The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Good luck!

And may the horse be with you!

I bet you didn't sleep much last night. Whether it's your first, or 101st, start, it's always exciting. I'll be rooting for your girl and checking the charts from work.

Here's Dan Illman's remarks in his Keeneland Babies column on the DRF...
    Nice - I'll be putting something down.

Good luck to them!

8. BLUEGRASS D'LITE (Bluegrass Cat - Unbridled Action) sold for $4,000 as a yearling and is by Grade 1 Haskell Invitational winner Bluegrass Cat (5-11, 1.7M, 3-4 at two, 1-2 in main track sprints), a stallion that is 22-136 (16%) with juvenile debut runners (7-50, 14%, $1.93 ROI with all debut runners in 2012). This is the first starter from the unraced dam (cost 90K as yearling). The dam is a half-sister to Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner Action This Day (2-9, 822K, 2-3 at two). Unbridled's Song is 14-85 (16%, $2.09 ROI) as the broodmare sire of debut runners in 2012. This is the trainer's first starter.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

22 minutes to post for the 5th race - and Julien has already two wins - then another 25 or so until the 6th and debut

Again the live video

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/racing-live-coverage

The 7th race will be interesting as a runner - Exothermic - has been administered in error with lasix.

Trainer Rusty Arnold said the commission veterinarian errantly gave the horse the drug.

“It should not have happened,” Arnold said. He said he believes it was an “honest mistake,” but a mistake nonetheless.

“It kind of points out that this isn’t as easy as everybody thinks it is,” Arnold said.

Arnold said he and the owner, who is opposed to using the drug, known commonly by its brand name Lasix, decided to run anyway.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Oct. 5, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: ETA the article just done on the mistake, worng race cited

19 minutes to go and odds are at 50-1 for #8 runner in the 6th race ....

... then 9 minutes to go and 31-1 so the wise money is shifting

Default great debut!

They set a pretty torrid opening quarter. She looked like she was settling well on the rail and, on the turn for home, looked like she had a lot of run left with nowhere to go. Rosie angled her out for some daylight and I think she finished pretty darn well. She got a lot of experience with some tough spots and showed a lot of heart. Congratulations! You should be proud of her effort today!

For those of us driving and can't see what place did she finish?

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

8th, but alot of heart shown (racing what it appeared to be between horses). Would add to what foundationmare said above, was a very quick half, too. Not an easy career, but it hooks you for life.

Congrats, you went out there and did it...now you are seasoned!!

Default I'm waiting for the chart to come up

I think she was around 8th. There was a blanket charge to the wire, then a gap and she was forwardly placed in that second pack. Looking at the replay, she was inside, then between, then outside. I like to see a horse with some gumption like that!

Wow,

very impressive looking at our top trainers (KY) with years and years of experience in the same race.

You did AWESOME!!!!!
    And so did your filly!!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Good job!

(Looks like an exciting day there today. Why am I still in NY....?)
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

It was really a thrill to be there today.... here are a couple of the photos I took of Trainer, Jockey and Filly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaurenN1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	36826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaurenN.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	36827  
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Hey, you can say you beat Todd Pletcher in your first race!
    And Steve Asmussen!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    And Steve Asmussen!
    And right behind D. Wayne! Pretty darned impressive company there.

While I think Lauren's filly made a great debut, it should be noted that the "greats" mentioned here as as easy to beat as anyone else when the horse doesn't feel like channeling the spirit of Secretariat on the day.

Just because it was Lauren's first race as a trainer didn't mean her filly was any less likely to win than Asmussen's, Pletcher's or Lukas's fillies.

I say this because I have seen life as an ex rider/asst at some small and BIG barns. We won and lost at about the same rate at both. And in fact the Triple Crown winning race trainer lost more because he had more horses and thus the horses were given less one on one than that of the small time claiming string which was very successful. (In the money a whopping 80% one season)

Now sure the claiming trainer had a different level of owners who didn't push to run their horses in "fancy" races that were in fact over the head of the horses's abilities (as we saw at the BNT barn a lot)

It's really hard sometimes for folks to believe they can win. But honestly the most successful folks in life I know have always worked with a swagger of confidence in themselves and a refusal to acknowledge that they didn't deserve to win. And thus I believe that faith continues to propel those strong enough to believe in themselves forward to their goals faster than those who battle self doubt.

Congrats again Lauren. My "driveway roomie" and dear friend. I know this will be the start of a long and good career.

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

OP, sorry for “dated” post. Win loose or draw you had a horse in the “big show”. Your excitement is not lost on me having lived and worked in the horse business of Lexington for many years. Have had the pleasure of owning but not training horses in the Keeneland paddock, and this is Keeneland, not Ellis, Turfway, no disrespect to either. I hope you savored the moment. The same as I did when I saddled my first jumper (training flat race, finished a tight race but still last) at Saratoga last year. After umpteen years of “hanging out” in the paddock mostly as “one of the crowd”. For what it’s worth I know just about every “name” trainer on the grounds that started out just like you. Congrats! You are the horsemen I root for.

Thanks for posting the pics DLee! I have to heap more praise on the OP for such a nicely turned out filly!

She looks so cute with her braided tail and markers on her hinny! Way to go!

Thank you all. She did everything right, was all class beginning to end, broke fourth and was well placed in the second flight of horses and passed tiring rivals despite getting into heavy traffic in the stretch. Her owners are happy, I am very pleased, and she tried to strike her groom today so she will be going back to work tomorrow. Thank you all for your kind words of support and watch out Churchill, we're coming for glory with a little more ground to cover (7 1/2 on the dirt 11/3)
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."