The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dr Pol on Probation

Just read this article here

The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs ruled that Pol’s failure to accurately read the ultrasound, perform a C-section and to maintain any records on Mocha was evidence of negligence, or failure to exercise due care, including negligent delegation to or supervision of employees. It also found that Pol’s conduct failed to conform to minimal standards of acceptable and prevailing practice for the health profession.
    I am not surprised. Dr Pol reminds me a lot of old school vets I've known, but his attitude at times had me quite concerned.

Good grief! I don't get that channel so haven't seen it. Thankfully!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I've seen the show once with my daughter (who was an equine vet tech). To say she was horrified is stating it mildly. Good, he deserves to have probation.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Probation? I'm surprised he didn't have his license revoked. Guess that'll have to wait until the next patient he mistreats dies.

Oddly enough I just caught a portion of the show yesterday. I loved that he no-charged a couple of people but my mouth was hanging open at the lack of sterile conditions in surgery. I get that he's old school, and I appreciate his no-nonsense approach, but no way would my animals go there.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Just wanted to bump this old thread up and add that Dr Pol was renewed for another season at NatGeo.

I am surprised by this and expressed my discomfort with this to NatGeo.

ETA--I know there are plenty of folks out there that like Dr Pol and his cheap approach, but I think every animal deserves at least minimal access to anesthetic and anesthesia. When 3/4 vets in one practice have been on probation, perhaps there is an inherent issue in the psyche there?
    Last edited by starrunner; Jan. 3, 2013 at 06:30 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ugh.

Which show is this on NatGeo?

P.

It's called "The Incredible Dr Pol" and it's on tonight on National Geographic Wild channel. And Cesar Millan is starting his new show tonight "Leader of the Pack" where he selects from several families or individual people to adopt a animal shelter dog. It's not the regular Nat Geo channel.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White