The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Speak to me of Ranitidine....

I've been digging up as many threads as possible on this subject, but I'm wanting more specific answers...

I suspect ulcers in my TB, and am wanting to do a trial treatment without spending gobs of $$$, so am exploring the 3x/day ranitidine route. I have a Costco nearby so would like to get the meds there. Do I need a Rx?

Regarding dosing...the horse is right around 1200#. He's a big boy, lol. Would it be 11 pills, three times a day, for a month?

Ok final question! If he doesn't get the pills every eight hours on the dot, is it a waste of money? The feeding schedule is 6/7am, and 4/5pm. I can easily give him a dose for lunch, but driving out to the barn at midnight isn't exactly...convenient.

I appreciate advice, but please don't tell me to do a month of UG or GG...it's just not feasible.

No, you don't need a prescription.

Three times daily is optimal dosing. Twice daily is sufficient for many individuals. If you're wanting to do an empirical trial to see if your horse's behavior improves, I'd do the 3x daily so you have a clearer answer.
    Click here before you buy.

I dosed my mare with 3600 mg (12, 300 mg tablets) twice daily and that put her back on feed and water within a few days, so I know it was doing SOMETHING as intended in there! [and my mare was scoped, so we know she is an ulcer candidate, so when her pickiness and less water intake started up again, we knew it was her tummy]

Do the price/mg computation before assuming that Costco is cheaper. Figure how many total milligrams you will get in a bottle and what the price for that bottle is. Divide the price by the total milligrams to get price/mg.

I can get it cheaper thru my vet than thru Walmart.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

It's cheaper yet to get your vet to call in a prescription to a compounding pharmacy. I have used Lexington in KY and get the 5 gram per scoop strength ... I use 1/2 scoop morning and night.

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    It's cheaper yet to get your vet to call in a prescription to a compounding pharmacy. I have used Lexington in KY and get the 5 gram per scoop strength ... I use 1/2 scoop morning and night.
    I'm curious about doing the math. How many grams do you get in the container and how much does it cost?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

The number of pills ENTIRELY depends on what size they are.

1200lb means 3600gm each feeding. If you have 150mg pills, that's 24 pills.

I pay $25 for 250 count 300 mg pills. He gets 12 2x daily (or 3x, depends on how I'm treating him).

My guy as I remember got something like 25 pills (but can't remember the size pills so not very helpful!). The medication was, however,VERY helpful. He got his pills dissolved in water, then that water poured over his grain. He is normally extremely picky (you cannot "hide" any kind of powdered medication in his food!) but he ate the ranitadine right down, and really, really improved! He also got a diet overhaul (no beet pulp which had really exacerbated his problems,no alfalfa, tried a bazillion different feeds and he is now on omolene 100 with no problems - yay - and straight grass hay). With the ranitadine he really improved (after a lengthly stay at the vet, on IV fluids, scoped, the whole bit) but he is just a "high maintenance" guy I need to always keep a close eye on as he does not do well with any kind of change!!

And however they were divided up, he got his pills three times a day, with four feedings. he does much better that way (small, frequent feedings)

I fed three times per day when my horse was really sick with ulcers. I did as close to every 8 hours as I could, but it was a couple hours off sometimes and that did not seem to have an effect. She has chronic ulcers and I feed approx every twelve hours to prevent recurrance.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

You need an Rx for the higher-dosage pills, but not for the others. The horse hospital that did the original scoping called mine in. My vet will do the same.

The cost was just under $35 out the door for three-weeks worth (11 of the larger pills, 3x a day. It would have been a few dollars cheaper for a member. I just calculated that three weeks worth was 693 pills for that ~$35, but it's early here so caveat emptor.

The horse hospital said that you need to get the pills into the horse in a manner that delivers them all within not too many minutes. So, if your horse will scarf them all down with food quickly, you can go that route. Star is really easy to dose with a syringe (as in you don't need to put a halter on him) so we went that route--grinding them and mixing with applesauce. We pre-ground them and worked out how many scoops worked out to 11 pills.

We did not do them exactly 8 hours apart. It was whenever the first barn person got there (7 am most days), then noon-ish, then whenever the evening walk-thru/blanketing person came (6-7-ish). This was going on over Christmas break so there was a day or two when the AM or PM dose was later or earlier. On Christmas I think he got the AM dose at about 10 am, but I went ahead and did the next one at noon-ish, figuring that it was best to carry on with the schedule.

My mare gets 3600mg once a day and has been happier.

I get a bottle of 300mg pills, each bottle containing 250 pills. My dad (a vet) orders it for me from his drug reps... it's a whopping $10 and change per bottle.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

My horse gets 10, 300mg pills a day and it's pretty cheap from SmartPak (with an Rx)---your vet can just send an Rx with endless refills. It's only $67.90 for two 250ct bottles. Doesn't seem terrible in price. I used to get it $60 for two bottles when my trainer was my vet, so not a huge price increase---and of course the autoship from SmartPak is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    My horse gets 10, 300mg pills a day and it's pretty cheap from SmartPak (with an Rx)---your vet can just send an Rx with endless refills. It's only $67.90 for two 250ct bottles. Doesn't seem terrible in price. I used to get it $60 for two bottles when my trainer was my vet, so not a huge price increase---and of course the autoship from SmartPak is awesome!
    ONLY $34 per bottle?? Cost is about $10 per bottle!
    VW sucks.

Summarizing (and assuming that the pills match):
    amastrike's DVM dad = $10/250 pills = $0.0040/pill
    jlphilli's SmartPak = $68/500 pills = $0.136/pill
    Peggy's Costco = $35 (w/tax)/690 pills = $0.0507/pill

Tho I am only justified in two sig figs since I rounded the initial amounts.
    Last edited by Peggy; Jan. 29, 2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: It's 250 pills (one bottle) not 500, but the cost per pill is the same since I actually did divide by 250, not 500.

Peggy, it's $10/250 pills.
    VW sucks.

Sorry to hi-jack, but...
    I've been using Ranitidine for well over a year now. I've always dissolved the caplets in water well ahead of time and pour it on horse's feed.
    In a recent thread there was talk that Ranitidine is light and liquid sensitive.
    Am I reducing it's effects by dissolving in water?

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    ONLY $34 per bottle?? Cost is about $10 per bottle!
    Considering the local vets charge $60/bottle ($120/500 pills!), I consider myself lucky! I don't have a Costco around. The autoship is also nice since with my busy lifestyle I would never remember.

ETA: I also have a friend who gets it here, and it's $35 for 250ct of 300mg tablets, but I think you have to pay shipping. So if you don't have a Costco or a DVM dad (or don't want to do Smartpak), this is an option: http://www.allivet.com/ShoppingCart....roductID%3d160

I have purchased Bute and Adequan from Allivet; they have great service.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Peggy, it's $10/250 pills.
    Thanks. I fixed it. Though I did actually divide by 250 when I did it in my head. My vet was astonished when I told her the price I paid at Costo. I think if I was a member -~$4) and hadn't paid tax, my cost would be around that of your dad's cost.

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack, but...
    I've been using Ranitidine for well over a year now. I've always dissolved the caplets in water well ahead of time and pour it on horse's feed.
    In a recent thread there was talk that Ranitidine is light and liquid sensitive.
    Am I reducing it's effects by dissolving in water?
    A pharmacist (call a local pharmacy) would cheerfully and competently be able to answer this question for you.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.