The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Critique my colt

I am taking him to the Royal Winter Fair next month (CSHA weanling show - think hunter breeding class for him) and would like to know what others think of him from the pictures I have. The main picture shows him a month ago at 4.5months.

http://taryn-new.wix.com/slequestrian#!ardimas/cz15

(My first website so if you see anything that is not working please let me know).

Thanks a bunch!

website doesnt work
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Not sure why that is...
    Go to :

http://taryn-new.wix.com/slequestrian

His name is Ardimas under 2012 foals

I can see it.

That's him at 4.5 months old, how old is he now?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

He is 5.5months

Anyone? I am just curious because he is my first home bred foal and I am getting a bit nervous to bring him out in public for everyone to see. Any comments do help.

Thanks again

Okay, I'll bite.

I like his topline, for the most part.

I, personally, think he's a little weak in his loin.

He also looks just a wee bit short in the neck, but that could be that "I'm growing and a bit gangly" thing all foals do multiple times. Let him stick his nose out a bit more and it'll give a more elongated appearance.

It looks like he's got a little Roman nose? I'm a sucker for either a really, really pretty dish, or a little Roman nose.

His shoulder is fine, very much what Apiro throws. His legs look good, too.

In all honesty, it looks more to me right now like he's just growing. Nothing is bad, and I think you'll do absolutely fine in the class you want to enter.

"IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Babies change all the time. One day they look great and the next they can look like a train wreck. Don't take anything too personal, most people know that the foal class is not too indicative of things to come. There is obvious issues sometimes that will not clear up but in general many things will change. Take him and have fun and don't worry too much.
    Good Luck!

PS some horses that look amazing as foals do not turn out to be any better than average and vice versa.
    One more thing....it may just be the pic but is he a bit club footed in the front?

Ditto for stoicfish.

Good luck if you decided to go! One never know!

Thank you everyone!

Kenike, I wish I had a good picture with his nose out, unfortunately everytime we take pictures he is in brat mood and does not want to cooperate haha such a boy! But I am working on that with him, I have been told he actually has a longer neck, but I don't think the picture is the best for showing it off and I do think he was going though a growth. And he does have a bit of a Roman nose, I didn't really care what his face looked like but I was hopeing it would not be straight like his moms.

I'm glad that no one has had anything terribly bad to say about him! Thanks a lot. I will let you guys know how he does

Any other comments are welcome!

I quite like him. He will change TONS over the weeks/months/years but at this moment in time:

I like his head personally, his neck appears to be set nicely, I like the length of his back (looks like it will be strong), looks like he will have a good hindquarter to him and he has nice bone especially for a youngster.

Maybe I'd like to see a thinner throatlatch and a bit more slope to his shoulder? I do say that about most horses though so . . .

Definitely feel confident taking him to shows! He's a nice looking boy and I would be proud.

Take lots of pictures over the years and you'll gasp at just how much he changes from handsome to gangly. LOL The growth spurts are amazing!
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

I kind of figured that was the case with his neck because it ties in so well and everything else is in such good proportion. Plus, he does look like he's just growing, growing, growing...which always makes things look a tiny bit odd.

Bear in mind I'm used to seeing fat pony bums, so everyone else looks a little weak there to me!

But I totally agree with TPF in that I love his head. I mean that when I say I'm smitten with a little Roman nose! I also agree that the gangliness changes by the moment. It is always fun to look back! But really, I think he'll be one nice horse when he grows up.

Seriously, I do think he'll do just fine in the class you're aiming for. Can't wait to hear the results!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by stoicfish View Post

One more thing....it may just be the pic but is he a bit club footed in the front?
    Nah, he's just a bit long/weak in the pasterns yet. Once he builds up some strength and muscle, it will all even out.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Nah, he's just a bit long/weak in the pasterns yet. Once he builds up some strength and muscle, it will all even out.
    Most foals are long as they have their adult pasterns, but I do not typically see the club thing. Is it common and I just didn't notice? Or just a picture thing?
    The only reason I brought it up was in case it was a trimming issue.
    Last edited by stoicfish; Oct. 7, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Oh, I didn't see when you added clubbed foot. The angle of the foot is getting better, he was born with rather upright feet, but it is correcting. I was wondering if anyone would notice, once he gets his next trim it should look much better.

Thanks for all the comment!

My advice.... take him. Let him be judged and take that information as a base for future breeding. Be prepared for whatever critique you get as it can help guide you in the future.

As for my personal critique of the foal:

Slightly underweight.... not by much but could be from a growth stage (most likely) or just needs some extra nutrition and mom doesn't have enough to give or allow for (should be eating some grain now).

Neck is short with a steep angle to shoulder. Will probably change as he grows. Trotting photo from that angle shows limited extension and use of shoulder. This is likely due to the angle of the shoulder, but also not the best angle to critique from.

A little soft in the front pasterns/fetlock.

Legs overall seems correct from this angle.... would be nice to see from the front.

Stifle is good and hind end looks strong.

No reason not to take him to inspection!

Best of luck!
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions