The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yesterdays Races

I really thought there were some great races yesterday. So many graded races, so many exciting finishes. Does anybody here have a favorite one from yesterday?

Too hard to decide! If you are going to make me choose though, I pick the Frizette. I love seeing fillies fight for the win.

That would be my pick as well....but I thought Wise Dans effort after getting bumped at the start and going five wide on the turf was also very commendable.

Agreed. I also think Groupie Doll went well, too. I'm excited to see how the rest of the BC fields shape up.

The DRF has the best single-page summary with all the replays of the weekend's action. If you missed it then here is your single source

http://www.drf.com/news/trip-notes-c...nship-and-more

Not as wow as the other races, but I liked Eldaafer in the Hawthorne Gold Cup. Finishing a game 3rd for a horse that is not, not, not a front running pace setter but was oddly made to be in this race. This is a horse that won the BC Marathon for goodness sakes! Not to mention that he even raced (and won big) at the Atlantic City Race last course which is amazing too. Racing for peanuts to going back to run in a big graded race and dispose of the even money favorite that's not bad for a 7-yr old

Worth pointing out and to her credit Rosie Napravnik had one of the best weekends ever in her career. She rode a Belmont Saturday and then flew to Lexington for Keeneland Sunday.

She won two Grade 1 races at Belmont plus a claiming race, then took 2nd in an allowance and finished 5th in a claiming in the last race. Sunday she won an allowance at Keeneland, had 2 4th place finished, and largely due to bumping and heavy traffic finished 10th in two furiously run graded stakes.

Here is another notable race that is worth a look - albeit one post-weekend. It seemingly went by under the radar after everyone feasted on the big meal of the weekend with tracing

Video: Grade 3-t Pilgrim Stakes, Monday 10-8-12, Belmont

Ramon couldn't have been any more patient while sitting on a rocket. The margin of victory isn't that great as he was geared down towards the finish, but did you see how wide he was taken?! Another Chad Brown trainee looking fine.

Noble Tune (now 2 2-0-0 after his maiden win at Saratoga) punched his ticket to the $1 million Juvenile Turf with a visually impressive 2 1/2-length score in Monday’s Grade 3, $150,000 Pilgrim Stakes, a Win and You're In race.