The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shelter dimensions in a pipe corral

DH and I are looking at bringing my guy home sometime in December. We can easily fit a 24x24 corral, which he is in now, on our property to be his "main" living space.

Most of the pipe corrals in this area, SoCal, have 8x10 roofs and no sides. Ideally I would like to have a two sided shelter (mainly so he doesn't eat the wood privacy fence) with room for hay/grain and possibly tack.

In my mind and on a notepad I have a picture of an 18' L x 12' D shelter with a 12x12 matted area for feeding/shelter from elements, the short side being open to the corral fence, and the front opening to the actual corral, with a 6x12 space on the other end for hay/tack.

What do you think? Sound too big, too small, too awkward? I'm VERY open to ideas/suggestions!!

I'm trying to picture mare motels that I've seen. One was maybe 12 x24 with the front half covered, no sides, another had a three sided shelter at the end of the 12x24 run.

I'm trying to figure out your plan in my mind - 24x24, with a roof and sidewalls over/around an 18x12 section and a 6x12 section at the end corner under the roof blocked off? The remainder under the roof matted for feeding etc..

Sounds fine to me although you might want three walls around the tack/feed area. I don't know if there is any weather or which way it comes from.
    We have two 16x16 pens in the lee of the house and trees for use during weather to try to keep the pasture from turning into a mudhole but are still putting up a run in. Stock 12x12 Klene-pipe three stall unit with the pens in front for 12x28 and one for feed/hay/small stock. I've talked about it before but it's taking forever, it seems to have a curse that causes some member of our close family to get ill and need serious care as soon as we get ready to work on it. I think I just need to bite the bullet and hire it put up.

Anyway, it's just a little bit smaller and with access to pasture/turn out your horses should be fine.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post

Anyway, it's just a little bit smaller and with access to pasture/turn out your horses should be fine.

Out west, a 12x24 run with a roof at one end IS turnout for many horses. There is often not a happy medium between that and a full section behind barbed wire. I'm still trying to figure out how my neighbor's roping horses don't tie up and die with that living arrangement
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Out west, a 12x24 run with a roof at one end IS turnout for many horses. There is often not a happy medium between that and a full section behind barbed wire. I'm still trying to figure out how my neighbor's roping horses don't tie up and die with that living arrangement
    Used to be horses lived in stalls all day long, every day, and going out and working was their "turnout". They can't get a good run and buck in in 24 feet but they can move about a bit, plus I am sure they get roped off of often enough to keep limber.

I hope so anyway. I always feel guilty about keeping them cooped up in the small pens when it's raining, but a mucky paddock isn't so good for a good run and buck either.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible