The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stray kitty - what can I give her now?

Hi, all! I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for in the results. If any of you can or know and can help, please point me in the right direction.

Yesterday morning, after getting home from feeding the horses, I found a sad, skinny kitty at my back door....because what I need is another cat. Anyway, she's very friendly, needs lots of groceries, but looked healthy enough considering it was 30 degrees and raining all night Friday night. A call to my vet got us in to see her yesterday morning.

She's now home, after having been treated for fleas, ear mites, worms, and tapeworm. Vet estimates her at 6 months old, and definitely way too skinny. Ultrasound showed 2 fluid filled sacks near her bladder, vet thinks very, very early pregnany and we need to spay within 2 weeks.

Fast forward to this morning...she now has slightly goupy eyes and is sneezing. Probably a virus of sorts. Is there something OTC I could get and give her now? I have easy access to PetsMart, PetCo, and SuperPetz here.

Also, she is completely separated from my 3 cats and dog, and we are diligently washing hands after having been in with her....but it's highly possible that won't be enough to protect our current residents. Ideally I'd like something, supplement or whatever, that could boost their immune systems too.

So, wise COTHers, any help, advice, etc on what I could get them started on today?
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Do you have any Clavamox or other antibiotics that are appropriate for cats/kittens? I usually try to look through what I have on hand that would be a good all purpose, broad spectrum. Have you taken a temp? Is there an emergency vet clinic you could ask or take her to be examined? Or could you call your regular vet for some advice or meds? It sounds like an upper respiratory issue which Clavamox would be appropriate for, but you have to dose by weight. She certainly would need some care/meds --- good luck and let us know!~
    PennyG

Lysine may help...do a google search about it and feline respiratory infections. You should be able to get it at Petsmart or someplace similar.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

OP I think you're correct that it is viral. Unless she is not eating or having yellow/green nasal discharge I wouldnt start antibiotics yet. Defiantly try the lysine supplement, for all your cats. It essentially 'competes' for the cell receptors that te virus needs, helping to stop replication and therefore shorten the length of the illness. One of the most common viruses in cats is feline herpes, you can find more information by searching at veterinarypartner.com for herpes or upper respiratory infections. Sorry, on my phone and cannot link easilly.

Good for you on taking in one in need.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Besides Viralis (not sure of spelling...it's the lysine supplement I use), you might also try from Forta-flora which is a probotic and also boosts immune
    system. Think you can get the Forta-flora at Petsmart, etc. Not sure about
    the other.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Thanks everyone.

Duh, I completely forgot I had Lysine gel, so she and the other residents are on it now. No Clavamox, but I do have amoxicillin she could have....however I won't give it until talking to my vet tomorrow morning.

She is sneezing and her eyes are a little watery, but no color to the drainage. No goupy or runny nose and her lungs yesterday were clear. She isn't coughing or wheezing, and she's definitely REALLY into her food. I do think it's a virus at this point, and atbs wouldn't help that right now.

She's super cute, and very very friendly. Now we just need a name.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Yes - PLEASE don't start medicating your cat without consulting your vet.

I know COTHers mean well, but just willy-nilly starting an animal on an antibiotic - even a commonly used one - "because it worked for you" really isn't the way to go. This is one way antibiotic resistance begins.

Only thing I am going to suggest is get her on tinned food, preferably kitten food. She is still a baby.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles