The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I agree, it's disappointing that nobody from The Chronicle has responded in any way after more than a week.
    We did get the one response from Mod3 like a week ago....but yes. I agree that it is frustrating we haven't heard anything else yet.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Sorry, I meant to post this -- I heard back from one of the CotH advertising people, and she said ...

On Saturday, October 13, 2012, Susan Lee wrote:
    Hi Leah,
    Thanks for your email. I'm sorry so many people are having issues with the ads in the forums. I have forwarded your email to our moderator to see what the problem is.
    Best Regards,
    Susan Lee
    Advertising Director
    The Chronicle of the Horse

I just sent this message in reply

So, this is STILL going on. Can you direct me to the person that is responsible for placing these ads on the CotH forum, please?

he moderator's initial response when this started was that there was nothing the moderators could do. i think this is an issue for the webmaster and whoever handles putting the ads onto your website. It's definitely a new type of ad that randomly pops up at the bottom of the screen, is very difficult to close, is incompatible w/ mobile phones, and it causes iPads (and perhaps other tablets to crash). It is definitely a better looking I'm not trying to be obnoxious about it; but when an ad is freezing browsers and crashing iPads; I'd call that MALWARE. And, I know that is not Dodge Ram, John Deere, Etc.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I don't know what these companies do or don't pay to advertise here; but I would guess they definitely pay for each "Click Through", and I know I have definitely clicked through not only on the PITA Malware ad in trying to close it; but also accidentally clicked on the side ads trying to close the bottom ad.

I am also very curious as to how much bandwidth these PITA ads use. I live in the 7th ring of hell where I cannot get DSL or Cable broadband, so I use Verizon MiFi, which is NOT unlimited -- meaning I pay for my data usage. Since this ad started up, not only is my iPad crashing; but the damn MiFi modem keeps its connection dropped and everything is much slower.

If anybody knows of a good ad blocker for iPad, please PM me.

That ad is just a bad, bad thing all the way around; and I am pretty baffled by the CotH non-handling of it.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post

If anybody knows of a good ad blocker for iPad, please PM me.
    No, post it here as I want to know too!

I've been looking, but haven't found a quick and easy solution. Well, one...reading COTH on my PC (with AdBlock installed) rather than my iPad, but that's no fun!

Here is the bottom line for me (and I hope this gets passed along to ALL of COTH's advertisers:

I will not do business with any company who uses ads that try to hijack or monopolize my computer or otherwise engage in underhanded methods (like these obnoxious pop up ads).

And that means that NONE of COTH's advertisers will get a chance to entice me to click on their ads because I will now use an Ad Blocker to kill the obnoxious ads - and that also kills the more legit ads on the side bar.

And I will not view COTH on any mobile device since their is no AdBlocker for mobil devices yet (that I know of).

So, COTH advertisers, THESE JERKS are losing you business and by COTH accepting such ads, COTH is losing you business.

And COTH, you are pissing off your customers which will cost you customers too.

Just stop it now!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Here is the bottom line for me (and I hope this gets passed along to ALL of COTH's advertisers:

I will not do business with any company who uses ads that try to hijack or monopolize my computer or otherwise engage in underhanded methods (like these obnoxious pop up ads).

And that means that NONE of COTH's advertisers will get a chance to entice me to click on their ads because I will now use an Ad Blocker to kill the obnoxious ads - and that also kills the more legit ads on the side bar.

And I will not view COTH on any mobile device since their is no AdBlocker for mobil devices yet (that I know of).

So, COTH advertisers, THESE JERKS are losing you business and by COTH accepting such ads, COTH is losing you business.

Just stop it now!

THIS!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Just stop it now!

Ditto. But not just one's usual "ditto". I won't be buying or even perusing any product that's being flounted via these stupid ads. Hubby laughed at me when I said so - but since our next truck will be for ME, don't think he or COTH's truck advertisers will be laughing then.

Are you listening COTH? Or sleeping.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Just stop it now!
    Sonesta, you really should email this to them (she says while x-ing out of a dodge ram ad, AGAIN!!! FWIW I will be in the market for a car soon, and it will NOT be any type of dodge!!!).
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm ready to leave.....

As for what ever reason my puter rns and hides and crashed ( as in the blue screen of death on regular basis 2-3xs a day) when ever I attempt to down load anything that is 'new" ad blocker is not an option for me. I really hate the pop-up ads that I hve to muddle though now on COTH.

I think I have seen them all now. Lucky for me I have sown off Dodge for a long time sonce the CEO of the company told me that my jeep was a throw a way car at 85thousand miles wen it refused to start right after I put gas in it at a gas station in the winter, with snow on the ground in New Jersey.. And I lived in Ohio.

I like others will not purchase the products in the adverts. I do have t go to Mich. once a year to the VFW Childrens Home once a year however
    but other than that.

I am on the fence on if I will leave or not. Leanng twards leaving.
    Friend of bar .ka

Sorry for the lack of response on this thread. The moderation staff monitor threads in the Help forum more closely for tech issues, so I'd like to direct further comments about this issue to this thread so we can monitor everything in one place.

We've been scurrying around behind the scenes, working on the software upgrade for the site, so sorry for "going dark" on this topic.

The ads come pre-designed, so our tech crew can't easily modify the code to move or make more visible the close button, or we would have done that already. We're going to discuss the topic today in a meeting, in terms of addressing your concerns with this round of ads if possible or any future ones of this type that are sold.

We appreciate that ads can be annoying, especially when it's hard to close them easily (!), but they literally are what pays the bills, employing us and allowing the site to exist as a free service. We'll work to make any future ads of this type more user-friendly.

I, for example, get one of the dashboard ads maybe once or twice a session, but it clearly sounds like some of you are being inundated with them and/or that they're locking up your computers. If that's the case, could you please leave a note on the help forum thread with the issue and your browser and version so we can look into the issue further.

Thanks for your patience ~
    Mod 1