The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Morven Park results - what happened?

2 of 14 finished the Advanced, and 4 of 9 finished the Advanced Championsips. Lots of W's and a handful of RFs (faybe is DH ok?).

KOC, PD, and MLM (Intermediate) also had falls. Anyone there to shed some light? Was it weather or time of day sunlight issues?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

My guess is weather/footing has something to do with it. Its been extremely wet in this area the last two weeks...and morven tends to get water-logged in a few places.

I thought maybe a few of the Advanced entries that WD after dressage or SJ were intentionally looking for a CT to prep for FHI, but there is an advanced CT division. So that makes me think the footing must be pretty nasty on XC.

The # of falls is a bit odd, even for bad footing...

EN is reporting that Karen had a rotational fall on Veronica...

Link

Other than that, I haven't heard anything.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

ACM, thanks for asking- boys are both fine, just a little shaken. They had an awesome go of it the first half of the course (the Leaf Pit kept me up all last night! But it rode super) but some of the issues they've been having caught up with them the second half. The grey beast has always been very looky- likes to stick his head over for a peak and then go sort of thing- and it's really catching up to them at this level. They had a rough go of the coffin and no real time to recover before the trakhener-to-trakhener line, and they both took a little tumble at the second. Thankfully all are fine, but there's definitely work to be done and they'll probably be stepping down a notch for a while to sort things out and get confidence back.

Alliemare, the footing was actually fine, just enough water to get it soft but not deep at all, and no real mud to speak of. Don't know why so many W's, but there were originally 16 people in DH's Advanced division (for some reason Jan Byyny disappeared? She and DH were tied for 8th after dressage but now Evententries doesn't even show her name in the division?) and only 2 actually completed! It was a true Advanced, no question about it, and the problems were pretty spread out over the course. Michael Pollard's grey horse didn't look much like he wanted to play today, and the girl on course right after DH took a tumble after the ditch and brush near the end of the course (I can't remember who it was but it sounded like they were having a good round until then). Just a weird day overall.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Congratulations to Kelsey Hoiness and Benz (by Nevada) < have to plug my boy> for their WIN in the Young Riders Preliminary. 1st in Dressage, and held on to the win!

The weather sure looked like it was going to be terrible, but actually not too bad of a day.

ACMEeventing is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    ACM, thanks for asking- boys are both fine, just a little shaken. They had an awesome go of it the first half of the course (the Leaf Pit kept me up all last night! But it rode super) but some of the issues they've been having caught up with them the second half. The grey beast has always been very looky- likes to stick his head over for a peak and then go sort of thing- and it's really catching up to them at this level. They had a rough go of the coffin and no real time to recover before the trakhener-to-trakhener line, and they both took a little tumble at the second. Thankfully all are fine, but there's definitely work to be done and they'll probably be stepping down a notch for a while to sort things out and get confidence back.

Ouch. Glad to hear they're okay. Thanks for the update, you know how us COTHers worry

FVC - Congrats! That's awesome!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Glad everybody will be OK.
    On a related note to people disappearing from the online scoring, what happened to using MR to show a horse fall. Event entries seems tO be using RF only.

Oh, sorry about Loki! Will look for them to regroup and come back better than ever! Hope all is well, jingles to both -- one of my favorite grey horses...
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

As faybe said, the footing was actually very good...surprisingly good! It helped that in anticipation, they spread blue stone over the grass about 15 ft. before and after most of the fences to help absorb some moisture in case it got sloppy, but it didn't really get very sloppy at all. They put on an excellent show! (as always) But I do hope they move stadium back into the ring in the future. This is the first time I've seen them have stadium on the grass. That field could have gotten very ugly by the end of Sunday if we had gotten the rain they predicted. They did the same on stadium though and spread blue stone before and after the fences, and through some of the turns to help. I hope other events that run stadium on grass start doing that more often!
    Last edited by Sonoma City; Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM.