The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse meat for lunch in Queens, NY?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

you know, i am a pretty hard core Vegetarian, have been most of my life, am a localvore, care about horses a great deal - but i don't have a problem with people eating horses and i don't get why others do?

are you a vegetarian or do you just protest eating horses? if so why?

I used to be a vegetarian, not particularly against horse slaughter...I'm just wondering what the heck they're thinking. And, I wouldn't be eating American horsemeat even it it was available. I prefer my meat drug and antibiotic free thank you. Did you read the article?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    you know, i am a pretty hard core Vegetarian, have been most of my life, am a localvore, care about horses a great deal - but i don't have a problem with people eating horses and i don't get why others do?
    Please google "horse slaughter" and find out why it's far worse than the fate of cows or pigs. Every step of the way it's brutal. And as a horse owner, I can't help but see how unnecessary and cruel it is.

are you a vegetarian or do you just protest eating horses? if so why?
    Agree. I don't like fish .. but I don't protest because the rest of the world likes it. As long as its legal eat whatever you like. Its your body/your choice.

As far as the its so much crueler then sheep or cows or chickens going to the abattior then lobby for a more practical or humane method . I am sure there are people out there who love and enjoy those particular animals as pets as well and would be mortified to consider eating them. To each his own
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

oh goody, the new slaughter thread...

First, most horses do not receive an over abundance of medications. Not even in the US.

Second, even food animals receive medications, dewormer, antibiotics, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Please google "horse slaughter" and find out why it's far worse than the fate of cows or pigs. Every step of the way it's brutal. And as a horse owner, I can't help but see how unnecessary and cruel it is.
    this is my last post here because it will wreck in about 10 min, but i am not against equine slaughter - in fact i am for it - if it can be done humanely.

it is better for us to do it here than ship them across country lines where we have ZERO control.

Post the link on the NYCLASS website. Maybe take some heat off the carriage drivers.

Spent recent week in NYC and really impressed with the horses and drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbow View Post
    Post the link on the NYCLASS website. Maybe take some heat off the carriage drivers.

Spent recent week in NYC and really impressed with the horses and drivers.
    They will actually try to capitalize on it and say, this is where the NYC carriage horses go when they "retire." Betcha $100. They don't care about horse slaughter unless they can allege the horse once pulled a carriage in NYC.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    They will actually try to capitalize on it and say, this is where the NYC carriage horses go when they "retire." Betcha $100. They don't care about horse slaughter unless they can allege the horse once pulled a carriage in NYC.

yeah, I bet you're right. Probably a bad suggestion.

this is my last post here because it will wreck in about 10 min, but i am not against equine slaughter - in fact i am for it - if it can be done humanely.

it is better for us to do it here than ship them across country lines where we have ZERO control.
    Ohhhhhh, welcome to the dark side, you evil horse abuser.
    Here, have a cookie.

Besides, I think your timing is off, this train had a wheel off the rails as soon as the send button was hit.

I would try it. But the article is all "eventually" and "not a priority" - my guess is it'll not happen at all, or it'll be only for some kind of special event.

I could eat my two right now...they are amazingly able to function drug free. Except for the 4x annual deworming.
    Which is less deworming than the average beef cow gets.
    If you eat beef, chicken, lamb/mutton or pork, you're eating the same things the average horse gets.

Now I'm not saying I WOULD eat my horses. (so stop clutching your pearls, folks)
    But I *could.* Maybe I'll mention that to them when I go feed lunch....a little Food Chain Reminder to keep them in line.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I would try it. But the article is all "eventually" and "not a priority" - my guess is it'll not happen at all, or it'll be only for some kind of special event.
    LOL, probably a good PR gimmic to get the people in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    So what?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I could eat my two right now...they are amazingly able to function drug free. Except for the 4x annual deworming.
    Which is less deworming than the average beef cow gets.
    If you eat beef, chicken, lamb/mutton or pork, you're eating the same things the average horse gets.

Now I'm not saying I WOULD eat my horses. (so stop clutching your pearls, folks)
    But I *could.* Maybe I'll mention that to them when I go feed lunch....a little Food Chain Reminder to keep them in line.
    Haha love this. Those threats only work when you DO NOT own and Alpha broodmare. If I dared to threaten mine with that she'd have me tied to a spit and be sending her minions for a molasses glaze before the last word left my mouth.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I could eat my two right now...

Maybe I'll mention that to them when I go feed lunch....a little Food Chain Reminder to keep them in line.
    Won't work. Trust me, mine is remarkably unaffected by my near-constant threats to make her into sashimi.

Which will be responded to with "One hoof to the head dear human. One hoof to the head..."

I'd try it, assuming it's from Canada and not Mexico (I trust their inspectors more.) I've eaten or sampled cow, pig, chicken, duck, goose, guinea, more kinds of fish than I can remember, crustaceans (before I developed an allergy), bivalves, squid, goat, elk, moose, kangaroo, roe deer, whitetail deer, alligator, rattlesnake, rabbit, bison, snails, and bowhead whale. What's one more species?

(And about the only reason I've never tried insects is they are close enough to crustaceans I'd be somewhat concerned.)

Two things that bother me about this ....

Is it because horse tastes good, or is it about the sensationalism? Is it a good tasting meat, that people will eat and then want to have more of, like pork? I doubt it.

Ok, but beyond that, horses are not raised here, or Canada, for meat purposes. The slaughter house is just the last ride for unwanted or unusuable horses, not animals that have been raised for human consumption. It's not a fine meat product, or a delicacy.

Horses are pets and work animals, not raised for food. I just don't get why these chefs seem to think putting them back in the culinary world is all that important, or necessary. I think they should just go back to serving us organ meats of pigs and cows, or eyeballs, or whatever, if they want some shock value.

I also agree that you have no idea what horse you are getting -- buted, wormed, supplemented -- you just don't know. Could be quite toxic, or not.

And for those that think that the slaughter process is the same for a horse, the techniques used are specific to other species, not to horses. It is cruel, at least to some degree. At least in Canada they try, Mexico, horrible.