The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Catherine Haddad Staller article on COTH

Good suggestions but the self promotion is more than a bit unprofessional. Once again...
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

She's a fairly proven GP rider at the international level. Why not include herself in the list? Wasn't the point of her article all about not limiting the "consideration pool" to a few riders, but look at everyone at that level to see where there are some hidden gems and ones that with a bit more polish, could be our next crop of super-stars?

I don't see it as unprofessional at all.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I don't know if I criticize the 'self promotion' that much. AG said 'we have no good stuff,' and she's saying, "hey, I got good stuff!" Basically the USA doesn't have a methodology of utilizing what it's got.

Which I pointed out when I realized SP left a perfectly good horse in his barn, as opposed to CH who put a student on a 'good' horse.

Haha. 'Good'.

I think she's right. In America, the top of our sport, and sometimes our sport as a whole, can be very exclusive. You have to prove yourself before the organizations give you any help or resources. To me, this seems like it's a little late to the the game. If someone shows the talent and motivation to be a top international rider, shouldn't there be a means of identifying and nurturing this person? Rather than waiting for them to win the lottery or find a wealthy sponsor so that they can get the horse they need for that level, and then wait for them to reach that level on their own? It seems like we should be sending out teams that are made up of the best of the best, not the best of the ones who got lucky enough to make it there.

Of course there are many issues, such as money-most promising FEI riders can't take the time off of teaching and training their students to go to Europe or train at a world class trainer's barn for a few months-but where there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure all of our wonderful officials at USDF, USEF, and USET can put their heads together and come up with something that will work.

First of all it is a blog post, not an article.

But secondly, I think she is totally right in her response to AG saying she "couldn't list" enough people.

Even my little old self reading that thought to myself, "What about Catherine Haddad, isn't she already IN Europe?"

Haddad has mentioned a couple times in her blogs that despite the fact that she is RIGHT THERE, already IN EUROPE, she gets overlooked. It seems reasonable to me that we ought to keep a little better track of what is going on with the riders we already have.

I think it would be a novel idea to send a 'talent scout/mentor' to as many CDIs as USEF/USDF/USET can muster. This person could be the coach, or an already established team rider. That person's sole function would be to watch the young riders, small tour and large tour CDI classes (and maybe the national GP), and meet riders and/or horses that have potential. They could answer training/feeding/conditioning/show schedule questions, give tips on specific movements, report back on riders or horses that seem like they could go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I think it would be a novel idea to send a 'talent scout/mentor' to as many CDIs as USEF/USDF/USET can muster. This person could be the coach, or an already established team rider. That person's sole function would be to watch the young riders, small tour and large tour CDI classes (and maybe the national GP), and meet riders and/or horses that have potential. They could answer training/feeding/conditioning/show schedule questions, give tips on specific movements, report back on riders or horses that seem like they could go somewhere.
    I think you could even just have people who want to be watched/considered submit their names and what shows they are going to plus what horses they have to a list. It can not possibly be that difficult to put said list on a calendar and call in every so often to see how things are going and do you need help with anything in particular.

Perhaps if several people from "the list" are going to the same big show, a coach could be sent over to spend a day. Or if several people from "the list" live in the same area, a clinic in their neck of the woods could be sponsored. Or even shipping from their neck of the woods to Wellington in the winter could be jointly arranged. Moreover, certain shows for people on "the list" to attend with their particular horses could be suggested with additional support options arranged at those shows.
    That sort of thing.

I don't think it is necessary to specifically send out a scout to random horse shows just to see who may be out there. If someone is out there who has competitive aspirations and hears that there is this "list," they will send their info in, and be more than happy to attend and continue to earn their place at "the list"-suggested shows, clinics, etc.

I thought it was a great article. And taking into consideration Ann Gribbons "whine" about everything going wrong (she was a Coach for the Team) - why not look at the system. We have the same old same old people in most of our horse organizations. Getting them to change anything requires much kissing of rings and sometimes only the big buck donors get their ear. We need to clean house and condense our organizations to be ONE with sub departments. It would reduce costs, allow for money to be spent on hiring better staff and COACHES. It would also free up money to support up and coming riders and horses.

