The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Default Kitty with tummy trouble

Our sweet two year-old Daisy kitty has been vomiting occasionally for the past week or so. Nothing too worrisome, just a small pile every other day-ish. She's eating, acting normal, doing her usual cat things. I've been just keeping an eye on her.

Last night she had three runny-poo splats on the carpet near her litterbox. The litterbox was clean, and it's not like her to have an accident - she hasn't had one since we got her over a year ago.

I'll be getting her some canned pumpkin today to see if I can't firm things up/keep things down. She's had no changes in diet - she eats Kirkland Chicken and Rice. We'd tried Wellness salmon and then chicken, and her poops have actually been the firmest on the Kirkland - she never has made very solid bowel movements. She's on Revolution and is indoor-only, so I don't think we've got a parasite problem.

If things don't improve in the next day or two she'll be seeing the vet - but is there anything other than pumpkin I should try in the meantime?

*ETA* - DH is now not sure whether the splats were vomit or poo. I'm at work so can't check, and I'm not cleaning the litterbox these days in any case, as I'm pregnant. So I may just have a pukey cat and not a runny cat.

How is she doing today? If she is keeping her food down, and otherwise normal bowel movements I wouldnt necessarily panic and run her in to your vets...but if it continues I would book an appointment, sometimes even if its "nothing", symptomatic treatment gets them over the hurdle. But, on the rare chance its something significant, I wouldnt delay getting her looked at if the vomiting continues.

I dont find pumpkin to do anything for vomiting, but it can help firm up stool. Hopefully she will get better on her own

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Well, she's not better. When I got home from work yesterday I checked the mystery vomit/poop and it was vomited undigested food. She turned up her nose at chicken baby food, but happily wolfed down some cat treats - and then brought them back up undigested. She's acting completely normal otherwise, playing and purring...

The vet's office opens in 10 minutes and I'll be on the phone with them then.