The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pics Added! Bump on croup between tail and high point???

My 6yo WBx gelding has been NQR under saddle since our last HT 2weeks ago, but does look sound on the lunge. Tonight, I was noticing that he has a firm lump on either side of his spine about halfway between the top of the tail and the high point of the croup. It's about a 4inch oval on both sides. It does not look like a hunter's bump (which I think is normally at the top of the croup). The lump is symmetric and feels like a muscle knot. He was licking and chewing as I tried to massage it. Has anyone ever had something similar? I plan to take him to the vet next week for some diagnostics when my work schedule allows.

Left side:
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1600dfe9.jpg

Right side:
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5f4a8d49.jpg

Back:
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf632859d.jpg
    Last edited by InstigatorKate; Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added pics

Would love to see a picture. My 15 year old hunter had hard raised muscles in different place -- sort of vertically down from the top of croup to point of hip. He recently had SI injections and those muscles have become much softer.
    friend of bar.ka

He could have strained something and you're seeing the swelling now. I'd try ice/heat.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Diagnosis from the vet: no lameness, just tight throughout his lumbar spine and some gluteal soreness. Muscle knots are probably from him trying to hold himself in a way to protect the lumbar area. 1 week of muscle relaxers, 2 weeks of bute, 1 week of rest and then some long and low work and see how he does.

Sending jingles.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

MY HORSE HAS THIS!

He is 8yo now and has had it for YEARS now.

Same exact location, same exact description and he also licks and chews when I moosh it. (ok massage, whatever).

Several years ago he had a pasture injury-a slip and fall and I simply can't recall if the lump happened then but I am betting it did.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    MY HORSE HAS THIS!

He is 8yo now and has had it for YEARS now.

Same exact location, same exact description and he also licks and chews when I moosh it. (ok massage, whatever).

Several years ago he had a pasture injury-a slip and fall and I simply can't recall if the lump happened then but I am betting it did.
    Did your horse have any ill-effects? I know it developed somewhere between Labor Day weekend (have pics with no lump) and last week. The NQR-ness has been over the past 2 weeks. Vet agreed he's sound, but a bit braced and swinging wide in his hind end while tracking left.

None I would stress over.

He can be a bit 'tight behind' sometimes but nothing he won't work out of and I don't even know if it is related to the lump.

I just wish I knew what exactly it is-a thickened ligament is my best guess?

I am sure you will have some NQR during the acute phase...hopefully you will have nothing more than that like 'us.'

I ride him almost daily and ride him fairly hard. I have never felt he was limited physically in any way because of it.

I don't 'protect him' or not do things because of it.

He tracks evenly and tracks up well, is able to use his hind end and back well. What I don't know is if he would be better without it because his injury happened when he was maybe 3-4 years old.

I would think something like myofascial release would be helpful..perhaps? maybe?

Oh his weakness is his RH-it takes more effort to keep his RH under him-however (again) I don't know if it is the bump or just inherent crookedness that we all have.