The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with choosing very minimal criteria and trying every horse that meets them...like 14-16hh, 7-15 years old, and $xxxx and that's it. Don't try to replace your old horse, and try everything. I found my horse by word of mouth, and I don't know if I would have looked twice at him in an ad. He was primarily Western trained (former ranch horse), not much to look at, especially in his winter coat, but I went to look because he fit my minimum criteria...and I found an absolute gem. He was beautifully responsive to the aids, quiet, and willing. And cute. Really, really cute. He had no dressage training and didn't know how to use his back-his go-to resistance when he's nervous is to hollow out big time. He's not fancy enough for rated dressage or hunter shows, but he cleans up locally in hunter pleasure and I've won Western pattern classes on him as well and he's gotten some respectable dressage scores. He has made me look at horse shopping differently because if I'd seen an ad for him, I probably wouldn't have bothered...what a mistake that would have been!

Do you ride with a trainer? Ask him or her to ask around their connections and see what's available, and go look at everything, no matter where it's advertised or what it looks like in the photos (or hen you get there as long as it's sound). Ask any horsey friends to keep an ear out as well...sometimes the best horses aren't advertised.

ETA: 15 would not be a deal breaker for me if everything else was as you had hoped. With proper care, you could easily have ten years or more with a horse that's 15 for what you want to do.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Here is one to think about

Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Hi, OP,

I don't know how feasible it is for you to search in Abbotsford but there is an ad for a 7 y.o. Morab gelding named Tommy at Circle F Horse Rescue. He's 14.2 hh and the adoption fee is $800.00.

There's lots of pics, a video and an in-depth write up about him. He sounds just darling. I wish that I could have him for myself.

http://www.circlef.ca/tommy.htm

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    I had been in touch with a local sport pony breeder, and they had a few they suggested I come out and try. I showed up and tried a morgan mare they hadn't even thought of or mentioned to me prior... this was a pleasant surprise as I LOVE morgans! She was chewing on the bit and foaming at the mouth after the second lap with the owner. I had a pleasant ride on her and she is apparently great on the trails. However, she's 15, which is 3 or 4 years older than I was really hoping to look at.

Then I got to see the other young mare go. I think she was 5, half connemara, 15h and very pretty. Sensitive, good disposition, and the trainer made her look lovely. I was given the impression she was either happy with you or not and you need kind quiet hands and so when I got on, I just rode forward with a very soft hand and didn't ask for much, until about halfway through where I got her attention a bit better. She had lovely gaits, and while she's green, she's got a nice foundation and I could see us coming along together.

But -- she's well outside the budget I had mentioned I was looking at. As far as my riding, they said I was being too hard on myself, that she looked lovely, and that I should come back with eyes on the ground (everyone else is at a show this weekend) and that their trainer would give me a mini lesson. It would be a week or so before I could back out there anyhow.

I try another mare tomorrow, and my BO's event horse (who had been away on free lease) on Tuesday. I'm quite hopeful about him, as he fits the bill besides not being higher maintenance. I was really hoping for a hardy easy keeper pony with good feet, not TB or part TB needing shoeing all around and groceries! The BO's horse isn't particularly high maintenance, I'm just gun shy about TBs and the potential for being very breakable (mine was), but I know all horses can be.

So we'll see. I'll try these next two, and see how they go. Perhaps I'll get back in touch with the owner from today and mention my situation, saying I liked her, see the potential, but that I don't want to waste her time and I simply can't spend that much, but that if she honestly felt we were a good match, wants to sell and wants to know the horse is going to a great home, maybe we could work something out.

But again, I've got a few more well schooled prospects on the horizon
    IMO, 3-4 years older than ideal isn't that bad. Morgans are notoriously hardy individuals, and if she's 15 and low maintenance, then I would *seriously* consider her, especially if you had a good ride. Maybe sit on her again and go for a short trail ride if allowed.

Good luck with the next two, and good luck in general!!

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    IMO, 3-4 years older than ideal isn't that bad. Morgans are notoriously hardy individuals, and if she's 15 and low maintenance, then I would *seriously* consider her, especially if you had a good ride. Maybe sit on her again and go for a short trail ride if allowed.

Good luck with the next two, and good luck in general!!
    I was thinking the same thing!

If these others do not work out, I would go try the Morgan mare again. You may fall in love or realize she is not the one. She sounds worth a second look.

Good luck in your search!

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyS View Post
    I kind of hope, after nearly four years, that the OP found a horse that met her criteria.
    LMFAO, I checked the date of the post above mine, but I should have looked a little harder!
    Last edited by TheHotSensitiveType; Aug. 18, 2016 at 01:27 PM.

I kind of hope, after nearly four years, that the OP found a horse that met her criteria.

12 members found this post helpful.

Just go out and look at hundreds of horses. That's what I've sometimes done. Multiple states, multiple prices, everyone calling me and telling me what to buy. Just go out there and do it and don't think so much about the issues. When you find the right horse(s), you will know and will buy. Do not overthink it as I sometimes found myself doing.

I did take an expert with me and did listen to the advice of other experts. But I did make my own decisions.

MTE

HAHAHAHHA!!! How in the heck did the thread even show up then?! I promise I didn't go digging or search for anything!!

*makes mental note to always check dates before posting replies*

1 members found this post helpful.

I do wonder how it turned out?

2 members found this post helpful.

This is a zombie thread but I am looking for the same type of horse and I believe I've found her in the barn's lesson program. She's not trained dressage, but she can jump, is trail safe, and smart. She knows the basics and I can finish her through First which is all I need. The moral is, don't overlook the diamond in the rough.
    Proud member of Appendix QH clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I agree with choosing very minimal criteria and trying every horse that meets them...like 14-16hh, 7-15 years old, and $xxxx and that's it. .
    The best horse we ever had met none of criteria absolutely none, I bought her because of the way she looked at us ....and she never ever did the specific task we were wanting to do .... but did everything else at such a highly competitive ability that she had may people wanting her

We learned a lot together

Default is it worth a long-distance haul?

I know it would add to your budget, but maybe it's worth haunting the sales sites for a different region where dressage is much more prevalent. Keep your radius to where shipping would be $800 or so, and line up a bunch of horses where you could fly in and try them all in a 2-3 day timespan. Or, hook up with a trainer in one of these areas who does consignment. Show them some vids of you riding so they have a sense of where you're at, so they could suggest good potential matches.

I totally get that it feels different and probably scary when it's entirely on you to CHOOSE a horse vs making it work with the one that fell into your lap. Just remind yourself how successful you've been with making it work with those other horses, and the love you developed for them. They weren't perfect, but they became what you needed, and vice versa.