The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Addict to Grooming + questions

Any other groomers, pro or not, out there? I’ve got questions.

I am really loving it. If I am anxious or bored, I can eat, clean the house, or brush the Pap. I’ve been choosing brush the Pap more and more. I bookmarked two grooming forums and one grooming blog (cuz I can’t find any more ) that I read 5 days/wk.

I have one little Papillon. A ‘wash and wear’ breed with an easy coat. Sometimes I wish he was 50lbs so I’d have more to brush! I brush barn cats, clip the nails of tigers, bathe and brush out matted, flea-ridden, tobacco-greased McNasties.

Since that still isn’t enough to groom, I do (brush, bathe, brush, hvac, nails, trim) friends’ dogs for free -they pay the pro $60 - 100 but I'm not pro. I have dyed, inserted feather extensions, and stuck on rhinestones just to see if I could and how it would look.

Instead of training fronts, weaves, and out of sight stays, I'd rather brush. For the first time ever, I am day dreaming about white froofroos -poodles, Cresties, Afghans- because they call for more grooming than Papillons.

Anyone else have this sickness?

Actually, you make it sound like a compulsive behaviour, albeit it a productive one.

From Wikipedia:

Three types

Judith L. Rapoport proposed that there were three main types of compulsive behaviors - checkers, exacters, and washers.[5] Checkers are obliged over and over again to make sure they have not left the lights on, or doors and windows unlocked; exacters to create symmetry in anything from shoe laces to eyebrows; washers to endlessly clean themselves or the articles around them.
    You might ask local rescues and/or the local pound if you could groom some of the ones who come to them in bad shape. The dogs are much more adoptable if they're clean and cute.

StG

I really like the idea of grooming shelter animals. You'll have fun and help the animals at the same time.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Where are you? I have a standard poodle that needs some brushing...60 pounds of poodle to brush!

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post

You might ask local rescues and/or the local pound if you could groom some of the ones who come to them in bad shape. The dogs are much more adoptable if they're clean and cute.

StG
    That's a great idea! I know my collie/sheltie rescue is always very thankful to find volunteers to bath and groom.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

OMG! Come here! I've got 3 Corgis and a Cattle Dog....Please! *drops to knees, begging*

So anyone into grooming? Fav tools & products? Add-ons? Japanese style?

I'm in the DC area. A Poodle would be a whole new adventure. Wanna dye it for Halloween?!? Corgis and ACDs? That is so serious shedding! I love getting that hair out.

If you don't get it, I get it . Though you could try it. Instant gratification when you see that pile o' hair in the trash instead of floating around your house!

Someday I'll get a real comb and shears. I'm still using a plastic comb and pick for $3 from Walmart. Anyone have tools collecting dust, I'll pay shipping! I don't want payment, friends have offered, but bartering/replacing my supplies will be necessary after the next groom this Sun. My pup and hers enjoy the same woods: we came in packed with burs yesterday. There goes all the ShowSheen.

I don't have real clippers to cut a shelter dog down to a "smoothie" nor do I have the experience. I'm just an amateur playing around with amateur tools.

I groom two cocker spaniels who are normally kept in full show coats but this summer I took a 7 blade to the both of them and made them naked pups due to the oppressive heat. OMG - the horror!!! I cannot wait until they grow out!

Now, keeping a cocker in show coat means a bath and blow out every 4 days, daily brush out and a face clipping every other week or so. Thinning shears are your friend. As far as detangler/mat remover/burr remover, I've fallen in LOVE with this stuff I get from Target - Kinky Curly Knot Today. It's in the ethnic hair section. It literally just breaks things up and it smells like mangos. It's all natural, not greasy and will not leave hair brittle. And a bottle lasts FOREVER.

I AM a pro dog groomer. Wouldn't say I am addicted to grooming, grooming 6-8 dogs day in and day out takes that out of you but overall I enjoy my job. It certainly isn't always fun, you get pooped on, peed on, drooled on, bitten, scratched but that comes with the job. I am very good at getting aggressive dogs done when no other groomer can and they usually get better with me as time goes on.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...78686578_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...131_1646_n.jpg
    "swirl' clip on my poodle

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6422212_n.jpg

Sometimes you do get to help dogs too.
    Had a dog come in today with severely embedded nails. The nails had been left so long they had grown around and punctured into the dog and had grown in a good half an inch or so. It must have just been excruciating for the poor dog.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...98194100_n.jpg
    White part of nail is all overgrown nail. Hard to tell in this picture but it's punctured through the dog close to the top of the pic.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...37303698_n.jpg
    The hole that was left by the nail is quite visible in this pic
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...39190090_n.jpg
    The nail itself, covered in blood.

Both of this dogs hind dewclaws were like this.

I'm not a groomer but I have noticed on my older dogs, their outside nail will grow under itself more and I have to be very careful when doing them, to dremel the underside to help it grow straighter and angle it correctly.

was this an older dog?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I'm not a groomer but I have noticed on my older dogs, their outside nail will grow under itself more and I have to be very careful when doing them, to dremel the underside to help it grow straighter and angle it correctly.

was this an older dog?
    Not that old. It's very common for dewclaws, especially hind dewclaws to curl and when left long enough to puncture back through the pad or leg. It's just how they grow.

Default Thinning shears

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Thinning shears are your friend. As far as detangler/mat remover/burr remover, I've fallen in LOVE with this stuff I get from Target - Kinky Curly Knot Today.
    Thanks for the product tip! I'll look for that to replace my ShowSheen.

