The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog Show Food

What do you eat at dog shows? Not liverwurst!

Zero food vendors or facilities at trial this weekend. My mother is coming for the first time. I am chaperoning a first-time competitor whose friend and husband may come. Another couple of friends competing. We’ll camp out together in a big field with snow fencing and portapotties; running water out of a hose.

Any ideas besides chicken or tuna salad sandwich/wrap and snacks? Despite the Fall temps (calling for 60s and clear on Sat), I can’t provide warm food. I know how to make good chicken/tuna salad, ok chicken curry, fiesta pinwheels, cold cuts. I’m sure I could make cold pasta salad.

My typical trial food is spinach & artichoke dip or cheese & crackers, fruit, cookies to share/w people, and popcorn to share/w pups. I’d like to provide more substantial food for the non-dog folks coming to support us.

Sometimes I get very nauseous immediately after running. I have only thrown up once. (Medication side effect is nausea in late morning.)

I was cruising through AllRecipes and had a lightbulb: steak burrito or breakfast wrap is different! Would have to be eaten cold which might not be appetizing.

What does your cooler contain?

Edited to say: HAHAHA! I thought you were asking what to SERVE at a dog show - as if you were the one putting on the show and providing the food. Too funny. So, I'm deleting my n/a post and saying that in my cooler there is

a bottle of Savignon Blanc

a small tupperware tub of fresh chicken salad made with grilled chicken, red grapes, pecans and a touch of curry.

some extra sharp cheddar cheese

fresh fruit.
    Last edited by Sonesta; Oct. 11, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Buffalo chicken dip and tortilla chips is super yummy and always a hit...substantial enough for a meal if you choose or just a super good snack.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Default You need a BIG cooler

I pack to feed an army, keep that in mind.

I pack 2 pasta salads, couscous salad, quinoi salad, fresh fruit and veg with assorted dips, homemade salsa and 2 or 3 types of chips, hummus (2 or 3 varieties), mixed nuts, fresh bread that I make the day before, creme cheese, a few hard cheeses, and some other odds and ends that I can't remember right now.

I hate sandwhiches that have sat! I don't eat coldcuts, and try to not have food that will spoil.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Rhyadawn, I'm coming to visit YOU at the next dog show. Yummy....

LOL!!

The people that I show with always laugh at how much stuff I pack considering I'm usually only showing 1 dog but considering most of what I pack is food and creature comforts I don't think it's that bad. I don't have to bring all my grooming stuff because my dog's breeder brings all her gear, I usually bring my scissors, comb, and a spray bottle. I need my show lead, and a change of clothes for the ring.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Depends on who is coming to the show with me. If it's just me ( and no visitors to watch) it's usually some fruit, a protien bar and a sandwich. I am usually too tired to eat anyway.

But if people were coming, I would step it up a bit, but gosh you guys go all gourmet!

But I like liverwurst....

Honestly, I often just wait until I get home to eat. I am lucky enough to live in an area that has many dog shows in a 1-2 hour radius of my home; and Cavaliers aren't that hard, really, to get prepped. I get nervous jitters enough that I don't eat until after I show as it is.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I should bring food, but I often show at a venue that has a full fast-food/short order type of counter, so we load up on our junk food there. My kids bankrupt me at the snack bar!

When I stay overnight with other dog show friends, I do pack a cooler but I usually end up bringing wine, cheese & crackers and other people bring the healthy food!

For one of my first overnight shows I went to a 3 day show and it never occurred to me to bring food. I must have been brain dead! I knew food would be available at the show venue, and that we'd probably go out to dinner, but what a pain in the neck not to have brought even chips to snack on! I'll never make that mistake again!

Oooh thanks for the reminder! I have a show in 2 weekends, and while the show is in my town and there's a Subway right across the street, I think nibble food (and drink) is much easier. I think there will be a concession of sorts, but it may just be bake-sale type stuff.