The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Castrating

Hi all, just wondering what you all do. I will also contact my vet for his opinion.

I just got 2 babies, sort of a rescue. The ranch where we have gotten many of our horses sold this summer, the new owner had someone looking after the horses - a stallion, the broodmares and quite a few babies. The jerk pulled all the babies off the mares? Not sure why, but the two I got are maybe 3 to 4 months old.

They aren't too small and look pretty good, they are perch crosses, and cute as can be. My question is when do you all castrate your boys? Lots of different opinions out there...just thought I'd ck here....thanks.

My colt was castrated at 5 months old because the little bugger was acting like a stud. And he had both testicles decended already.

They do say that castrating them younger makes them grow a bit taller. There is actual science behind that, as testosterone causes the growth plates to close.

To be honest, I don't think it makes a difference as to when you geld them providing the testicles are down and the colts are healthy. I can say it was easier on my five month old colt than it was on my friends 3 year old. He had no swelling, very little drainage, etc.

I generally do it when it's convenient for the vet to get here, provided the colts are healthy, the weather not too hot or nasty wet, and they have both testicles "down". I've done as early as 3 months and as late as 6 months, never noticed any particular difference in outcomes.
    Click here before you buy.

Iv had three colts over the years gelded one was 6 months old the others were 2 year olds. Made no diffrence at all all three got tall and turned into great horses.

Agree with Deltawave, with the additional comment that the earlier, the better (but not always possible).