The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me pick a color

I've decided to get a custom bridle and breastplate for my new mare from Taylored Tack. I know what style I want (for the most part, I am still tempted by some of the prettier halter bridle combos.)

What I really need help with is the color. Pixel is a bay roan, her face is a nice burgandy color and her body is almost lavander. I'm thinking purple with black padding? Or maybe a nice pale blue with brown padding? My saddle is a dark enough brown to work with either black or brown. I just can't decide.

Pixel (Forgive the crummy clip job. I was using a little pair of handheld clippers to introduce her to the sound and vibration. She was so well behaved I just started clipping and kept at it until the batteries died.)

Her cute face

Pale blue sounds pretty but probably will be a nightmare to keep clean. I vote purple.

She's such a pretty color herself that I would go with all black as her tack. I think that adding a lot of color would detract from her. Although, a few splashes here and there wouldn't be bad- then my vote would be royal blue.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I go for the obnoxious for endurance (we hunt also and can look very prim and proper when necessary). My nearly black bay Arab is in royal blue. I like either of your color schemes for her.

Amanda Taylor's red colored tack looks amazing and the color would look smashing on your horse! I vote red with black padding.

I have the Pawnee Halter Bridle in Purple from Taylored Tack and I LOVE it. My horse is a Palomino and it looks terrific on him. Very functional which I love. I do have the trim on the reins and brow, cheek and nose band. It is gorgeous on him.
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

I have a mare that looks like yours. She wears a silver and black combo. I had it made for a gray I owned previously and she inherited it. It looks great. Her pasture halter is purple, that looks cute too.

Remember, their color changes from summer to winter. Mine darkens in the winter.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.