Now what thinning shears are best for casual, home use? Do places like Sally's Beauty Supply carry them? Mine pull. Is that poor quality, poor technique, both?

I see a little Japanese -in the Pom- and a little Creative. Your Poodle's swirl seemed a popular design in the Abstract Runway entries at Hershey Groom Expo last month.

I saw a Japanese dog grooming blog somewhere, i think it may have been linked on one of the menagerie threads a while back. Hilarious and amazing what they can do to those dogs (who are good sports for the ordeal lol!).
    I bought a dematting blade from pet edge recently. I'm not sure if it's *really* the best thing to use on our older aussie girl's coat (I'm sure there are ways to get rid of dead undercoat that are better for the hair), but i can't tell you how much better she looks now with ALL that gross undercoat gone. Her fur was so thick it was hard to scratch her skin through all of it, but now her coat is shiny, bouncy, and all an easy to manage length. I'm definitely buying another one of those blades for her.
    Funny, it didn't work hardly at all for our other aussie who has a much thinner, wash-n-go type coat. It was good for the golden shepherd mix though!

If you do decide to get clippers, do not go halfway and buy a $30 pair from a big box store. Get actual, heavy duty clippers with interchangeable blades- not just blade guards. The cheapo ones are like trying to cut celery with crayola scissors!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    I brush barn cats, clip the nails of tigers...
    I'm in the DC area.
    Oh MAN I would so pay you to come and handle my cats' claws! And you can brush them, too... that way they won't shed as much; and I wouldn't feel like such a bad mom (I don't brush them as often as I should... as in, ever).

But they have my number (IOW, I am their bitch); and they won't let me trim their talons... this means that the door frames in my house look like a small Grizzly bear lives there (despite the many scratching posts at their disposal); and that my brand-new couch now has "decorative perforations" in the material. Which can't be repaired.

So let me know if you'd be interested... they're not dogs, and they don't have long hair, but they'll give you something to groom!

(I'm in the Southern MD area, about 30-40ish minutes outside of DC)

ETA: I also agree that volunteering to groom shelter animals would be a great outlet for your "extreme interest"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I guess I count as on the line of addiction but showing a schnauzer requires a certain degree of insanity.

I roll Dexters coat for about a hour twice a week along with weekly nail trimmings and nairing his ears every two weeks. Rolling is my own weird zen. Compared to most folks I am really lax about his furnishings and I let his co-owner handle the scissoring work.

I bet you would have a blast grooming a schnauzer for the ring. Roll and clip. Bathe and apply detangler, anti-static, shine, wax, and mousse. Blowdry against the grain with a slicker brush. Cholesterol and chalk. Brush, fluff, back comb, hair spray. More hair spray, more chalk. Final scissor work and it's ring time. At my best I can go start to finish in just under 2 hours if I don't take a break and I love every second of it.

I also roll a shepherd mix and occasionally do some clipper work with my parents wheatens and a friends aussie.

Sounds like you need to hook up with a haired breed that interests you and find a reputable breeder that shows. Help out around the kennel and work your way up to a grooming assistant at shows. Some breeders aren't open to this type of situation but others would jump at the opportunity for a competent set of hands a weekend or two a month.

Now what thinning shears are best for casual, home use? Do places like Sally's Beauty Supply carry them? Mine pull. Is that poor quality, poor technique, both?
    Both. It takes some practice to use them and good quality shears make a big difference. The more teeth the better the blend. Sally's will have them. These are a mid-grade quality thinning shear from Sally: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Logo-Silv...cgid=Hair12-02 On sale for $50.

You can get these wholesale from PetEdge.com for $40:

http://www.petedge.com/product/Maste...ears/45769.uts

I wouldn't skimp out and expect something great from a set of shears that costs $9.99. I believe I paid around $100 for mine and they're only a mid-grade. I wasn't about to splurge and spend $300 on the high end ones. It's amazing how expensive some of the grooming tools are!

GraceLikeRain - Roll? Like hair rollers?

StG
    who manages to shave or scissor her standard poodle farm dog a couple times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    GraceLikeRain - Roll? Like hair rollers?

StG
    who manages to shave or scissor her standard poodle farm dog a couple times a year.
    LOL.

If you've ever touched a clipped schnauzer you would notice that the coat feels silky and soft because all you are feeling is the soft undercoat. A rolled schnauzer coat (also known as a jacket) should feel coarse and wiry since the undercoat is pulled out and the tough wire hairs are given "breathing room" to grow and flourish.

Rolling refers to the process of pulling out the longest wire hairs to keep the coat at a specific length. It is incredibly time intensive and very easy to mess up. If you pull too many hairs in one area it creates a dip which can ruin the silhouette.

Most people pull out all of the hair in a specific area at set times. This is known as stage stripping and is pretty foolproof but can be uncomfortable for the dog which is why I choose to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I bet you would have a blast grooming a schnauzer for the ring. Roll and clip. Bathe and apply detangler, anti-static, shine, wax, and mousse. Blowdry against the grain with a slicker brush. Cholesterol and chalk. Brush, fluff, back comb, hair spray. More hair spray, more chalk. Final scissor work and it's ring time. At my best I can go start to finish in just under 2 hours if I don't take a break and I love every second of it.
    WOW. Yes, this reminds me why I got in Ridgebacks. Wash and go, even for the ring Just have to make sure the nails are addressed. Whiskers off is optional.