The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone tried TSC's new pelleted bedding (no more Equine Fresh)?

I just went to Tractor Supply yesterday to pick up more Equine Fresh. They have a new pelleted bedding that looks different from Equine Fresh -- the pieces aren't uniform and vary from those little rolls to scraps. The cashier told me they came in two weeks ago and that they are the replacement for Equine Fresh.

I was about to start another horse's stall with pellets and was wondering if anyone had used this new bedding from TSC, and whether I should go with this new product or switch brands.

If anyone else has tried this new bedding, I'd love to hear your experiences and how it compares to Equine Fresh. I bought one bag which I'll add to the existing pelleted stall today. I'll report back but it may be difficult to tell the difference with just one bag.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Mine hasn't had Equine Fresh for a while. What does the new bag look like? Mare and foal picture on the front? If so, I've gone through almost a pallet of it so far and have been very pleased, bought it when it was on sale for the 4th or something..

Default My store changed to TLC once this is what I found ~

My store changed to TLC once for a short period of time as Equine Fresh was so expensive ~

TLC took longer to 'fluff' up ~ I always put two bags of pellets in a huge Rubbermaid wheelbarrow and then empty morning water buckets into the wheelbarrow ``` by the time I needed to bed a stall it was ready but

TLC was not as absorbent sp ? it took longer to 'fluff' up and it did not make up a 'pretty' stall = looked dirty.

The good thing was it was workable and cheaper ! and and

when everyone complained and the store decided to stop with TLC it went on sale ``` clearance price of $3.00 a bag !!!!

Just work with it ~ it's managable but I always regardless of the type/brand of pellet `` always prep = 'add water and 'fluff' in a wheelbarrow or muck bucket ~

Hope this helps ~ GOOD LUCK !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I haven't noticed a significant difference, HOWEVER, I am only currently using pellets in my "horse porch" and not in stalls. So I'm not soaking them, just chucking them out there to mix in with the dirt/sand/shavings/sawdust mix that makes up the very "low tech" surface out there.
    Click here before you buy.

Haven't used the Equine Fresh, but I can vouch for the TS brand pellets. Agree, they're marginally slower to absorb water during their pre-use soak, but seem to work about the same as previous pelleted bedding we've used. Only difference is, it's slightly darker when expanded.

Honestly, I prefer it's slightly 'chippy' quality as opposed to the pulverized texture of the other stuff we used to use.

Thanks for the feedback. The new (to me) package just says Equine Pelleted Bedding -- no mare and foal.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry

Okay, just used the trial bag I bought. It seems to fluff up more...otherwise the same. Thanks again, everyone, for posting in response to my question.

I noticed mine puffed up FASTER than the Equine Fresh. I can't say I notice a difference in the absorbency, or smell, or anything else, but I did notice it fluffed quicker, which is good for me.
    Last edited by spacytracy; Oct. 7, 2012 at 05:47 PM.