The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Once around, twice around striding.

DH volunteered me to "course design" a once around twice around division at a very small local show. Most of the horses will be ponies and QHs.

Quick question - do you typically still set these on a 12' stride with a 6' landing and 6' take off? It just seems like 72' for 5 strides down a crossrail line is a bit ambitious. What would you recommend?
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I don't think they are. Makes it hard when you have a horse with a huge stride. I would guess the ones I have seen are about 6' short.

In a class like that, the safest thing to do is set them on real 12' strides and let them all add appropriately. The horses will add at least one, and the ponies will add two or more strides.

That's honestly the safest thing to do. Make sure the lines are all at LEAST 4 strides, 5 or more is better, so that there is lots of room to add as many strides as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    In a class like that, the safest thing to do is set them on real 12' strides and let them all add appropriately. The horses will add at least one, and the ponies will add two or more strides.

That's honestly the safest thing to do. Make sure the lines are all at LEAST 4 strides, 5 or more is better, so that there is lots of room to add as many strides as they want.
    This is what we do at our Fall Fair hunter show - set the lines with a generous number or strides, then let people wiggle, squiggle and add at whim.

Agreed. I would just set the regular distances and let people add. If it is the same kind of very small local show that I have been to, the class will not be pinned based on striding anyway. The least scary round will win.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    Agreed. I would just set the regular distances and let people add. If it is the same kind of very small local show that I have been to, the class will not be pinned based on striding anyway. The least scary round will win.
    Yes, it is that kind of show

Thanks everyone. I'll just set two 72' 5 stride lines. That should give people enough wiggle room and still have enough space in the corners to get around the arena.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams