The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

All last night I kept getting an "Enjoy Michigan" floating ad. Agree, very annoying.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Okay, before we get locked for discussing non horsey stuff, anyone use the AdBlock for Safari? After you install they ask you to pay 'on the honor' system, what you can afford..

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Yup. I do not understand all the people who complain and complain about ads, yet won't take three minutes to make them go away permanently. Some people just like to complain.
    Or don't want to download software from an unknown source onto their computer. Been there done that, not doing it again.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I use Chrome and had a blocker, and I am getting the pop ups. Not today so far, but the last few days it would randomly come up if I went anywhere near the bottom. It would go away if I switched threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Okay, before we get locked for discussing non horsey stuff, anyone use the AdBlock for Safari? After you install they ask you to pay 'on the honor' system, what you can afford..
    If you have Safari, like I do, you don't need any other, although plenty try to sell you stuff anyway, like MacKeeper and such.

I still have not seen any strange pop-ups?

Wait for them, Bluey. They're wide, centered, bottom floaters that force you to scroll early unless you close the ads. They can't just be ignored. The "Close" x (which you have to really look for) on the ads is located over our side banner ads, so if you're a bit off on your close click, you wind up on another page.

Not cool at all. Incredibly obnoxious, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    if you dont want to donate to them - dont simple. whether you do or not has nothing to do with how well the software works

I have Ad Block Plus and Firefox and it isn't blocking the ads. As soon as I started typing here, the stupid ad popped up. I actually reported it to ad block plus to help them figure out how to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Yup. I do not understand all the people who complain and complain about ads, yet won't take three minutes to make them go away permanently. Some people just like to complain.
    Some of us don't have a choice. I've got Firefox with AdBlocker at home, but at work, we cannot download any other browser than IE, and can't download ad-ons for it. So, there, I'm getting crazy pop-ups at the bottom of the page, and can't do anything about it

I really don't mind the side banner ads at all, and have even clicked through quite a few of them. But the uncontrollable pop-ups drive me batty, and I won't purchase from a retailer than uses them!

I'm on Safari on my iPad, and I have been getting them intermittently.

I've been getting them for a little while, like say a weeek. John Deere mostly. They come up and then they usually go down by themselves. Just more s**t to put up with.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by zakkandtoto View Post
    Wait for them, Bluey. They're wide, centered, bottom floaters that force you to scroll early unless you close the ads. They can't just be ignored. The "Close" x (which you have to really look for) on the ads is located over our side banner ads, so if you're a bit off on your close click, you wind up on another page.

Not cool at all. Incredibly obnoxious, in fact.
    Ok, finally, should not have bragged so much, I did see my first one.
    Don't know what it was, don't care, left it alone, went away again, all clear for now.

Yes, that seems a bit overkill on the ads, not like we don't have plenty already.

I'm in the same "can't download stuff at work" boat, and it's driving me batty. No ad blocker here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I use Chrome and had a blocker, and I am getting the pop ups. Not today so far, but the last few days it would randomly come up if I went anywhere near the bottom. It would go away if I switched threads.
    ARGH, me too! GET RID OF THEM, PLEASE!

I don't think I get them on my computer due to adblocker but I just did on my phone. I pressed the close button twice but it still wouldn't close. And when I zoom to gets bigger too and it scrolls with me!!

I don't mind the side-banner ads since they do not interfere with my ability to read the forums. However, the floating ads are very annoying. I have a personal policy that I will not purchase anything from companies who use floating ads.

Even though I am aware that I can install software to stop these ads from showing up, I'm not so sure I want to continue adding software to my computer to do so. I downloaded something recently that is supposed to stop pop-ups and so forth but it has created a lot of other difficulties so I'm through with downloading that type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    if you dont want to donate to them - dont simple. whether you do or not has nothing to do with how well the software works
    I was wondering if the software was legit or it was a scam?

Just had the first one tonight. It was down at the bottom but blocked the post reply button. I had to be very careful to click on the x so as not to hit the link behind it. I saw it as a challenge!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Hmm, apparently it also pops up on my mobile browser, but it doesn't quite work right on that format. Scrolling resulted in part of the ad getting "stuck" in the middle of the page while the bottom portion scrolled. Boo.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    All last night I kept getting an "Enjoy Michigan" floating ad. Agree, very annoying.
    Off all the weird things.

The cancel button is hard to see, but it's there. Just be patient and look for it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/