The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gymnastic Setup Question

I have a basic trot in with 9ft placing rail to an in and out- one stride...I'd like to put a rail down after the landing side to encourage my youngster to land, down and out and continue forward ....how many feet(or steps rather should pole be) ?!?

How long did you set the one stride? 18' or 24' or somewhere in between? What's the out fence (oxer, vertical, or crossrail)? And what are you trying to accomplish.....getting the horse to land and continue forward, getting him to round over the last fence, or something else? You say land, down and out, and continue forward, but which part of that is the important part to you?

I would set it differently depending on the answers to each of those questions. As a general rule of thumb I typically set landing rails from verticals and narrow oxers out of a moderately set one stride (20-22') around 10' with the assumption that I'm not placing a landing pole "just because." I might lengthen out to 11' if it's a wider oxer or a 24' one stride, and I'd go to 12' if I wanted to encourage the horse to continue forward momentum past the jump and pole.

But that doesn't take into account the stride of the horse. On my short-strided mare I would subtract 1' from each of those (except the 9' which is as short as I go for any of my horses). On my huge-strided baby I might add 1' (except for the 12' where I usually limit on the long side unless I have an odd particular reason for going longer).

Sorry, I guess my answer is a very big "it depends"

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    I have a basic trot in with 9ft placing rail to an in and out- one stride...I'd like to put a rail down after the landing side to encourage my youngster to land, down and out and continue forward ....how many feet(or steps rather should pole be) ?!?

Generally...landing pole is set 9' on the landing side for a trotting fence. Possibly rolled out a little to avoid the horse landing spread over it. (a common exercise is to trot back and forth over a verticle or skinny oxer with 9' ground rails on either side). If it is in the grid though, I'd keep it at 9'. So a standard trotting in one stride should be set at 18' (inside measure of the two fences)...and your landing rail would go smack in the middle.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Maybe I need lessons on reading for comprehension

I assumed you meant a landing pole after the one stride, hence all of the questions.

If I set a landing pole inside of a one stride it's set in the middle regardless of what that distance in the one stride is. I can think of reasons to set a trot-in one stride at 18', 20', or 22', and in all cases the landing pole would go in the middle.

Second 10'.