The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thorowgood Dressage Saddle tree

I am looking for a synthetic dressage saddle for my Arab mare. The Wintecs all have trees that are too flat from front to back....they bridge really bad on her. Can anyone give me opinions on the Thorowgood dressage saddles? I know there are different models........I think she would just be the Med Wither model, but a wide tree. I just need to know if the tree has more curvature front to back (like a banana)....or is it flat like the Wintecs. Also, overall, how do you like the saddle?

Thorowgood was one of the saddles on Fella that I tried (saddles bridge on him too), and it bridged.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Just wondered the same thing, but was wondering about the Tekna trees, too.

The Tekna (Prestige) trees have more of a curve.

Thorowgoods are best suited for straight backs, they are not banana shaped.

In a similar price range, why not try an M Toulouse they are quite banana-shaped.
    wish to stay synthetic, as previous poster mentioned, the Tekna's are banana shaped.

FWIW the Toulouse was another saddle I tried on Fella. It bridged. The only one that came close was someone's custom Hastilow -less bridging than any of the rest. Maybe you could try that one? Hastiow is not a cheap saddle however.

Otherwise; thorowgood, toulouse, barnsby all bridged.

Paula

Thanks, everyone! The Tekna saddles sound interesting, and I googled them, they look nice for the price. Right now she is going in a Thornhill Vienna, which a saddlefitter said is the right shaped tree for her and most Arabs......but I would like to have a second, synthetic saddle. I've never heard of the Tekna saddles......has anyone had good luck fitting them to the typical Arab back (wide at the front, and a "dippy" back?)

Paulaedwina, is your horse "Fella" an Arabian ???

No, he is a perch/stb cross with a very dippy back, decent withers and wide shoulders.

Paula

I have a thorowgood T6 for my thoroughbred. He has a longish back, and not your typical pointy thbd withers. Its a wide tree, with medium gullet. It fits him VERY well. It is flatter, no banana shape (which works well on my guy) Out of 6 saddles I tried onhim (and rode in) this was the best fit. I can see why it fits flat or long backed horses. I only pretend to ride dressage (just play around in lower levels...not showing), but I looove the saddle for those with a small budget!

Well, keep in mind that Thorowgood builds on several types of trees for several back configurations. Even if your horse isn't high-withered, you may find that the high-wither model is a better match for a curvy topline. I would speak to someone who carries demo stock in Thorowgood and has a good reputation for saddle fitting, such as Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop in Vermont (www.trumbullmtn.com) or Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA (www.hastilowusa.com). Why call Hastilow, you ask? Because the Hastilow adjustable-gullet saddles, which are a subset of their lineup, are being bult on the Thorowgood adjustable trees. Thus Annette has a lot of experience with that tree and what it will/won't fit, and she carries the Thorowgood stuff too.

The Tekna dressage saddles are definitely worth a look. The quality is good, the price is right, and they are curvy in the tree. If you need a trial, The Cheshire Horse in New England will send them out on trial. However, be aware that only the older Teknas are built on Prestige trees. The new Teknas are a little less curvy (still curvy, but not nearly as much) and have adjustable-gullet trees that are fairly different from the earlier Prestige trees.

What is the flap length? Thanks.