The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stomach relief while riding

My mare's stomach seems to get extra irritated while riding. My trainer recommended a daily supplement like smart gut (already did weeks of ulcer guard), but also something like Pro CMC right before I ride. Does anyone have experience with this? Could I use U-7 Gastric Aid in liquid form instead before I ride? Are they similar? Thanks!

Have you tried giving her a small flake of hay or a couple handfuls of grain right before you tack up? A lot of times that will help.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

After doing the 30 day treatment of GastroGard, my vet recommended that my horse get soaked alfalfa cubes before I rode her. She gets soaked alfalfa with dinner every night, but he wanted me to give her the hay cubes before riding so that the extra calcium in alfalfa neutralized any stomach acid that was produced. This really, really helped. Cubes need to be soaked for at least 15 minutes but if you have warm water, sometimes they can soak faster.

I usually give my horse 8-12 tums before every ride and it helps a lot. He thinks they are a treat

I tried giving him a little alfalfa before every ride but it cost more and did not seem to work quite as well.
    My blog:

RAWR

A lot of race horse people use Stomach Soother, and so does my dressage trainer - http://www.stomachsoother.com/ My horses love it.

I have used Gastrix which is the vet strength form of U7 and really liked it - I gave it am and pm on the feed but haven't tried it before riding.

If you have access to alfalfa hay, I would give her a flake to munch on before tacking up - cubes will also work but the hay is better.

Another vote for feeding alfalfa before riding. Horses continually produce stomach acid, and if their stomach is empty the acid will slosh around when they are worked.

Hay will help with this and the calcium in alfalfa will help buffer the acid.

I would avoid any grain before work as it can increase the acidity in the stomach.

I let my horse pick at a nibble net full of alfalfa while I groom/tack up.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Quote Originally Posted by myvanya View Post
    I usually give my horse 8-12 tums before every ride and it helps a lot. He thinks they are a treat

I tried giving him a little alfalfa before every ride but it cost more and did not seem to work quite as well.
    Yep, a handful of peppermint Tums (or generic version to keep the cost down). Most horses loooove them.

I have what I hope is not a silly question.

How do you know her stomach bothers her during riding and not just all the time? Is it because you are hearing lots of "noise" as you get ready? I know some horses that have lots of gut sounds while I tack up but I never had issues once under saddle that would make me think their tummy was bothering them to the point of being an issue.

TIA!

My horse is like yours. He used to "urp" many times during riding. He also had ulcers.

To eliminate any stomach discomfort during a ride:
    1/4 scoop alfalfa pellets directly before bridling.
    10 Tum's ultra before putting on the bridle but after the alfalfa pellets.

Makes a huge difference on this.

As you probably know trotting for even a limited amount of time can make the acid in the stomach splash on the non mucous membrane portion of the stomach. Buffering the acid right before riding can relieve a lot of discomfort.

Actually, now a lot of our horses at our barn get tums right before going in the show ring. Remember, the effect will only last roughly 30 min. Feel free to Pm me if you have any ?s.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Yep, a handful of peppermint Tums (or generic version to keep the cost down). Most horses loooove them.
    My horse loves very berry flavored

I soak about 2 cups (dry amt) alfalfa pellets for my mare before I ride her - it expands to about double. She's picky and it's cheaper than tums too. She loves getting her snack before we ride.

Thanks, everyone. Bought some tums and going to try it. She definitely has tummy issues while not being ridden, but it is easier to control since she can snack on hay. I am also starting her on a supplement to hopefully help as it seems that she needs more daily mainteance than the ulcer guard. I just don't want her associating getting ridden with her tummy being uncomfortable (sucked up, gurgling etc).

Have you had her scoped to find out if she still has ulcers? I'd start there- it really isn't all that expensive in the scheme of things, and will give you a concrete place to start with ongoing treatment. If she's still that uncomfortable, the ulcergard may not have been strong enough (or continued long enough) to treat any ulcers.

There is a compounding pharmacy that makes generic omeprazole (the active ingredient in Gastrogard and ulcergard)... do a search for "pop rocks" and you should get more info.

Good luck!