The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartGut

Hello all!

Wondering who's had luck with having their ulcer-y horse on a maintenance of SmartGut over the poprocks?

In reading reviews of the SmartDigest Ultra, seems people have had luck with that as well, but talking with SmartPak, they would recommend the SMartGut over the Digest for ulcers.

ANy experiences would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!

That's because the SmartDigest is a probiotic, and doesn't do its work in the stomach, so its really not linked to preventing ulcers or stomach health in general.

I had my mare on SmartGut - I didn't see any difference. Call me skeptic, but the ingredients just didn't seem to have miracle results in any studies.

For what its worth - a friend had a mare that had real bad ulcers about a year ago now. She was hospitalized and on fluids for days because she was down adn out. They successfully treated them with GastroGard, confirmed because she was rescoped. When my friend found out abou tthe ulcers, she started the horse immediately on SmartGut and SmartDigest.

About half way through Sepetmber, friend brought horse to a 4-day horse show, without the aid of UlcerGard. Her reason: "well, she's been on smartgut"

The 2nd day of the show the horse was colicky and not well. My friend ended up bringing her home.

She's been on SmartGut for a year, starting with a "fresh tummy" and I'm certain the colicky effects were from not using an ulcer preventative for the duration. And IMO, the smartgut didn't do anything to help in that case.

i don't figure it can hurt, but I guess my point is don't expect it to do a whole lot.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I am curious also. My mare just came back from the trainer with ulcer symptoms. I am treating her now but want to use something for general maintenance and prevention. I just ordered the Smartgut yesterday.

When I initially got her she had symptoms, which in hindsight I realize were ulcer related, but could have been other things as well. Honestly, I originally thought she was just a picky eater. Eventually got her eating well and put weight on her with the aid of alfalfa hay and turnout (standard for me.)

Until she went back to the trainer she was doing great. I will be more diligent and proactive in the future.

I have my horse on SmartGut for maintenance/prevention (after treating for ulcers with sixty days of GastroGard) and I've been happy with the results. I haven't seen a return of the behavior that first indicated that he had ulcers. Despite having ulcers, he was fat, shiny, and a great eater so I can't really judge whether or not he has ulcers by his body condition/appetite. We do still give UlcerGard when traveling and when under a lot of stress (he had a couple of surgeries and got UlcerGard for a week after each), as an extra boost.
    Last edited by hj0519; Oct. 3, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

My older gelding does great on it!! I have not had to retreat him for ulcers since he has been on it. I have also moved him to new barns twice and completly changed his schedule.

Now my green bean I put on it just as a well it can't hurt type of thing. I brought him out of the field and started him on a full training program.

He was pulled out of the killer pen after bowing his tendon on the track where he then spent the greater part of 3-4 years in a field with sporadic training before I bought him.

I have yet to have to treat any ulcers since I have had him ( 1 1/2 years)

I've had my guy, who's got a delicate tummy, on Smart Gut for the last 6 months. It seems to help him, and make work more comfortable. His poop is more solid, anyway. I don't think it's really a substitute for Ulcer Guard or Omeprozole for ulcers, though.

THanks everyone, I guess a little more back story would be better?

My guy was also fat and shiny and eating great when treated.

He has already been treated for ulcers and I have him on the maintenance dose of Omeprazole.

I haven't had to take it myself for a long time, but recently had to. It got me thinking, they only recommend humans to take it for 14 days and not to treat again for at least 4 months. Now I understand I'm not a horse

BUT I was thinking an alternative would be good for maintenance/prevention, with still having omeprazole on hand when needed. I thought COth would be the place to hear some first hand experience on it!

Thanks again! Keep 'em coming!

Mine was delivered today. I cannot say it smells very good but my relatively picky eater ate it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My ulcer prone boy was on it for almost a year after treatment with GastroGuard. After about a year, at the same time as the previous year - he again showed ulcer signs. I treated him again, this time with pop rocks and discontinued the Smart Gut. I don't think it did anything other than lighten my wallet