The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Owner's Hoofcare Course

Has anyone found a basic owner's hoofcare course?

I just want some oversight using a rasp, pulling a loose shoe kind of thing.

Yes, I believe I could do it safely now, but I just prefer a basic course to give me a better understanding of things.

Oklahoma Horseshoeing School offers such a course, but it's 3 weeks and some reviews have been cautionary.

Kentucky horseshoeing school will accomodate with a 2 week program and I believe this would be a good 2 weeks spent. Still, it is hard for me to get 2 weeks away.

KC La Pierre has a 1 week course in DEC, in Ocala, and this fits the bill in time I have available, but a couple of things concern me about this program.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

KC's 5 day course is fantastic.

Ditto on KC. Best money you will ever spend.

Where are you located?

I took Patti Stiller's one week horseowner's trimming class in Penrose CO and it was a godsend. I live where there simply are no farriers and needed to learn to do the hoofcare on the hospital ponies here in Haiti. She is very good at explaining the anatomy and physiology of why the hoof works the way it does, and how a trim can support or hinder that function. She is also a very patient instructor!

Link here: http://hoofcareonline.com/TWO_WEEK_HOOFCARE_CLASS.html
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Where are you located?

I took Patti Stiller's one week horseowner's trimming class in Penrose CO and it was a godsend. I live where there simply are no farriers and needed to learn to do the hoofcare on the hospital ponies here in Haiti. She is very good at explaining the anatomy and physiology of why the hoof works the way it does, and how a trim can support or hinder that function. She is also a very patient instructor!

Link here: http://hoofcareonline.com/TWO_WEEK_HOOFCARE_CLASS.html
    I checked with Patti and she didn't have any courses scheduled.
    That was 1 year ago. She might be so overwhelmed with advanced requirements, she's not doing the basic owner's course any longer. I will check because she would probably be my first choice.

Very happy to hear people are satisfied with the 1 week KC course. I'm not trying to shoe a horse or adopt a philosophy...just want some basics. I think his 1 week course will meet my needs.

Thanks so much for the comments.