The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Hates Pergolide

I have a 29 year old Arab that was diagnosed with extremely high ACTH levels this summer and prescribed Pergolide. What a job it is getting him to eat it. I have mixed it with beet pulp, molasses feed, etc. I had to move him to a separate corral so he would have all the time in the world to eat it because when he was penned with someone else he would eat their food or just leave his.
    Now that we are going into winter weather - its just not feasible for him to have his own corral (only so many water heaters I can run). On top if that he is now refusing to eat beet pulp because he thinks his meds are in there. He doesn't like to be orally medicated and I really can't cant see catching him every day and shoving a syringe in his mouth.
    Any ideas?????
    Mary-Anne

We own a very picky eater who would not eat compounded pergolide. He will eat Prascend tablets if I hollow out the end of a carrot piece, put the pill in the hollowed area, and cover the whole with shredded carrot. I hand feed him the medicated carrot followed by an unmedicated carrot.

Put a couple of carrots or apples (preferably alternating) in your food processor and shred it (shred, not purée). By alternating the goody they don't suspect anything, and because its shreded it's easier to get the meds in there.

I've used it with several horses and its hasn't failed me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    We own a very picky eater who would not eat compounded pergolide. He will eat Prascend tablets if I hollow out the end of a carrot piece, put the pill in the hollowed area, and cover the whole with shredded carrot. I hand feed him the medicated carrot followed by an unmedicated carrot.
    Swap to Prascend. I feed the tiny pink pill to my mare in a pinch of hay pellets. She never knows it's there, and I know she's gotten all her meds.

You can switch him to the herbal alternative, chaste tree berry.
    Most horses love the herbs and have no problem eating it.
    www.equinealternativehealthsupply.com
    Natural Horse Health Care, including Holistic Equine Health Products, Supplements & Alternative Therapies.

I had a horse who hated Pergolide. None of the tricks worked with him more than once or twice. I finally got the alfalfa flavor Gourmeds and added the tablet with a scoop of alfalfa pellets to his grain. That worked for him. I got the Gourmeds from Wedgewood. My vet prescribed 2 gm tablets which I broke in half so a 30 day supply lasted 60 days.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I gave my horse his first Perg capsule this evening. The apple flavored from Thriving Pets. I gave it to him like we give him his Previcox. By hand.
    With some black oil sunflower seeds. Easily "down the hatch" and I know he got it/swallowed it. I hope he continues to accept his Perg this way - pray it works - and no side effects.

Whatever - he will be getting his Prev and Perg by hand. Might have to give it to him in something different and interesting to him day to day - perhaps a handful of Equine Sr - then a different pellet the next day.

And it helps if they are "hungry" when handfeeding it. Then give regular feed as usual - meds first.

Thank you! I will check into all these things. A pill definitely does sound easier!
    Mary-Anne

I have ponies. They have problems at times. We ALWAYS give their meds mixed with some water in a syringe. These meds are way to expensive to wonder if they ate them in their feed, with other stuff in your hand (they are very tricky and can spit them out when you turn your back)........

Make your life easier and your budget more affordable..........put it in a syringe!! That is so easy
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

My horse is a very picky eater too and stopped eating his grain when I was feeding him Pergolide. I switch him to prascend and he eats it in his food no problem. We just wet the pill and put it in his feed.

I agree with Sandy. Syringe it down his throat. I have one who knows if medicine is hidden in any kind of treat or food and will refuse to eat it. The syringe is the only way that I can get medicine in him and be sure that he got it.