The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My OTTB arrived very poor condition

This is how my OTTB arrived from Churchill Huntclub Thoroughbred sales.
    Very disappointed not what they advertised.

http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/x...hbred%20sales/
    "An ordinary trainer cannot hear a Horse speak, a Good trainer can, a Great trainer can hear them whisper and a Top Trainer can HEAR them Think." John O'Leary

Do a forum search on Churchill Hunt Club...

Those pictures.....that poor horse. How is the poor guy doing?

Yep, lots of information about those sellers here on COTH.

Poor horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

The person who is responsible for this deserves to be slapped.

Am I missing something? I just see a very very dirty horse with typical long TB feet. No cuts or sores and from those pictures I don't even see a single rib showing. Just looks like a OTTB in need of a bath and a farrier visit.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Am I missing something? I just see a very very dirty horse with typical long TB feet. No cuts or sores and from those pictures I don't even see a single rib showing. Just looks like a OTTB in need of a bath and a farrier visit.

I would have to agree. Sure, not the nicest thing to see coming of the trailer, but a bath and a visit from the farrier and you are good to go. It may look worse because the winter hair is coming through.

Default grocery time

How long off the track? Seems thinner than just racehorse fit. Do you have the ad picture? I would be bummed if that was not what I thought I was getting.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I dunno...I've never seen a hip like that on a horse in good weight. It would not surprise me if the ribbiness is covered up by a fuzzy winter coat, and I see some spots that look suspiciously like rain rot. Perhaps not emaciated, no, but not in good condition.

According to his race record, the horse hasn't raced since July 2011. That's over a year off the track, probably at pasture with minimal supervision. No surprise he'd look, well, like an OTTB who's been turned out for a year.

Sorry you didn't get what you expected. Jingles for you that he's otherwise as advertised.

I'm guessing that the photos have more of an impact when compared to the sale photos posted on their website (http://www.churchillhuntclub.com/images/dsc03506.jpg and http://www.churchillhuntclub.com/ima...03508_6etg.jpg)

... though as others have said, it's a shame you didn't search the forum before you bought instead of posting photos after the fact - there are numerous other threads, some dating back several years.
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

but imagine how happy this horse is to be Home

His hair is about 4 inches long. He was covered in dry mud, this is how Churchill Thoroughbreds shipped him to me. He's about 300lbs under weight.
    We found out he had ulcers, he is now clean of that. We have been working with this horse for months and still he is not safe for others to ride.

He spins around and tries to run you into a tree or fence rail. He'll w/t then all of sudden run sideways and start spinning then rear on you. Forget asking him to canter. He is worse. Sandy says she was cantering him in a field and doing cross rails...No pictures to prove it. Theres no way she was, the horse has anxiety attacks going into a canter.

We had him checked over thoroughly by vet and chiropractor. I found out this is what he did at the track.
    Due to the way he looked he had not been worked with.

Has anyone experience a horse doing this?
    "An ordinary trainer cannot hear a Horse speak, a Good trainer can, a Great trainer can hear them whisper and a Top Trainer can HEAR them Think." John O'Leary

1 members found this post helpful.

I would give him some time to adjust to you and start all over from the ground. Spend lots of time with him and start ground driving and then long lining. You can do eeverything you want before you actually get on him..
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by Feeltheride View Post
    His hair is about 4 inches long. He was covered in dry mud, this is how Churchill Thoroughbreds shipped him to me. He's about 300lbs under weight.
    We found out he had ulcers, he is now clean of that. We have been working with this horse for months and still he is not safe for others to ride.

He spins around and tries to run you into a tree or fence rail. He'll w/t then all of sudden run sideways and start spinning then rear on you. Forget asking him to canter. He is worse. Sandy says she was cantering him in a field and doing cross rails...No pictures to prove it. Theres no way she was, the horse has anxiety attacks going into a canter.

We had him checked over thoroughly by vet and chiropractor. I found out this is what he did at the track.
    Due to the way he looked he had not been worked with.

Has anyone experience a horse doing this?
    That kind of behavior is not all that unusual. He probably didn't like racing and developed resistances and now the resistances are still there because he doesn't know what else to do. He needs lots of training. I like what the other poster said. Ground driving would be great for him. I ground drive all of them at least a little bit.

Please tell us who he is. What is his JC name? How tall is he? How long have you had him?

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-617530

Is this your horse? Is that what you paid? If that's the case, I'd be VERY upset with the condition he showed up in. Heck, I was upset when my free horse showed up in that condition, nevermind one I paid for.

But regardless...you're speaking of all these red flags that showed up...and you ignored them.

Is this the same dark bay TB that was shipped from Churchill down to Florida that there was a long thread about a few months back? The details sound pretty much the same. Just curious...

Does look like they have just dragged him out of a field where he has been left to rot for a year and shipped him straight to you!
    I hope you get him sorted, poor boy.

We did work him on the lunge line and Round pen for 3 months. We couldn't ride him if we wanted to due to his back bone stuck up so bad.

He is good in the RP you take him out he pulls you up and down the arena.

@ Goforagallp No. that is not him, we did see him on Equinenow.
    He is dark brown and 16.1 the ad had him at 17.1.

@ Caryledee, yes

I am very fustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Feeltheride View Post
    We found out he had ulcers, he is now clean of that.
    I would expect ulcers in any OTTB and be surprised if they were not there.

Sorry you are not happy with your horse.

I must not be seeing something -- while he's not a shining specimen I see a dirty fuzzy horse that's a little underweight but doesn't look like he's about to die and his feet certainly don't look awful. With a bath and a trim, it doesn't appear that he would look much different from many off-track arrivals. I don't see any injuries? I think of how much weight my horse dropped both before and after I got him, in several cycles, there were times when I was genuinely concerned that he must be ill. But he was not and it just took time. It is certainly unprofessional to deliver a purchased horse without even bothering to brush it, but I guess I am missing some terrible thing in the photos?