the dealership will probably be pricey), her insurance company may decide that the truck isn't worth it and just total the thing. Though that depends on the cost of the repairs being made and the payout of the diminished value claim (if her policy/state allows/has it).

I guess it's not really fighting...but typically if the costs for repairs and such for the vehicle exceed 75% of its value then the company will total it (but not always).

If she can get a diminished value claim (even if the company doesn't total the truck) it may make up for whatever future loss she will take when re-selling it because of structural damage. Then again the repair shop may just have to replace the whole frame...depending on the damage that was done.

I agree that at this point, OP should file a diminished value claim.

If it happened to my truck, all 11 years and 74k miles, I'd see if it could be repaired. If it was brand new? No way.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I gather the air bags didn't go off? If so, they would have to total the truck.

As a side bar, I have a 2011 Tundra and tow a Hawk 2 horse with a dressing room with it. I am very impressed with how well it pulls. The best feature, to me, is that when you press the brake pedal, it gears down. So nice on a hill not to have to keep using the brake...it tows like the trailer isn't even there. I do use sway bars (always have) and it makes the ride that much better...

Wishing you good luck with the repair... And remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil. So if you are dissatisfied for any reason with the work the dealer is doing, make sure you relay that to them and don't settle and don't back down

Oh I so feel your pain. Hubby just had an accident with his brand new Toyota 4Runner. Three months old. Insurance company actually totalled the vehicle because the frame was twisted. I was surprised as I really thought they would repair based on the price of the vehicle. Now we are thinking about a Tundra - our pickup we use to tow the horse trailer is getting somewhat not trustworthy.

And no our airbags did not go off.