The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sheet fit dilemma

I have a Shires turnout sheet that I love with on exception...

The front has two buckle closures, which is great, does not have velcro, which I have found rarely does any good anyways, however, in this case I need something else. Every time my horse wears it the left front flap turns under. (His left shoulder is smaller than his right I found when saddle fitting). This means that his chest is exposed the the weather and he gets wet when it rains.

I suppose this means that this particular sheet doesn't fit him well, but its what I have, its a super nice sheet, and I want to make it work.

So, my question is what can I do to make the flap NOT turn under? Will velcro hold up or just get full of stuff so it doesn't work? Is there a way to safely add another snap underneath? Has anyone had to fix this problem before?

thanks in advance..

It seems to me that one side always turns down, velcro or not. This is why I like the high-neck (Wug style) turnout sheets - they keep the horse's front end much drier.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I have a strong preference for closed front sheets/blankets. Its very little effort to train them to accept a blanket being slid over their heads.

I tend to sew most of my blankets shut in the front so I don't have this problem.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    I have a strong preference for closed front sheets/blankets. Its very little effort to train them to accept a blanket being slid over their heads.

I tend to sew most of my blankets shut in the front so I don't have this problem.
    He has a couple sheets I have had sewed shut. I may do that to this one also, but was looking for other thoughts before I go that route.