It seemed like our efforts before and at the Olympics was like a tire without enough air. The same thing at DAD this year - when 1/2 the riders in the GP are from Canada - what's that telling us about who are the new elite athletes for our country.

We need some fresh horses and not just the ones in tack.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I believe she's got it right. It's similar to what was done in the 70s and 80s when people were picked by a committee and then were worked with and helped along the way. It can be perverted, but when done well, it can turn out a top team. Just look at women's gymnastics and how they pick and work with the girls on the squad.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

you know, there's clearly room for improvement, but there was a lot of change in the system between 2008 and 2012. turns out the changes didn't work as we would have hoped, but hindsight is 20/20.

the USEF HP committee spend inordinate amounts of time discussing what would be the best approach for the US to improve on the results of Hong Kong. they invited all the long listed riders to give input (most said they didn't want a coach btw.) they interviewed potential coaches, observed coaches coaching and met and met and met. it's interesting to hear folks talk about the 'old guard' running things. there are some who would say that the old guard was overturned when AG was made technical advisor and Dover was not hired.

it's great that CH has written down her ideas. I agree with a lot of what she says. however, I wouldn't be too hard on the USEF. they did a lot of homework, it just didn't work out. AG probably had a little too much Steffen worship and tried to make him ipso facto trainer to the team (to the dismay of several riders.) I agree with CH that there was too much focus on a few individuals and not enough planning ahead/developing. as technical advisor, it seems to me that was AG's job.

also agree with CH that there was minimal communication between many long listed riders and the USEF. it was also surprising to hear AG tell a group of long listed riders that if they didn't have a sponsor to pay their way, to forget it because the USEF didn't have money to support them. talent/potential didn't seem to matter as much as funding.

I thought it was brilliant and a great peek into the scene from across the pond looking back at us.

A lot of what she said is the same thing I have heard before.

Self promotion? Its her own blog! LOL
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    I thought it was brilliant and a great peek into the scene from across the pond looking back at us.

A lot of what she said is the same thing I have heard before.

Self promotion? Its her own blog! LOL
    Blog, schmog, the issue is the lack of talent scouts and coaches without an agenda of some sort. It is obvious she is qualified and they are overlooking it, why not a list of those who are including herself. It is just childish and lacks the very polish that she is bemoaning. I don't care if it is her very own pink pony diary, she is supposed to be making suggestions as a professional, well then, walk the walk.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

My dear Calamber,

If you think that publishing my opinion about how things should be (when clearly they are currently NOT that way) is "self promoting", I wonder what you would think is risky for an international rider who is dissatisfied with the status quo?

Take away the fact that I have up and coming horses that nobody in the USA knows anything about. We still have 7-8 pairs that could go to Normandy. So why is our Team Advisor implying that she cannot name them? Lack of communication--which I believe is a very clear point in my blog.

Believe me, Calamber, writing this kind of stuff is not going to get me promoted in the eyes of the current leadership. I hope, however, that it can help the future of American dressage. And yes, that is something worth sticking my neck out for.

Catherine

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it was an excellent blog post/article. It had a lot of food for thought throughout and I look forward to reading the next installments.

If AG doesn't or can't think of more than 4 or 5 pairs of horse/rider combinations capable of international potential, maybe she needs a little poke in the ribs to get her thinking and investigating.

Sometimes people get so stuck in what has been or what is that they can't see for the future. We must step outside our own little box and comfort zone. Fresh ideas are worthy of a thought or two. People who have been exposed to something different or something that is working for others should at the very least be given a listen.

My kudos go to Catherine Haddad.

Speaking out always comes with a risk. I appreciate CH's blog, an expression of her opinion and views. Even if everyone does not agree, it is helpful to put all perspectives on the table to learn and grow.

Regarding scouting talent, why not appoint suitable judges who are obviously watching some of these riders to submit their ideas along with riders submitting their requests for consideration, maybe do a computerized cross-check? This may fill in some of the communication gap.

