The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Valatar abandons performers and horses Del Mar CA

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what the heck happened in Del Mar? Heard that a bunch of performers and horses were abandoned and the owners ran? Any truth to that? If so wow! Thought it was gutsy to try that with Cavalia in town The same time!

http://www.cbs8.com/story/20160939/v...ar-fairgrounds

and;

Posted: 11/22/2012
    Last Updated: 2 days ago DEL MAR, Calif. - The producers of a touring horse and acrobatics show that opened at the Del Mar Fairgrounds canceled its remaining shows due to lackluster ticket sales, a fairgrounds spokeswoman said Thursday.

"Valitar," which features more than 25 entertainers and 50 horses of various breeds, opened Friday in red, 45,000-square-foot tent and was set to run through the end of the month under a 45,000-square-foot tent.

The show was created by Mark and Tatyana Remley, a native San Diegan who stars in the show.

Tickets were offered at 15 percent discount. Refunds for tickets bought through Ticketmaster, which ranged from $45 for kids weekday admission to $225 for a weekend or holiday VIP pass, are available by calling (800) 745-3000, Linda Zweig of the fairground said.

Those who bought tickets at the box office should call (858) 792-4252 for a refund.
    Copyright 2012 by City News Service. All rights reserved.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Several emails are being passed around asking for help in housing the performers (since their hotel rooms are no longer being paid for) and assisting with transportation costs for getting horses shipped home. At least two horses owned by event organizers have been offered back to their original owners, for a price.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

TullyMars is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Wonder if the two being offered back are the 2 Friesians that they acquired not to long ago. I really can't believe they did this! These poor people and their horses! Wow! Where did they go? Can't sneak that many horses away. Did anyone see the show?

Shit happens.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a funny feeling about this show from the time I saw it advertised on the cover of California Riding Magazine. Seemed waaaay to self-promoting and not about the horses, if you know what I mean. I know that my barn has offered stalls for the horses and is talking about organizing some sort of fund raising for the riders as well, I think all will be fine. Sad situation though....

So that is what that big red tent was for? Just curious, did the fairgrounds eat the cost of construction/purchase of the tent?

Hope the horses and performers land somewhere softly!

I was in San Diego recently and saw the ads... The ads didn't make me want to go (sorry, but an ad that's mostly a blonde woman with cleavage down to there doesn't attract me), and also Cavalia, which has much more of a track record, was in the area at the same time.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Posted on Facebook by someone I don't know...

"The performers of Valitar will be having a fundraising SHOW at the Del Mar fairgrounds on Dec 7-8 (Fri-Sat). The proceeds raised will go to help get the performers back to there destinations ( human and equine ) You can help by spreading the word and coming out to see the show. (the show will be held in the Equestrian arena) Thank you."
    -Amor vincit omnia-