The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Robert Rivera, purchasing horse from

I've never bought a horse from out of state before. Can anyone give me some guidance?

I'm looking at purchasing a racing quarter horse from Robert Rivera in New Mexico. Anyone heard of him?

Am I crazy to purchase the horse after seeing only pictures (as opposed to video or in person)?

How do I get a ppe done when I don't know a vet or the owner of the horse? Can I get a ppe without being there?

Any recommendations on vets in Santa Fe?

Any recommendations on shippers in the New Mexico/Colorado area?

Thanks!

I've not met Robert--our Executive Director took those listings, and he left for NM that next week--but I will ask Jamie to pop in here and weigh in about him and his horses.

I have personally purchased a few horses long distance, sight unseen, and been very happy with what steps off the trailer. Vetting thoroughly is important!

I have done it too, but only when I had a friend who knew the horse in question (she was his exercise rider). You know that horse, so you make the call on whether it was a good decision or not.

Simkie, do you have any connections down there that could recommend a vet? Or even go get a video? That is a lot to ask, but maybe?
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
    --Thoreau

SouthernSon, we don't We just got CANTER Colorado really rolling at Arapahoe this year, and are listing horses that have moved to other tracks as a courtesy to the trainers that were at Arapahoe and are now elsewhere. We would LOVE to service the NM tracks as well, and it is in our long term goals, but we just haven't gotten there yet (if anyone is in NM and would like to volunteer for CANTER, let me know!!)

I took the listing from Robert Rivera and found him very easy to work with. I only met him the one time since he was heading back to New Mexico so our interaction was brief.

He even showed me all the papers on his 2 Quarter Horses that he wanted to list with us. Are you interested in Zacks On The Run? At the time I saw him, I didn't notice any issues with soundness but that was back in July. He had a solid build and was very nice looking. He had a very calm and gentle demeanor from the ground. He didn't seem skittish or high strung.

As stated previously by Simkie, it's great that you are planning on vetting him.

I've ponied for Robert before, will send you a PM
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT