The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fairfax monoflap dressage saddle

So I have been absolutely drooling over this saddle for my super wide-backed mare. I'm wondering if anyone has one or has ridden in one that can give me some insight into both how it fits the human and how it fits the horse? It looks to have nice wide gullet plates, but i'm wondering if the seat size runs small? Any input would be appreciated!

Does it come in the three different "shapes" that the other Fairfax and Thorowgood saddles come in? If so, there is quite a variety in fitting.

If they fit similarly to the regular Fairfax, a friend who tried that one before her horse passed 3 years ago loved the fit. It's the only saddle out of MANY she tried that didn't slide up the poor boy's shoulder without fancy pads. She said the ride was very nice, pretty neutral. Not too deep, nothing big to hold you in a certain position that may or may not work, just easy to ride and very comfortable.

The monoflap does look nice. It was on my list for my filly before I found my dream saddle (JP Giacomini with Flair panels for a steal of a deal).

I tried it -very nice saddle.
    It fit my wide/ flatish boy well.

Me not so much I tried the 18 and it was just too small -I needed an 18.5. (I am 5'6'' -slightly long femurs -wear a 30L in breeches)

I did like the saddle -if it came in an 18.5 I would have bought it.

Some photos on my horse here:
    http://cuonxc.blogspot.com/2012/05/s...le-of-woe.html

You know what's funny is when I was googling "fairfax monoflap" i came across your blog and saw your pictures of the saddle. I think we are similarly built and the same height...which makes me think that it will probably be too small for me too. Too bad because it's such an awesome saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    ...I think we are similarly built and the same height...which makes me think that it will probably be too small for me too. Too bad because it's such an awesome saddle!
    Even "similar builds" can fit very different seat shapes and even sizes. The pelvis can be shaped quite differently (in profile), while the "build" can look very much the same. The angle of your tailbone can make a big difference. For example, With my pelvis shape and tailbone shape, I can ride in a 16.5" saddle with a flat seat and medium to high pommel VERY comfortably and correctly, without my knee being over the flap (I'm 5'9"). But in a slightly deep seat with a low pommel, it would have to be a 19" or so for me to ride even slightly correctly, and even then it's painful. But someone of the same height, similar build, that I know rides in a 17.5" Wintec Isabell correctly. I HATE the saddle and it feels like sitting on a postage stamp even in an 18".