The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brian Murphy clinic insights?

So Brian Murphy is doing a clinic nearby later this month. Aside from the fact that he's an Irish show jumper, I know nothing about him. Would appreciate any thoughts on him as a trainer/ coach/ clinician.

I have two horses I could bring, depending on organizer input: older, clever, experienced but just getting back into work mare; and/or 4 year old, very green mare, has trotted a few jumps. Smart but lazy.

Thanks in advance!

Sent you PM

I work with him regularly and really, really like him. I've learned so much about show jumping from him.

He can be demanding, but he really cares about his students and makes every effort to help them get the best possible performance from their horses. He's not afraid to tell you if you're bad, but he'll also let you know when you do a good job.

He has good exercises, a clear and defined training progression, and he gets results. I'd definitely recommend riding in a clinic with him or auditing.

I took several lessons from him last year at his farm and really liked him. He helped my confidence. I haven't been jumping much is why I haven't kept going, I'm more focused on dressage and only have the budget for one set of lessons at the moment.

I'll likely go back for more lessons when I have a bigger budget.

i watched him coach some riders at a show...seems to be for the serious minded rider and not for wimps. doesnt sugar coat it. expects riders to respond. i guess i myself would try it if i had the money and the ability and wasnt the wimp i am!!

Has this happend already? If not, are there details on date/time/location? Website?

The clinics are being held just outside Tallahassee, FL at a private farm, and next one is being lined up for the weekend of Dec. 15 (and may already be full, but if anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with the organizer). Hopefully several more to follow in Jan.-March.

They're being organized as private lessons, not group clinics. I took my older, clever, but slightly out of shape mare in November and got a lot out of it. He challenged both of us, but without overdoing it either mentally or for our level of fitness. I certainly came out of it more confident, and my mare seemed to also.

I've ridden about once in the past two weeks, what with work and family stuff, but I have two weeks to work on our homework before the 15th!