The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Filly with facial swelling....

While visiting in the UK recently, I fell in love with a filly who has... some kind of problem.

Her head/face is swollen. She is swollen (kind of bubbly looking) around her mouth, more on one side than the other. When you touch it, the texture is soft. She does not mind if you touch it, and does not appear to be scratching/rubbing it at this time.

She also has swelling under her jaw, larger than the area around her mouth, and the "bubbles", for lack of a better term, are larger in this area. Again, they are not sensitive, and she does not mind if they are touched. They are soft, not hard.

It does not seem to be on any other areas of her body.

She has been examined by a vet, who has no idea what the problem is. It has gone on since she was 2 weeks old -- I believe she is around 5 months right now. It has not gotten better with a steriod injection (I believe it was just one), or with antibiotics.

It is not an issue related to her teeth.

It looks to *me* (and obviously I'm not a vet), like it is some kind of allergy. She is happy, healthy and normal in every other way. (And incredibly beautiful! And VERY, VERY sweet. I completely fell head over heels for her.)

Any ideas would be very welcome. I'm hoping to purchase her, but this issue would need to be cleared up first.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Anyone?
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Can you post photos? You might get a better response.