The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to help? Definitely A Happy Ending!!! Update last post

I have a friend at my boarding barn who is selling her 18 year old OTTB. I understand that I can't link to her Craigslist ad here. This horse is THE. SWEETEST. horse. ever. I just love him. I'd buy him if I could. She has him listed on Craigslist for $1500.00 because she believes that price will ensure a non-kill buyer and someone who will really love the horse. I don't see him selling for that amount.

She has financial problems and he has been very difficult and expensive for her to keep sound. He is sound now but he has had so many problems. I understand that it has become financially impossible for her to go on like this, but feel SO bad for the horse. I really have a connection with him.

When sound he is a great, push button ride, and he is beautiful and willing.

I want to help him find a good home. Does anyone have any suggestions? At all?
    Last edited by oliverreed; Oct. 31, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: happy ending!!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

It's hard with so many horses out there cheap to sell an older one with issues to keep him sound. What are his issues? What do you have to do to keep him sound? What was his career?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Low hunter. Has had multiple issues with feet and legs, nothing too overly serious but just one after another - i.e., cut on leg getting seriously infected, I actually can't recall them all.

Default Bumping

sorry to be a pain but I would really like to see if anyone has ANY ideas. My suggestion would be to donate him to Nevins Farm, an MSPCA refuge for horses here in Massachusetts. They'd keep him forever if they could not find him an appropriate home. She'd have to pay them to take him. There's no way she'd consider euthanizing him, I know her.

Does she NEED the money for him? She could give him away, maybe just do word of mouth, tack store fliers, etc to avoid CL killbuyers, but I feel like more people would be willing to take on an older sweet guy for light riding, pasturemate, whatever, if they didn't have to spend a chunk of money on him.

Or even do a free lease? Maybe there's a nice kid out there who can't afford to buy but could use a kind, older guy to teach them the ropes.

No, she doesn't need the money. I'm sure she'd agree to a much lower price or perhaps free if it came to that to the right person. I don't think a free lease would work, though - she's trying to get out from under the cost of owning him. Board at our barn is $600 a month, and then there's farrier, vet, dentist, etc. Her Mom is dying, she owns her own business and is struggling, and her husband doesn't make much money. I don't even think they can afford health insurance.

She has taken absolutely meticulous care of this horse and I know this is just killing her. She told another friend that she is doing OK as long as she doesn't visit the barn (doesn't get there all the time because of dying mother). The horse appears to be really missing interaction with her, so I'm spending as much time with him as I can.

If he is quiet enough, perhaps a donation or a free lease to a therapeutic rding center?
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

List him on here on giveaways and see if anyone clicks.

If you want to help her face reality:

Have her put together a full disclosure list in writing, with costs to keep him sound. She "knows" all this, but seeing it in writing may be a reality check that he is 1) overpriced, and 2) a huge risk for a new owner to take on.

That means that even if she finds the perfect owner now, she needs to realize she can't control what the new owner will do when the horse's problems become too much for them.

Get ads for other horses for sale at $1500, so she can see what her horse is competing against in that market.

If that discussion is going to end badly no matter what:

Suggest retirement board. She could probably retire him more cheaply than what she pays now, and if she can adjust from "keep him riding sound" to "keep him comfortable until it's time to put him down," this may help her financially.

Suggest free leasing. She won't get money for him, but she may find a home willing to take him for a year or so, and then a new home, etc. He will be off her payroll but in a little better position to intervene if needed (although leases can and do go wrong, so no guaruntee).

Or help her market him better. Help her get really good pictures and videos. Get him listed on major sale sites. Network through social media sites. If he's sound now and a packer, get him to a local show with a kidling on his back and "for sale" on his saddle pad.

I second the Giveaways board. Also, didn't see his ad on craigslist, so maybe she needs to rephrase the title.

Also, she should at the very least get him into a cheaper barn before she finds the right spot for him. Even up in my area, about 45 min from you, she can get good full care for $350. And shouldn't matter that it's a little farther, because it doesn't sound like she has time for the barn no matter where it might be.

I'd do word of mouth and try to find him a good home free. I'd also check into therapeutic riding programs that take donation horses. Also a off farm free lease. I know several people that would do that right now because they have their own place and have retired horses. So while looking for a new horse at least they can still ride. Search wanted ads to see if anyone needs a companion horse but check them out really well before making a deal.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Default Hapy Update???

A COTHer who lives in my neck ofo the woods is coming to see the horse on Sunday! She sounds like she'd be perfect for him, and vice versa. Am keeping my fingers crossed. You guys rock!! (Especially her.)

Keeping my fingers crossed that the wonderful local COTHerr is in fact going to take him! She says she loves him!

Wow a few years ago this was NOT true and I do not think it is now. Nevins Farm, the MSPCA equine rescue home, will take anything. This is true. However, they can only keep the number of horses they have stalls and foster homes for. When they get a new horse, someone else has to die. That's the way it was there years ago, and as far as I know that is how it still works. You can donate anything to them- but it might be put to sleep or it might make something else get put to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    sorry to be a pain but I would really like to see if anyone has ANY ideas. My suggestion would be to donate him to Nevins Farm, an MSPCA refuge for horses here in Massachusetts. They'd keep him forever if they could not find him an appropriate home. She'd have to pay them to take him. There's no way she'd consider euthanizing him, I know her.

Horse has found a forever home with a WONDERFUL COTHer!!! I believe she is picking him up Saturday. She'll update when she has him.

I am SOOOO happy and relieved! I think this will be the best home he could possibly have!!

Thanks, COTHEers, for all your advice!

3 members found this post helpful.

Handsome horse came home to live with me today. He's got a lifelong home with my daughter and I, and now we can ride together finally!
    He settled in great, and is turned out with his big sister Chinook. He's a sweet, wonderful guy, and thanks to Oliverreed for helping us find each other!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the kids.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	37106  
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

10 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful news and long and happy years together!! Thank you Oliverreed and Kari. I love happy endings!

1 members found this post helpful.

Great update!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Handsome horse came home to live with me today. He's got a lifelong home with my daughter and I, and now we can ride together finally!
    He settled in great, and is turned out with his big sister Chinook. He's a sweet, wonderful guy, and thanks to Oliverreed for helping us find each other!

Fantastic update, win win for all and two greys! How perfect
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?