The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advice please (She's home.)

I've just had an email from a friend of mine. She said that she's just found a daughter from my mare Lilly. (who is now dead )

The daughter is ten years old, a TB... and is in bad shape. Her owners are looking to sell. I'm so tempted to load up the trailer and go and get her. The purchase price is do-able, but I already have three horses.

Three was my hard limit- I can afford four, but if anything went wrong, the savings I have wouldn't last as long. Plus, there's the additional time- mornings are already tight.

What would you do?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kookicat; Oct. 7, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Any chance you're willing to part with one of your other horses? When you say "bad shape," is she in such poor shape that she'd be eligible for rescue, or for MSPCA intervention?

Could you rehab her and find her a home, or given her condition would it be an expensive rehab?

Tough situation! Do you have any friends looking for a horse who she might be suitable for?

I would get her, and figure out later what to do with one of the four. If you don't you are going to feel bad about it.
    friend of bar.ka

+100 to the above. Go get the mare. You'll figure the rest out. Do something good for someone or something and the good Karma will come back to you somehow.

Go get her and figure out the rest later. Just because you get her doesn't mean you have to keep her for life.

I had my first horse offered back to me when she was first diagnosed with navicular. She was still sound, and a great horse they just caught it on radiographs. At the time I already owned a horse and wasn't making great money, so I turned her down.

Now I wish everyday I had have just taken the chance and brought her home. I've spent years looking for her. I even paid to see her current owners on the AQHA website...And it was me (no one ever took the time to transfer her registration, which is such a mistake and a bummer). I worry all the time about her.

Go. Get her and then make the decisions about what to do.

Judging from what I've seen of you on this forum, you're going to fret about her forever if you don't go get her. I'm very practical and don't usually say things like this, but, for your own peace of mind, go get her and think about placing her, or one of your other three later.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm going. She's not too far away from me and you're right, I would regret not getting her.

Not sure about placing her- once they arrive here, they tend to stay!

Thanks everyone.

Good luck Kooki, I hope she is not in as bad shape as you worry!

It's the right thing to do. Good luck and safe trip.

You picked the right door! You never know what you'll find in those diamod in the rough types.

And... naturally... pictures ma'am!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Well, she's home.

She's very skinny and a bit beat up looking. She's been turned out with three geldings and they've been picking on her. She has some scrapes on her legs and a few bite marks. Feet aren't great either.

She is sweet and friendly though. Walked straight on the trailer and traveled well.

She was a bit nervous when we got home but she seems to have settled. I left her in with a pile of soaked hay. I'm going to offer her a bit of sugar beet in the morning. Vet is coming out tomorrow night to give her a check up.

I could have cried when I saw her. She was stood on her own in a corner and just looked so sad. I'm very glad that I got her.

Now. I know you feel better, as you should. She'll be better in jig time! WOOHOO!

The best of news for your new, sweet girl. Does she have a registered name? Can you do a tattoo search (not quite sure how it works in Great Britain)? But, the important thing is that she's home, and she's safe and you and she can move forward together.

You know, sometimes I think that's why some of us set absolute maximums --- because we know that there's a little wiggle room there, if we need it.

One other important thing, of course. We need pictures!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Oh, you sucker!! (Said in the best possible way!!) You dun good, the right thing. I'm truly glad you did. She another potato in the pot, so what?? You'll sleep better knowing she's in your barn.

Congrats!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

She has TB papers, but the seller refused to hand them over. Not sure if I can get a copy, but I'm going to try.

I keep wandering out and looking at her. Every time I do I find another scrape.

I'm really bloody furious at the seller for letting her get in this condition. The geldings were all in good weight. She was just the low girl in the pecking order and wasn't getting much hay, I think. (I'm hoping that's all it is and that she's not ill.)

Pictures necessary! Then you can show us an "after" in a few months!
    friend of bar.ka

I'm not comfortable posting photos, sorry.

You'll never regret getting her. I'm so glad she found a home with you.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Yeah! Good news! Glad you got her home. Poor girl sounds like she really needed you.