The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I power wash, and to be honest, I'd cover the hay with a tarp, and power wash if I did not have a hay loft.

I have gotten more and more efficient over the years, down from a 8 hour chore for 2 or 3 of us (pre-power washing days) to about 3 hours, when we strip all the stalls first. 2x a year I strip and power wash everything, all the stalls and the aisle. At least one other time, I'll power wash the aisle and stall walls, without stripping. It barely gets the bedded stalls damp, and since I use pelleted bedding that needs to be hosed down to not be dusty, it is worth it to keep the cobwebs at bay.

I now have drains in all the stalls, pop the rubber mat cover and it takes me about 10-15 minutes per stall, 30 minutes for the aisle, that is doing the ceiling, and all 4 walls and getting the rubber mats to the point of mostly clean run off. It dries over night, put the drain covers back on, and rebed.

I power washed our 1865 barn ceilings when we moved in 7 years ago; I shop vac the cobwebs now off a ladder. The ancient dust (with bat guano, etc) smelt pretty bad for a week when I power washed it. The barn roof I painted in a weekend(40x50 feet) with a silver aluminum asphalt paint. Rent a Genie Boom Lift and save $2500 over a paint contractor price. The stall walls I powerwash too when the stains offend me. Really perks the place up.

Default Because I'm not allowed to say paint

You can do it!

Pick an amount of time (1 hour, 4 hours?) and a small fix-up project that's been suggested. Take and share before and after pics.

I LOVE this blog. I hope it's ok to post. It's really useful for getting started and not getting overwhelmed:
    [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: sorry, the url name was just a bit too off
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Yikes! That's quite a name for a blog!

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Yikes! That's quite a name for a blog!
    Yeah.... I thought it was "unFUNK" until I looked 2ce. Ouch.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Pretty filthy name, is this person aware that children frequent this site?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

BO and BM think Restore, Habitat for Humanity Restores. The things you can get at them for the little and big projects we have around the farm/barn is unreal. Our store sell paint at 30% of the cost from the paint stores. Now these are mistintes but who cares. Cabinets for the tack and feed rooms, windows and doors, lights and so on.

My BO buys all his paint at our Restore. He repainted all his jumps for less then $60.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

I get the money issue....

so tidy and clean is the way to go.....so it's your labor we are talking about....

If you can take the time to clean up as much as possible....that will make a big difference w/o money out of your pocket.

I know people say to powerwash and paint the trim....but that is money out of your pocket.... good ole elbow grease will make a difference..... I just think of my mom.... we did not have any money....but the house/apt was kept in pristene condition....it's not (totally) about the money.

Take pride in what you have!!!!

n

Power washing shouldn't cost much if you do it yourself. If you don't have one, you can rent one fairly inexpensively. Does make a huge difference.

It sounds like a complete rehab is a future plan, but some paint can spruce up your interior until that can occur.
    Even old chewed wood suddenly looks much better once it has a new coat of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    How do others get the grunge off the stall walls? Manure from a mare that backs up to the wall to manure. The layer of yuck on a corner where the horse rubs all the time, etc.

I can not power wash inside the barn because all my hay is stored right there.
    I use Murphy's Oil Soap and a scrub brush. I've had a couple of those wall poopers.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Painting can be expensive and I realize you are saving for the arena footing. I do have a suggestion. I worked for Sherwin Williams for 10 years and learned a few things along the way.

One is trot down to your local paint store and see what exterior paint they have that is considered a miss match. Doesn't matter what color it is. Figure out how many gallons you will need and start collecting "miss matched" exterior paint. When you get enough gallons start pouring them together. When you dump different colors into a batch you will generally end up with a shade of grey. Mix to get a consistent color. Often this is for sale for between $1-5 per gallon.

We used to do this to miss matched paint in the wal-mart stores where I rep'ed the Dutch Boy Paint. We didn't do it in the actual SW store where I worked later. Just sold it as is.

It may take you a while to collect enough gallons - or you may hit a bonanza when they hire a new employee that messes up a bunch of paint!!
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.