The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Private Lesson in New England/Vermont?

A long shot, but here it goes...My husband and I are thinking of taking the children to New England or Vermont for Thanksgiving, Wednesday through Monday. Denny gave me some useful information for Vermont (which I'll look into), but does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to ride (as well as a nice area to visit for Thanksgiving weekend?) Looking for a trainer or barn who would be willing to give me private lessons while we're in the area. Have ridden in the past up to Training level, but back in the saddle with an older/out-of-work horse and riding Novice at the moment. Thanks for any suggestions.
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Hey there, BWBHW, and glad you're thinking about New England for the holiday. I don't know how much help I can be beyond warning you that the traffic on Wednesday will be dreadful. I'd suggest the following: figure out what other things you're interested in (History? Museums? Sports? Shopping?) find a town or two that matches your family's interests and then go to the Area 1 website to see who is teaching in the area. I'm guessing Denny suggested Woodstock VT and the greater GMHA area (a lovely choice always, as long as we don't get early snow!). Then there is Salem MA which is within reach of Myopia and Ledyard among other places (be advised that the Thanksgiving Hunt is a big deal around here). And there's always Boston and south of the city. Cape Cod is pretty bleak that time of year, IMHO, but I'm not local to that area.

Keep us posted on what you decide! And happy planning.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

If you want to stay in southern New England/Berkshires, you could try Town Hill Farm in Lakeville, CT. I don't know if they can accomodate you, but they might! (they have a website)

The area is beautiful and you can also explore Great Barrington/Stockbridge, MA. There are lots of nice inns, great restuarants and easy day trips for exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    A long shot, but here it goes...My husband and I are thinking of taking the children to New England or Vermont for Thanksgiving, Wednesday through Monday. Denny gave me some useful information for Vermont (which I'll look into), but does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to ride (as well as a nice area to visit for Thanksgiving weekend?) Looking for a trainer or barn who would be willing to give me private lessons while we're in the area. Have ridden in the past up to Training level, but back in the saddle with an older/out-of-work horse and riding Novice at the moment. Thanks for any suggestions.
    If you are in The Worcester Ma. area you can call Tammy Barton at Integrity Stables 508 829 5265. She has a large lesson business with great school horses.

thanks, everyone, for the GREAT suggestions! Will let you know if the trip materializes...
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Barnwork - I sent you a PM.

Southmowing Stables in Guilford, VT.

Keep in mind that around Thanksgiving you run a very real risk of snow in most parts of Vermont, which might make driving around more difficult if you aren't used to it.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com