The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Let's see if we can get the word out there :o)!

So a lot of you know of us and our support of the Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. We donate a foal every year for the foal raffle and do everything we can to help and support and pay it forward with the charity. This year, we donated Moulin Rouge d'Avalon (Mannhattan x Faberge/Frohwind) - one of our best crosses and a full sister to our best broodmare, Morticia. Morticia, as an aside, is the dam to Edward Scissorhands d'Avalon, the stallion we currently have in the 70 Day Stallion test, but that's a topic for another discussion!

Our goal this year is to earn $10,000 with the foal raffle. We've got a long way to go, but we're hoping that everyone that views the website, will purchase just one ticket and we will reach that goal in no time at all.

But, I digress...In an effort to get the word out there, Avalon Equine will take everyone's name who "Likes" and then "Shares" the Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program's Facebook announcement on their (Leg-Up's) Facebook Wall, and enter those names into a drawing for five free tickets for the main raffle. Just to be clear - you "Like" and then "Share", and we will then randomly draw a name out of the list, and that person will get 5 free tickets. You don't need to do anything other than "Like" and "Share", because we can track those of you who share the announcement. We will hold the drawing on September 30, 2012 and will announce the winner in our next Newsletter, on our Facebook page, as well as on the Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program's Facebook page!

Links to Leg-Up's Facebook page is:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leg-U...5826312?ref=hl

And their website is: http://www.leg-up.org

Make SURE you share the announcement on their Wall on your wall! Make sure you "like" the page so that we can enter your name. And of course, we wouldn't be offended if you bought a raffle ticket (or five...or ten ) too. Win/win situation! Thank you and good luck everyone!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Done! Third time I think LOL
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Done! Third time I think LOL
    Thank you!

We are working with some dedicated volunteers to do some fundraising and generate some awareness for Eddo Hoekstra's plight right now. So, please everyone stay tuned for more information on the Leg-Up website on how you can help him and his family! And again...thank you everyone for your gracious assistance and donations.

Is Eddo the recipient this year?

In past years it has always been clear from the beginning who the beneficiary was, but I other than the above post I haven't found any information on where the donation will go this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    Is Eddo the recipient this year?

In past years it has always been clear from the beginning who the beneficiary was, but I other than the above post I haven't found any information on where the donation will go this year.
    In the past, the organization has not been a non-profit charity, per se - we worked with the Oklahoma Dressage Society originally, as it IS a non-profit and were able to do a raffle. The things I've learned about non-profits, running raffles, what can and cannot legally be done, etc., has been a ROUGH learning curve :roll:. We were able to make the choice/decision where the funds were going specifically when we first started because of the way things were originally structured.

We received our 501(c)(3) IRS approval this year and now that the organization is a non-profit with board members, things move a bit slower than in the past and all decisions must be approved by the board - think herding cats here <LOL> We receive, as one can imagine, LOTS of requests for assistance (boy is that the understatement of the year) and those requests must be reviewed, as well as verified to be valid and then presented to the board of directors for a decision- and yeah...it's also amazing how many of those requests are bogus .

With that said, Eddo will be one of the recipients of some of the funding we receive this year. We are in the process of setting up a page on the website specifically for Eddo, as well, for individuals that wish to donate directly to him and be able to receive the charitable donation tax write off, separate from the foal raffle.

Leg-Up is truly the epitome of a small charitable organization that is run entirely by volunteers and other than some small administrative expenses (bank charges, etc.) ALL of the donated funds we receive go to recipients. But, the flip side of that is that no one is able to dedicate ALL of their time to promoting it and pushing it and managing it, full time :P. I probably spend way more time pushing it than I should <lol> and thankfully, the others on the board are also dedicated to making it a priority in their lives as well. As part of that effort, we "donated" our advertising funds for Avalon Equine and took a leap with our advertising campaign this spring, as many of you may recall . We (Avalon Equine) also donated the free tickets being used for the drawing that is currently being run in an attempt to make this thing go viral and draw attention to it. We figured it was a good way to hopefully distribute the promotional efforts among our many friends and fans <smile>...and hopefully all of those that helped or saw the posts on the Facebook wall, will buy a ticket...or two...or ten, as well .

It is really, really tough deciding who and what causes to help. We don't donate to rescues, but are working with some of the vet universities and drug companies to hopefully work towards funding a few low cost gelding clinics throughout the country in the hopes of trying to reduce some of the unwanted horses being produced in this country. But again, that requires a huge amount of time coordinating and contacting the different parties involved. One of the individuals on the board is working on that. It does however, by working with everyone and coordinating things, allow for MORE to be done with LESS funds.

We strive to make the BEST use of the funds we have available and get the most bang out of the funds. Having 7 different opinions helps keep us grounded but it also makes us realize just how diverse opinions are as to where funds "should" go. And those board members are from a variety of disciplines, as well <LOL>.

Not sure I answered your question, beyond the fact that yes, Eddo is one of the recipients this year . And huge KUDOS to Rebecca Pennington for making a truly heroic effort for raising funds for him. I truly am humbled at how kind and giving people are. And it is those individuals that really make organizing and managing Leg-Up a priority for us.

Hope that helps!

Is there any other way to purchase tickets other than Google? I tried to buy 5 tickets for $20, but Google would not let my payment go through.

They said that I already had a password. Since none of my passwords worked, I asked for them to send it to my email. They never sent one, so I tried to register again. It still would not go through. Do you have a Paypal account? I really would like to donate to your cause.

