The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default People actually want to buy my pony...Help!

I have had my large pony on the market for a month now. She has been with me for 7 years and was leased some, but we want her to have a great home. I have been in contact with a family from out of state the past week, and they are coming to try her next weekend to see how it goes. Last night, another family called me (know of me through connections), and they have "decided" they want the pony on trial (I am all for her going on trial to make sure it is the right match). They have heard of the pony and have never seen her. This would also have me trailering her to them 2.5 hours away to see the pony site unseen. I am pretty sure I need to let the other family from out of state have first dibs on her, and since they have planned a visit, I do not want to ruin that for them. I am telling them they need to drive down and ride her before I am taking her to them of course. What would you do? I have never had the problem of too many people interested!

I would tell the second people that you have someone coming on X day to try her. Tell the second people that they need to come try her at your place before or after the first people, but that the first people will have first right of refusal before you give the pony to second people.