The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I sure hate to complain. . .

but what is with the annoying John Deere ad that pops up on the bottom of the screen, covering up the posts. Extremely bothersome as I could not find a way to "X" it out... just an arrow to play audio?

ETA: I did find an "X" hidden away, but the complaint remains the same... this is the 4th time it's popped up in less than tn minutes. . .
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Today an ad for some kind of hunting gear popped up covering the bottom 1/4 of the screen. I had to close out of the chronicle forum alltogether to get rid of it. There was no x to close it. I like to come here to read posts, but I won't any more if the ads take it over. This is NOT good!

Firefox plus Adblock Plus. No ads.

Seriously, these ads suck. I had some beer and wings advert, and then a hunting one pop up. They block half the screen and are SUPER aggravating.

PLEASE, please make these terrible ads go away!!!!

I don't care for them either.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

A note to the COTH powers that be: I used to leave ads on for this site, and actually clicked through on more ads here than I do on other sites.

But your choices in the past six months or so went from tolerable ads to ads that actively badgered me (ads with sound, etc), and I went the AdBlock route.

So really -- if you want more advertising revenue, consider ad options that won't drive away the people who are perfectly willing to view and click through on non-intrusive ads.

What they said.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    A note to the COTH powers that be: I used to leave ads on for this site, and actually clicked through on more ads here than I do on other sites.

But your choices in the past six months or so went from tolerable ads to ads that actively badgered me (ads with sound, etc), and I went the AdBlock route.

So really -- if you want more advertising revenue, consider ad options that won't drive away the people who are perfectly willing to view and click through on non-intrusive ads.
    Ditto. About to go the adblock route now & I'm a little bummed as I LIKE many of the ads on CoTH. The freaking pop-up every time I load a page is just completely obnoxious. Bad move.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Ditto.

The Dodge one is popping up EVERY TIME I go to a different page. The only thing I have learned tonight is that I will NEVER buy a Dodge!! I click through quite a few ads on this site, and I appreciate the advertisors that make it possible for me to use this site for free, but an annoying ad that pop-ups everytime I click on a different page is just too intrusive. I am really hoping it is a temporary glitch and not a new advertising ploy because I won't be able to stand that for very long!

I just started getting this a bit ago....very annoying...time to turn adblock on

When I "x" the pop up ad, my Mac gets the turning spiral of doom and freezes up, then says I need to stop unresponsive script.

They are messing with my iPad and I am not happy! Trying to click the x to close sometimes activates the link behind instead, opening a new window (ad). Or the whole thing just locks up completely. I have Adblock onmy PC but didn't have to worry on my iPad...until now.

I actually like the ads along the sides. I get to see new products, etc. The ads with sound are extremely obnoxious, but not enough for adblock. But these new ads along the bottom are too much. I installed adblock. I will miss the ads on the sides, but I cannot stand the ads with sound and the ads that cover half the page.

COTH- please get rid of these ads and I will happily uninstall adblock!

I also made a mental note to never buy a Dodge. I support relevant ads, but I take notice of and avoid supporting companies which use ads that "badger." Ads that are extremely difficult to close are really crossing the line.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Trying to get some answers for you--advertising is not within moderator purvey, and since it's Saturday, it might take a while to find out what the deal is.

Trust me, your voices will be heard!

Mod 3

I think it is a combination of the obnoxious size and the fact that the close button is hidden

you gotta advertise I get that,but the size is off putting.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.