The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

FWIW, I recall reading that Man o' War was such a fast eater that his trainer Louis Feustel told his grooms to put the bit in his mouth before feeding him.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

There used to be a device called a Pasture Pal, but unfortunately I don't think they make them anymore. It was made so a horse had to roll it to dispense pellets, a few at a time. A friend of mine had a horse who due to colic surgery could have no hay. She mounted this on a large piece of plywood so he wouldn't roll it all over his paddock, and it worked great. Maybe if you googled it and found a picture, the creative minds here could come up with something similar.

Another friend (apparently I have creative friends!) used a automatic dog food feeder to feed multiple times a day. She mounted it on a shelf and built a cabinet around it so horsie couldn't destroy it. It would then drop feed into the feed bowl mounted beneath the feeder. Worked well, just had to be filled frequently as it wouldn't hold a lot.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by PunkeyPony View Post
    Horse can't eat hay, and though he gets fed multiple times a day, he INHALES his food and then is very bored afterwards.

Any ideas how to get a horse to eat soaked hay cubes slowly? (Rocks in the bucket don't work, only slows him down by about 10 minutes).

Or has anyone found a way to feed chopped hay and make it hard for a horse to eat so it takes them a few hours to eat it? Would a hay net work or would it just fall back out? Could he grab it too easy?

I need suggestions on how to keep my hay-less horse occupied all day as some nasty habits have been forming. Cubes are what he eats now, though I am starting to think I may be able to feed him chopped hay providing he can't inhale it in an hour.

Really looking for a multi-hour solution for the super food-motivated horse. To make it tougher, it has to be something a boarding barn would be willing to do.

He does get ridden 6 days a week, and just starting now a few days of being ridden 2x, 30 mins to an hour per ride. Doesn't do anything to make him less bored as soon as I put him back in the turnout.

No grass turnouts - WISH I lived somewhere where that was an option so all my problems could be solved.

Please help COTH - I know you guys all must have some super ideas that I can try!
    fed him haylage - its shrinked wraped hay which is moist

you obviously have ahorse that allergic
    to the spoors found in hay and straw asin small particals so
    either buy hay or soak your hay for 20mins or hose it and then drained it before feeding - ie hang it up or swing it around until most of the water has gone

5H and DT - I keep thinking about the mare and her mash. No hay or cubes, right?

I don't know if you have seen or tried the Chaffhaye alfalfa that my horse gets.

Being that it is alfalfa there are leaves and stems. As opposed to grass hay that is all "stems".

Anyway, you are already going through a lot of trouble with making a mash.
    I wonder if you could try to CH-A and kind of crumble it in your hands and pick out the stems? And feed the rest to your mare? The "rest" is like the consistency of damp peat moss.

I have noticed that with my attempts to slow-feed the CH with my horse - using jugs - there is always some left in the jug that he cannot get out - ie some stems - and after some time spent in the jug (if that is a factor) the stems are real soft and even limp - like a wilted flower stem

I don't know if this info helps you in any way - could be tried - perhaps slow-fed - but at least the CH-A would not freeze like a mash would in winter.

There are pictures of the CH-A on their website:
    www.chaffhaye.com

The pictures show the CH to have more stems than I actually have observed in the bags.
    Lyme Disease - please excuse my comprehension difficultes