We are never going to change our culture to match another culture/country's program. Our geography, trainer business plans and concentration are simply too different. We don't have the mega sponsors, as dressage is just not in the public consciousness as it is in Europe. So don't go there. AG was not whining, she was giving us a reality from a learned perspective. Sorry it was not what some of us wanted to read, but it is her truth, and we can learn from that. That's the point of hearing experienced views such as CH and AG.

We can differ and discuss constructively, but dragging down those who have the experience and guts to call it makes no sense.

LOVED LOVED LOVED the article. I was so glad to read a well-reasoned article on what we need to do to move forward, instead of rehashing all our woes.

She has really strong concepts, like treating every GP horse/rider as a Team prospect, mentoring/monitoring/communicating with up & comers, using subject matter experts intelligently, and using a disappointing outcome to engender change instead of whining & casting blame. These are sound management practices in ANY industry, not just equestrian sport.

CH has more perspective on other countries' practices - what works and what doesn't - than most U.S. riders, and like any good writer she backs up all her points with examples. So what if some of her examples involve herself and her horses? Who better to speak about them??

Self-promotion? You really think that executives in ANY organization want PUBLIC dissent in the ranks?!
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I thought that was a great blog post. And she is right.
    Self promotion? Why not? It seems to be what we need to do right now in order to get to the top.
    Good for her!

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Haddad View Post
    Believe me, Calamber, writing this kind of stuff is not going to get me promoted in the eyes of the current leadership. I hope, however, that it can help the future of American dressage. And yes, that is something worth sticking my neck out for.

Catherine
    Catherine,
    I think your views are a breath of fresh air. On another thread I wondered aloud why you always seem to be overlooked--"out of sight out of mind", which would be a pity and short sighted of the US vs. "not playing the game" ie, being outspoken/not PC, which would be the US cutting of it's nose to spite its face.

My trainer called me yesterday to discuss your blog post. Even though I have never met you, I told her that my feeling from reading your blog and watching HOURS of your training videos was that you seemed like just the kind of person who might shake things up to get a better result for others down the road, even if it closed that road for yourself.

Personally, I hope the US high performance committee eventually "discovers" the hidden talent right under their noses! I wish you continued success and am glad that you are moving back stateside so that I may finally be able to get to a clinic with you!

Thanks for your courage!
    Robyn Hahn
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Catherine - thanks for posting.

And it would appear that if any of our HP riders or trainers speak out on something that it can be misconstrued to be self promoting. But the big picture after the London Olympics is the current system is NOT working if the goal for our HP riders/horses is to be on the podium at International competitions.

And I do stand by my comment that AG was whining, as she was long on pointing out the problems, she was short on coming up with solutions. That,in my opinion, as a dues paying member of all of the horse organizations and a long time breeder of sport horses and ponies shows she's not constructive.

AG judges and gives clinics and can read - so she should be somewhat aware of the results at shows all over the US and should have some idea of up and coming talent. From the peanut gallery it just seems like it's the same people over and over again making the decisions and anyone who comes up with new ideas (good, bad or in the middle) is an interloper. Just reading the various horse magazines and looking at show results - it's not hard to see certain names with top scores appearing repeatedly. So finding the up and coming stars is not difficult.

We can ignore the elephant in the room and continue with the same people and the same system but that probably will not work. There is also the strong possibility that the funding for horse sports from the USOC will be reduced due to the results in London.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I have no idea what goes on in other countries, or really at the top here - so it was a very interesting blog to me!

I love the simple idea of check in, discuss strategy, and see how folks are doing. It's hard (expensive) to travel the country and see everyone as has been pointed out many times. But the idea of simple phone calls - why not? Seems a simple enough idea...

The idea of bringing in the best at specific problems also makes tons of sense. Why would you not want to get help from the best possible when possible? If anything, using herself as an example (piaffe passage transitions, I think?) was self deprecating, not self promoting. But then, I suspect someone pisses in Calamber's cornflakes on a daily basis just from posting history.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed