The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    [edit]
    [edit]?

FP has posted that it took her 11 yrs to finish college. She had it all on the Alex Brown Forum and now it's gone within the last few months. Do the math. Ross Univ.. started in 2008 according to her info that was on Alex Brown website. So how long with student loans, and what were they used for? Another reason to always check out your doctor and your vet. My horses'
    doctor graduated from Michigan State, to keep this horse related.

ETA since FP lived in the guy's house for at least a month, I'm sure she might remember his name and that of his mother, both of whom were trying to help out a destitute person. Too bad they didn't know about the student loans.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Oct. 8, 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    So your like what the COTH hallway monitor ... oh no's better be good Mike's watching
    Is that a sentence? "your", "no's"??

Here, let me help.

"So you're like the COTH hallway monitor. Oh no! Better be good. Mike's watching!"

Ahh, now that's the way you do it.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Second, private student loans are BIG business. They are EXTREMELY easy to get, and come with almost no stipulations regarding how you can spend them. They are underwritten by the banks that issue them, the same way any private loan would be underwritten. They're typically viewed as a poor way to finance your education, but when there's no other option, it's how A LOT of people pay. I imagine this is how FP is buying a truck and trailer and financing a European vacation with student loans (I have a lot of friends and close family members in grad school right now, and none of them would be able to use their federal loans to do any of this). Private student loans are HUGELY unregulated. Yes, it's getting better, but it's a SHOCKINGLY unregulated business, and it's not difficult to secure money in the way FP describes, particularly for an education that results in a Dr. of Medicine degree from a foreign institution.

If FP has private student loans (which is extremely likely considering she went to school in the Caribbean and her school does not accept US federal student loans as confirmed on this thread by a student at the same school), she is not committing fraud or doing anything illegal. She is simply using borrowed money to do what she feels like doing. Meaning the only person she's hurting is herself. So let's not be dramatic and start posting the phone number to the FBI.
    This.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, you could weigh a month's lease on an apartment and groceries vs. a month's expenses for lodging/food whilst backpacking around Europe, and it would probably be comparable as far as "living expenses" go...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Is that a sentence? "your", "no's"??

Here, let me help.

"So you're like the COTH hallway monitor. Oh no! Better be good. Mike's watching!"

Ahh, now that's the way you do it.
    See proof you ARE the COTH hall monitor. Mod 1 better watch out Mike's gunning for the job!
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Not nasty at all. I just know that the abuse of student aid funds is making it tougher for those who truly need the aid so they can get an education to receive that aid.

http://thecollegiatelive.com/feature...financial-aid/

http://www.richlandchronicle.com/new...2#.UHMmaJh6u5I

If the OP got financial aid and scrimped & saved and now that she's graduated has money left over and chooses to spend it, fine. Don't know how you'd get aid if you supposedly already graduated from vet school, anyway. But I've been through the process for years with a family member in vet school. I know what the applications ask; the loans are to get you through. So if you have plenty of money to pay your bills but you want that horse trailer, that truck, and that extended European vacation so you give information that paints you as someone in financial need, you're taking money away from those who need it. Do I care what Maggie does? No. Would I ever remotely even consider hiring her as my veterinarian? Never.

Harry S Truman said, "I don't give them Hell. I just tell the truth about them and they think it's Hell."

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Not nasty at all. I just know that the abuse of student aid funds is making it tougher for those who truly need the aid so they can get an education to receive that aid.

If the OP got financial aid and scrimped & saved and now that she's graduated has money left over and chooses to spend it, fine. Don't know how you'd get aid if you supposedly already graduated from vet school, anyway. But I've been through the process for years with a family member in vet school. I know what the applications ask; the loans are to get you through. So if you have plenty of money to pay your bills but you want that horse trailer, that truck, and that extended European vacation so you give information that paints you as someone in financial need, you're taking money away from those who need it. Do I care what Maggie does? No. Would I ever remotely even consider hiring her as my veterinarian? Never.

Harry S Truman said, "I don't give them Hell. I just tell the truth about them and they think it's Hell."
    Great post. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post

I know what the applications ask; the loans are to get you through. So if you have plenty of money to pay your bills but you want that horse trailer, that truck, and that extended European vacation so you give information that paints you as someone in financial need, you're taking money away from those who need it.
    Here's the difference: FP's school is a FOR-PROFIT, private institution located in the Caribbean. Please remember that FOR-PROFIT schools are VERY DIFFERENT than state schools. For profit schools in foreign countries are likely even more different that for-profit schools in the US. The application likely doesn't ask how you will pay, it asks "will you be able to pay? Prove it.". Further, because St. Kitts is a foreign country, you likely need to be able to prove you will have enough money to fund your living expenses for a period of time without working (St. Kitts requires a visa for stays beyond 90 days). Meaning you're not taking out loans just to cover tuition, but to cover rent plus living expenses, plus insurance, plus incidentals, plus an emergency fund. When I lived abroad as a student, this was required in order to get a visa. Germany required what they considered 3 months of "cost of living" in my bank account before my visa was approved.

Read about Ross University's medical school and vet school.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Thanks for the clarification, FrenchFry.

Student loans vary depending who you lend from.... My SO was looking for loans and one we looked at said that he was pretty much free to use whatever money that does not cover tuition to do whatever he wanted with....including buying transportation, plane or bus tickets, gas, computers, food, and could send money home to me to spend on our son. There were pretty much no limits....just had to keep track of what you spent it on.

We ended up going with one that only covered tuition.... I wasn't too fond of the idea of racking up debt....that's how those companies make money..... Let you rack up debt, interest starts, then you pay back. I know how awful SO is with managing money so I'm glad he doesn't have the funds to splurge on whatever. But if he had gone with the first one he could have easily said he took a trip to Europe to see how cars were different over there....and as long as hr had a receipt for something that was related it was all fine.... Even as little as a car rental receipt would have been fine I would think. There are loopholes and some are intentional to get the company to make more money.

there is so much speculation in this thread its sad :/ let fp do what they want to do with her loan money.... its none of our business....
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

This thread has veered far off the path of righteousness into ridiculousness with a few sprinklings of vulgarity. Since it was questionable to begin with, it is at its end.

Mod 3