The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I hate day turnout

Actually I don't have a problem at all with day turnout, it's the nights they spend in the stalls I hate. I hate that they are in the stalls so much longer, pooping and peeing and making a mess. As soon as I clean the stalls, they have all pooped again. So I pick them. Move on to waterers. Then they have pooped again. Move onto sweeping. Then they have pooped again. I end up cleaning the stalls at least 3 times before calling it a night. I know I don't have to, but I HATE going in knowing it's just that much more to clean in the morning. Woe is me. I hate night turn IN!

I know, I can not believe my guy was once boarded that only cleaned in the morning and none when the barn was closed on Monday's. Sure the stalls look pretty on the weekend, because Fridays were for making them ready for the client showing up during the weekends

LOL, I prefer nights IN. I kick them out in the morning, clean the stalls and latch the doors. In the evenings all I have to do is open the stall doors, toss in their hay close the doors behind them and
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I hate day turnout too. When they're on night turnout I don't bring them in until 10 or so. For the most part there are two poop piles in each stall and they prefer to pee outside. Two flakes of hay and and bucket of water and they're set.

Come on spring!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

FYI ~ Equisan Marketing Pty Ltd, in Melbourne, Australia, and now distributed worldwide. Website is www.equisan.com.au , email is EquisanMarketing@bigpond.com.au.

Although this product has been in Australia for many years, I have not yet started using it, so I have no idea of the cost. I was most impressed, when I sent a stallion to be broken in by Tristan Tucker, 4 years ago, that he uses them in all his stables.

Good Luck

HAP

Yep...just this week I've started morphing into the Winter Schedule.

Now my guys aren't out all night usually in the summer...my paddock and barn is between my house and the road. I'm just not comfy leaving them out. But in summer they come in at 8-9 pm and are out around 5:30-6.
    And in summer the feed schedule is 3x daily. Stalls cleaned when they go out in the morning...only need to be done once daily.

In winter with the shorter days we move to 4 feedings per day and they come in by 4 pm winter. (right now in at 6 pm until the clocks change) So they come in to grain and a small flake. Then I traipse back down at 8-9 pm and pick stalls, hang overnight hay nets and hang the soaked cubes.
    They go back out around 7am....and I have a filthy pig-horse. Some mornings I walk in his stall and feel like crying. Or trading that horse for a goldfish. Or bellybutton lint.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sorry, forgot to explain that Equisan makes horse nappies.

HAP

The worst part for me about day turnout was BLANKETS. Ugh...heavier blankets after the night feeding, then maybe shedding a blanket or two sometimes for day turnout...which are of course getting gross. Such a chore!

Well, gosh, horse nappies, that would solve all my problems! Instead of cleaning stalls I can change diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    and I have a filthy pig-horse. Some mornings I walk in his stall and feel like crying. Or trading that horse for a goldfish. Or bellybutton lint.
    Thank you for saying this. I am glad to know I am not the only one who has this feeling some mornings...lots of mornings actually.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    As soon as I clean the stalls, they have all pooped again. So I pick them. Move on to waterers. Then they have pooped again. Move onto sweeping. Then they have pooped again.
    To quote an old time horse trainer of my acquaintance:

"Even while you're sleepin', they're poopin'."

Thank you for saying this. I am glad to know I am not the only one who has this feeling some mornings...lots of mornings actually.
    Trub...this morning I couldn't even do it.
    I walked in, fed breakfast, took one look at his stall, glared hard at him, tied out hay nets and came back up to the house.

I'll do stalls at lunchtime...when I've had time to remind myself that he's a sweet, lovely horse despite the fact that it looks like there was a major monkey-shit-fight every night in his stall. And by then maybe I won't want to bonk him on the head with the muck bucket. Or caulk his ass.

My mornings usually sound like this:

Gooood morning boys!!! How did my guys sleep? Ready for breakfast!
    Sonny, here's your....oooohhh...what the....how the hell did you get crap up there?...wtf?....seriously?....
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I swear they invite friends over for parties while we are sleeping. That is the only way I can imagine a stall can get that messy.
    I have not figured out the logistics of the whole other horses getting in and out of their stall yet but it just has to be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Actually I don't have a problem at all with day turnout, it's the nights they spend in the stalls I hate. I hate that they are in the stalls so much longer, pooping and peeing and making a mess. As soon as I clean the stalls, they have all pooped again. So I pick them. Move on to waterers. Then they have pooped again. Move onto sweeping. Then they have pooped again. I end up cleaning the stalls at least 3 times before calling it a night. I know I don't have to, but I HATE going in knowing it's just that much more to clean in the morning. Woe is me. I hate night turn IN!
    That's why mine are still going out at night. I wait until the last minute, like when the time changes.
    They do have a large shelter and I did put rain sheets on last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Well, gosh, horse nappies, that would solve all my problems! Instead of cleaning stalls I can change diapers.
    this made me guffaw
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Just a heads up, since we received a few alerts, that we don't think the poster who commented re: the horse diapers is a spammer or affiliated with the company.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    when I've had time to remind myself that he's a sweet, lovely horse despite the fact that it looks like there was a major monkey-shit-fight every night in his stall....
    Love it!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

This reminds me why I'm glad mine are out 24/7!
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Sooo... why don't you bring them in for supper and work and then kick their messy selves back outside for the night?

FWIW - mine are in all day during the summer due to insects (yes, I hate the messy stalls). In the winter they are out about 20 hours a day. They eat breakfast outside, but are brought in for supper, special supplements and work. And out they go again. I do blanket, however, the ones in work... Because it does get cold here and I'm not talking just getting down to freezing....

The reason: stall cleaning and savings on the shavings bill (its actually quite substantial!)

The barn workers where I board were just talking about this. We're a bit short on turnout; there is room for more paddocks but the BO isn't planning to put any up. Barn workers would definitely like it if the horses were out more because it's less work for them when the horses poop outside. (Yes, they do pick poop in the paddocks, because the areas are small... but it's not a 100% required every single day job like stall cleaning is.)

Mine is out for 6 hours per day, which suits her. She's quite neat in her stall and typically poops along one edge. Barn workers say they can tell if there's been a coyote or something else bothersome around at night, because my horse's stall will be a mess. Otherwise, it's neat.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine