The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Gelding who, ahem, "pleasures" himself...

I know its normal for geldings to drop and some will proceed to "pleasure" themselves by thumping it against their stomach. Fine, whatever, do your thing.

My gelding likes to drop when I'm grooming him and he's just hanging out relaxing.

Two weeks ago at a show, we were waiting for our showmanship class and were just standing there doing nothing. All of a sudden, he humps his back up (like they do when you spray their tail or butt with cold water) and I was standing in front of him, so didnt' see exactly what he was doing, but a friend said "OMG, he's w@ck!ng off!" I walked him off and he tucked it away.

Then, later in the day, we're standing waiting for our riding classes (I was on him waiting by the gate), and he did it again!

In both cases we were standing still for quite some time, so he had plenty of opportunity to get relaxed and feel comfortable.

HOWEVER, this past weekend we were IN a showmanship class, had just moved to the lineup, and I squared him up and then within minutes, he was doing it AGAIN!

Why would this be something new that he is starting to do? He hasn't done it until this summer.

I know its normal, however, he can't be doing that in my classes! What do I do?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Check him for a bean. I had a gelding that would carry on like a lewd uncle anytime he had a bean. Once the bean was out he was back to good Boy Scout behavior.

He pees normal amounts and its normal color.

If I look at the very end of his member, will I see a bean if there is one? I can't exactly Google this, I'm on a work computer!

My boy was doing something similar for a couple of months until one day while I was grooming I notice his reaction when I brushed right in front of his sheath, the horses "belly buttom" area.
    He GROANED so loud that I stopped and went back to pay more attention to the area. Curried gently, brushed and damped a wash cloth and rubbed.

Hasn't "dropped and thumped" since, he was just trying to scratch himself. I make sure I cover that spot now every time I groom.

I felt really bad I wasn't getting the message, it would be so much easier if they could talk!!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    He pees normal amounts and its normal color.

If I look at the very end of his member, will I see a bean if there is one? I can't exactly Google this, I'm on a work computer!
    No, you need to stick your finger in the tip and fish it out. Use lube (like Excalibur).

Better yet, have the vet come clean him for you and show you how the first time (strongly recommend if you haven't done it before).

I have some Excalibur at home.

My vet isn't exactly the most thorough when it comes to stuff like this. He doesn't like to clean the sheath unless I think there is a problem (i.e. he has trouble peeing, etc.) Even when its visibly gunky, he says that unless he is having trouble, I should leave it alone.

This spring when I had shots done, I asked the vet to clean him. He fished around in there, said he didn't need it, and that was that.

When I look at the very end of his member, it looks almost like, what is it, the urethra? is like inside out a little bit. I don't know how to explain it. Would posting pictures on here be against COTH rules?!

a lot of people teach their horses to "put it away" for the horsemanship/halter type classes, ask around for suggestions.

Are you feeding him any new supplements?? Maybe he's bored with the whole showing thing and needs new excitement? You really have to get in there to feel the bean and it could be dangerous, so be careful.

I'd say that maybe the showing stuff is too exciting for him if he's going to be getting this happy at them!

Nothing is new in his lifestyle or diet, everything has been the same for the past three years (I've owned him for his long, bought him as a 3 year old).

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    a lot of people teach their horses to "put it away" for the horsemanship/halter type classes, ask around for suggestions.
    Yes, smack it with the end of your leadrope and pick a voice command. That's the method we used in AQHA. But here I would be a little worried about a bean because the behavior is new.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I'd say that maybe the showing stuff is too exciting for him if he's going to be getting this happy at them!
    You might be right :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Yes, smack it with the end of your leadrope and pick a voice command. That's the method we used in AQHA. But here I would be a little worried about a bean because the behavior is new.
    You want her to smack his penis with a rope?! That is freaking insane. Join a convent if you can't handle the sight of a penis, don't abuse an animal because he doesn't share your prudish sensibilities.

LOL, okay, let's get back on the tracks...because I see this one derailing soon!

While I don't want to smack him, I do have to figure this out because it's one thing to have it hanging out in the show ring (not exactly disireable), but its a whole 'nother level to have him actively thumping it against his stomach AND tucking in his butt to get a good hump going!

Back him up a couple steps. He will put it away.

Do something really unsexy. And use a voice cue

An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

you don't have to actually smack him. You just need to teach him a cue to "put it away"; if he drops when relaxed and tends to suck it back up when you make him walk forward, or touch his flank or some other predictable scenario, that's all you need- just give your "put it away" cue right before he sucks it up and praise, and repeat. While you're at it, teach a cue for dropping it- handy for sheath cleaning.
    It might be normal and natural to let it hang out, but not while you're working in the ring in a showmanship class.

So - if you can ask him to drop and then to wack and then to put it away, all on command, shouldn't that be extra points in showmanship??
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Use KY or a generic version instead of Excaliber. It irritates some horses.

NEVER hit his penis! Usually a little jiggle of the lead rope and a quiet but disapproving tone of voice works wonders. After he's gotten the message, just the jiggle and occasionally a whisper should suffice.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

LOL, OP, my horse hangs out and, er, gets a little movement going pretty often. He once did the butt tucked under humping thing as I was putting his bridle on, and it was quite dramatic. I can see how it may not be the ideal in the show ring. I don't have any great ideas on how to stop it. My horse puts his away as we walk to the ring, and he keeps it away for the duration of our ride. Maybe clicker training?

As for wacking it with something to get him to put it away, I don't think that is a good idea. I know a former AQHA horse that is so afraid to drop that he actually pees all over his stomach instead of dropping to pee.

I always used to just smack their belly near their 'junk' and they'll put it away. And say "put it away". My gelding is also very fond of hanging his out afterthe lesson is over and thumping it. Quite embarassing but if i growl that at him he'll relucantly put it back where it belongs.

And mostly it's because after he's been ridden and put away he ALWAYS pees. But never when he thinks i can see him. He's apparently shy about peeing but proud of the other!