Keep up the good work!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Nevermind. Google finally came through with the link. Donation completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Nevermind. Google finally came through with the link. Donation completed.
    WOOT! Thanks, Auburn for being so generous!

Kathy, thanks for that answer. It helps having the bigger pictures.

I cannot tell you how grateful we (myself as well as Eddo Hoekstra) are to LEAP for agreeing to help us raise funds for Eddo so that he can get an all-terrain motorized wheelchair to get around on his farm and to be able to begin teaching his riding students again.

We at Sonesta Farms have planned a huge weekend of fund raising Oct 27 & 28 (see details on COTH's Events forum or go to www.sonestafarms.com/eddo.htm) but we needed to find a way that others who wanted to help could donate funds directly and be able to have a tax right off for them.

LEAP so graciously agreed to help with this and then told us that Eddo would be getting a portion of the Foal Raffle proceeds as well. Are they wonderful or what?!

I hope everyone on COTH will visit LEAP's website at www.leg-up.org and donate to the causes of equestrians in need. Because......

There, but for the grace of God, go you or me.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

"There, but for the Grace of God, go you or me."

Well, said, Sonesta!

I hope that more riders will continue to help riders who are in need.

Kathy,
    Your generosity knows no bounds. Not only are you donating your lovely girl, but you helped my friend from Alabama who was having difficulty breeding her mare. Even though her mare ultimately could not be bred, I know that your advice was greatly appreciated.

My friend is having a young WB mare vetted today. Since she could not breed her girl, she decided to buy one. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the mare vets out!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post

LEAP so graciously agreed to help with this and then told us that Eddo would be getting a portion of the Foal Raffle proceeds as well. Are they wonderful or what?!

I hope everyone on COTH will visit LEAP's website at www.leg-up.org and donate to the causes of equestrians in need. Because......

There, but for the grace of God, go you or me.
    Hey, I am TOTALLY humbled by how awesome you are for trying to spearhead this whole thing. I sometimes think I live in a vacuum. I knew of Eddo, but other than name recognition, didn't know about him. I am truly STUNNED at how young he is. In writing up the bio for the website (still working on fleshing that out a bit, but wanted to get the info up ASAP so people could start donating), it was heart wrenching. So, it's also gratifying to know that there are so many people that are generous both financially and in spirit. People truly are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    "There, but for the Grace of God, go you or me."

Well, said, Sonesta!

I hope that more riders will continue to help riders who are in need.
    Me too!!! ! And I have NO shame in harassing everyone <lol>.

Kathy,
    Your generosity knows no bounds. Not only are you donating your lovely girl, but you helped my friend from Alabama who was having difficulty breeding her mare. Even though her mare ultimately could not be bred, I know that your advice was greatly appreciated.

My friend is having a young WB mare vetted today. Since she could not breed her girl, she decided to buy one. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the mare vets out!
    You know what though? I have a job that I absolutely LOVE! The horse industry has been kind to us. We've made some phenomenal friends along the way. We won't ever get rich doing this - at least not financially. But I have to say, I am truly happier now than I have ever been at any other point in my life. And that is because I am exposed every day to people like Rebecca who do things totally selflessly for others. Yup. Yup. I love what we do. And I definitely don't mind begging people to cough up a few bucks 'cause I know it's going to go to people like Eddo.

So...3 more days until the drawing for the 5 free tickets. But even more importantly, just a reminder to BUY a few tickets <smile>. Go to http://www.leg-up.org Truly...$5.00 will buy one ticket, but it's also a step towards our goal, and hopefully, we can far exceed that goal and help get Eddo mobile enough that he can get back to teaching !
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Sep. 27, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

And that is because I am exposed every day to people like Rebecca who do things totally selfishly for others.
    Kathy, Did you perhaps mean selflessly?
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Kathy, Did you perhaps mean selflessly?
    LOL! Probably not.......
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

OMG...I'm SOOOoooo sorry Rebecca. Yes...it should be SELFLESSLY. Going to fix that now <hanging head>. Gah! Someone really should take my pain meds away right now <rolling eyes>. Unfortunately, no one has the guts to try it <LOL>.

Congratulations to Rebecca Haskins Roman! She is the winner of the five raffle tickets donated by Avalon Equine for the Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Programs raffle foal!

Soooo....now let's hope everyone out there that reads this buys at least one raffle ticket. We're hoping to make at least $10,000 this year with the foal raffle and we're REALLY hoping that we can generate enough income to help buy that mobility wheelchair for Eddo. So this is me prevailing upon all of you out there to help us make this possible. Simply go to the website and buy a ticket...or 5...or 100 ! http://www.leg-up.org

Thanks again to everyone for their help and support!

Passing the word with my horse friends. Just bought 5 tickets myself, but clearly I do not need another horse at this stage....

But a singleton Bo foal here at my place, owned by a lovely gal/trainer, NEEDS a pasture buddy to grow up with. Now wouldn't that be cool?

Great work, Kathy.

When is the drawing for the foal held? I don't see it on the Raffle Ticket page.

I have my five tickets!

Raffle Terms and Conditions:

3. The Raffle shall end on December 15th, 2012. Drawing will take place on December 31st, 2012. Ticket sales will begin August 15, 2012 and run through December 15th, 2012. This shall refer to the promotional period.

It will be a lovely beginning to the new year for someone.